Post subject: Game 135: Pirates vs. Reds
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:22 am 

At PNC Park
Game time: 7:05 PM ET
Probable starters:
CIN: Luis Castillo (2-7, 3.26 ERA)
PIT: Gerrit Cole (11-8 3.99 ERA)

Quote:
Five days after wrapping up a series in Cincinnati, the Pirates and Reds will meet again this weekend at PNC Park. Both clubs may feature some new faces, however, as Major League rosters are set to expand from 25 to 40 players before Friday's series opener.

The Bucs took two of three from the Reds last weekend at Great American Ball Park, their first series victory of the year against Cincinnati. Pittsburgh right-hander Gerrit Cole pitched the most memorable game of that series when he "Little Leagued" the Reds, as manager Clint Hurdle said, with seven shutout innings and a home run off Luis Castillo in the Pirates' 1-0 victory on Saturday. The two pitchers will square off in a rematch on Friday.

Cole's homer was the only damage done against Castillo, as the 24-year-old right-hander allowed two other hits and one walk while tying a career high with nine strikeouts. It was the end of a strong month for Castillo, who recorded a 2.76 ERA and 32 strikeouts while holding opponents to a .178 batting average in five August starts despite going 0-3.

Cole is also rounding into form down the stretch of an up-and-down season. He has worked at least six innings in each of his last 10 starts, posting a 3.17 ERA with 68 strikeouts in 65 1/3 innings during that stretch.
Things to know about this game

• Andrew McCutchen might be more ready than anyone to turn the page on August. After performing at his MVP-level best in June and July, McCutchen slashed .222/.300/.283 with only one home run and eight RBIs in 28 August games. McCutchen's average exit velocity is slightly up from his hot two-month stretch, according to Statcast, but his average launch angle ticked down from 15 degrees to 12.4 degrees in August.

• For all their past success against Cole, only one current Reds hitter has homered against him: Adam Duvall. Scooter Gennett and Billy Hamilton have been particularly tough on Cole, posting identical .391 on-base percentages in 23 career plate appearances each.

• When Cole outdueled Castillo on Saturday in Cincinnati, Cole's 101.3-mph homer off Castillo was the second-hardest batted ball the Pirates hit off the Reds' starter. Meanwhile, Cole only gave up two batted balls that had higher exit velocities.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/201708302 ... _pk=492106

#GONUTTINGSWALLET

Post subject: Re: Game 135: Pirates vs. Reds
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:20 am 

Suckitude!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:25 am 

I hope reds catch these bumbling tools..be fitting end of season. perhaps something would change then? doubtful

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:52 pm 

Contemplating making this my last season for starting these threads. I think I care less about the Pirates than the Pirates do at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 pm 

bam morris wrote:
I hope reds catch these bumbling tools..be fitting end of season. perhaps something would change then? doubtful

Jack, you are a good man. You deserve better than what Nutting has given you. Thanks for the good work.

How can the Pirates ever win? I believe the most realistic scenario is that enough wunderkinds get here sooner than later at which time they all must live up to the hype. Maybe the first year might be growing pains. Maybe years two and three would be an open window before they had to get paid and Nutting would trade them. Keeping it going would depend on filtering in more wunderkinds to replace the outgoing players each year hoping they'd be producers as well. Shopping at the Dollar Store for FA players will continue.

Bam, the Nut had his story set until the Cubs underachieved through the All Star game. Cubs are too good in 2017 -- not wise to overpay in 2017. Keep that financial flexibility in place, you know. Maybe 2018 or 2019? Then the Cubs went and made him look bad by carrying the Pirates until August, as did the rest of the division.

Bam, if attendance had remained high the Nut would know fans will still pay for bad baseball -- why cut his profits by raising payroll to give them good baseball if they would pay for bad baseball?

In fact, attendance is down about 15% I believe. Though he created the bad will through miserly spending, and put an inferior product on the field resulting in losing, the Nut will reverse that spin. He'll blame declining attendance in a small market as to why he has to cut that payroll to stay afloat -- no worries though -- wunderkinds coming -- 3 to 5 years away -- who you gonna believe, the Nut or your lying eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:35 am 

I like the game threads as a forum to bitch if nothing else..i hate the miser who own this team.. he has no intention on winning unless he lucks up and planets align..hes about max profits each and every week; month ; year. only hope for pirates ever succeeding is new ownership committed to winning as a fun hobby..not a super frugal scrooge who just uses the system to enrich his accounts.
cant compete with cubs? your right..but this team cant compete with a down trodden cards team or brewers..the reds are better too..look how far this teams fallen since the big playoff ''game'' when opitimism was rampant..this shit we call owner has frittered it all away.. now at point he gives up trying to win or even fool anyone hes a cheap bastard..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:07 pm 

I don't think the team cares anymore either.

If I was on the team, I wouldn't.

Why go all out for an owner that finally proved beyond all doubt that he cares about money above all else?

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

Last edited by Jeemie on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:33 pm 

the nutting and gm defenders who lurked around before have even gone away to hide.. they cant even justify the pettiness and greed.