It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nicasio
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:45 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
I got to give the Pirates some credit here. They aren't even trying to sugar coat or hide their miserliness anymore.

As they shouldn't. 2015 was their zenith. I don't know their numbers (I know you do) but they obviously are not willing to spend more to compete with Chicago or ST Louis. Joke of a team, bigger joke of a league.

A business shouldn't outright disregard its customers to this degree. People only put up with so much. Is the $600K they are saving worth taking another PR hit? They make many roster moves over the course of year in which the financial impact to the bottom line is a motivating factor. The cynics amongst us believe that is the only factor ever considered in their decisions. But generally there are also some baseball performance factors involved in most decisions, and usually even the most blatant of salary dumps still have a whiff of some sort of reasoning that makes sense from a baseball/organization building standpoint. Yeah, it is mostly bull shit, but at least there is a little something for that bull shit to stick too. But they getting further and further from that with recent decisions. And this one is pretty indefensible. And given how little it actually saved it wasn't worth the heat they are taking. They are already seeing a pretty big attendance drop. It is going to be worse next year. If this was the last straw for 150 season ticket holders then this moved cost them some money.

I am not buying saving money. I think they kept him around just in case they had a snow balls chance in hell. It fell apart, they dumped him so they could pitch some young guys as they have no plans to resign him because I am guessing he will get at least double what he is making now. Wish they could get rid of Jaso too, but nobody would be dumb enough to claim him.

Stupid team, dumber league, Go Pens, Go Steelers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:50 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
FWIW, the Pirates are getting blasted both locally and nationally for this move, and Neal's "explanation" for the move is getting equal derision.

Maybe...just maybe...the corner is turning on just how cheap Nutting can get while still pretending to build a competitor.

I don't know if that matters, however...because he'll still own the team...and if he takes a PR hit for this...he might just ride the spiral downwards as long as he's making some semblance of a profit.

At any rate...it IS looking more and more like 2013-15 was the zenith of a Nutting-owned team.

If anybody thinks they have a chance to be a contender over 162 with this Cubs team in the division, they are delusional. 2015 was it - they didn't make it - Nut isn't going to spend money on the team - it will be another 5-10 years and all the stars will have to align - great league!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:09 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
A business shouldn't outright disregard its customers to this degree. People only put up with so much. Is the $600K they are saving worth taking another PR hit? They make many roster moves over the course of year in which the financial impact to the bottom line is a motivating factor. The cynics amongst us believe that is the only factor ever considered in their decisions. But generally there are also some baseball performance factors involved in most decisions, and usually even the most blatant of salary dumps still have a whiff of some sort of reasoning that makes sense from a baseball/organization building standpoint. Yeah, it is mostly bull shit, but at least there is a little something for that bull shit to stick too. But they getting further and further from that with recent decisions. And this one is pretty indefensible. And given how little it actually saved it wasn't worth the heat they are taking. They are already seeing a pretty big attendance drop. It is going to be worse next year. If this was the last straw for 150 season ticket holders then this moved cost them some money.

I am not buying saving money. I think they kept him around just in case they had a snow balls chance in hell. It fell apart, they dumped him so they could pitch some young guys as they have no plans to resign him because I am guessing he will get at least double what he is making now. Wish they could get rid of Jaso too, but nobody would be dumb enough to claim him.

Stupid team, dumber league, Go Pens, Go Steelers.

They don't need another team to claim a player to get rid of him. They do another team to claim a player to get rid of his salary. And that is why this was a money dump. If it was a about playing time there are a couple of other guys that should have been shown the door too. By the way, the Pirates decided not to call up a single player today for the Sept 1st expanded rosters. They did however activate 40 year old relief pitcher Joaquin Benoit from the disabled list. That makes all kinds of sense because as you know Juan Nicasio was dumped so these young guys could get some work down the stretch :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:07 am 

Did I say I wanted them to get rid of Jaso because of money? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: The Nicasio comment was a theory. I really have no idea why they got rid of him. I am just not buying a money dump with 1 month left in the season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:11 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Did I say I wanted them to get rid of Jaso because of money? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: The Nicasio comment was a theory. I really have no idea why they got rid of him. I am just not buying a money dump with 1 month left in the season.

I never said you did. I'm just shooting holes in your theory that Nicasio was dumped to give playing time to other players. Money is the only reasonable explanation. If it wasn't about money then why not get rid of Benoit to clear time for younger pitchers? Why not get rid of Jaso to clear time for younger players? The only reasonable explanation is they saw an opportunity to shave a few bucks before the books close on this season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:35 am 

I am not buying your theory. How do you know that they don't want to give more time to other pitchers in their bull pen over the last month of the season. You don't know. I don't know. Just like you don't know their financial statement. It's all guess work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:17 am 

Jeemie wrote:
You need to go to the TribLive story and read NH's spin for yourselves. There's no comment I could make that would do it justice. It was breathtakingly absurd.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1268 ... 8d96255b36

ha..6 million less payroll then last yours cheap ass showing...fine job neal...way to go all in!! way to rock financial flexability!..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:53 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
I am not buying your theory. How do you know that they don't want to give more time to other pitchers in their bull pen over the last month of the season. You don't know. I don't know. Just like you don't know their financial statement. It's all guess work.

You mean like more work for 40 year Joaquin Benoit or the 33 year old Wade Leblanc who were both activated the day after Nicasio was dumped???? There really is no guessing about this one. They didn't call up a single pitcher on Sept 1st when the rosters expanded. They did activate two pitchers from the DL. One is 40 years old. The other is 33 years old.

By the way, Neal Huntington said on the radio show today his only regret about Nicasio waiver was that it was leaked. Say what Neal? And his speculation is that rival clubs leaked it to the press to embarrass the Pirates. As if they need help embarrassing themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:33 am 

Jeemie wrote:
You need to go to the TribLive story and read NH's spin for yourselves. There's no comment I could make that would do it justice. It was breathtakingly absurd.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1268 ... 8d96255b36

It's confirmed. Neal Huntington is a loon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 am 

SteelPro wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

You mean like more work for 40 year Joaquin Benoit or the 33 year old Wade Leblanc who were both activated the day after Nicasio was dumped???? There really is no guessing about this one. They didn't call up a single pitcher on Sept 1st when the rosters expanded. They did activate two pitchers from the DL. One is 40 years old. The other is 33 years old.

By the way, Neal Huntington said on the radio show today his only regret about Nicasio waiver was that it was leaked. Say what Neal? And his speculation is that rival clubs leaked it to the press to embarrass the Pirates. As if they need help embarrassing themselves.

:lol: :lol:

Just when you think rock bottom has been reached...Neal gets out some dynamite and blasts...

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next