It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bell VS other RB's
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:04 pm 

There was no thread regarding Tuitt's extension so. Inquiring minds...
Nothing has been mentioned for likely good reason about Tuitt's impending extension. We've seen Kolbert get his after Tomlin got his. I can see Tuitt getting his sometime this week before the Browns game.
This from Labs asked and answered column this morning.
Quote:
Question: are they any closer to signing Tuitt to an extension? The Steelers typically don't negotiate any longer when the first game starts, correct??

Answer: Yes, the deadline for Stephon Tuitt to sign a contract extension is 12:59 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 10. http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and- ... 6a67b6e7f9

Last edited by Steelafan77 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tuitt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:30 pm 

If they get it done it and Haden doesn't pull a Donnell Woolford, it will have been a rather successful offseason.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:33 pm 

Fully agreed Chicago. Honestly, this has been the best offseason I've followed since the 1990's. The staff went above and beyond anything I could have sarcstically hoped for. This offseason came as such a surprise I'm still in a bit of shock wrapping my head around it all. Surreal!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:37 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Fully agreed Chicago. Honestly, this has been the best offseason I've followed since the 1990's. The staff went above and beyond anything I could have sarcstically hoped for. This offseason came as such a surprise I'm still in a bit of shock wrapping my head around it all. Surreal!

I think they made more moves this off season than they have have since we got Jerome Bettis combined.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:27 pm 

Looks like the Steelers got Wilcox 2yrs $5.5Mil. $2.375 this season and $3.125 for 2018. So Wilcox salary of $2.375 for 2017 is a cap hit this season. Which leaves the Steelers $5Mil in cap space. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/

Unless I missed something or the spotrac numbers are inaccurate I don't see how they can sign Tuitt to his extension this week. Perhaps one/some of you more mathematically intune fans can explain it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 pm 

Well, there are ways to get creative with what we have left.

For example I read that Tampa may have eaten the $1 million roster bonus? Wilcox signed a 2 year $6.25 million deal where he was supposed to have a $1 million roster bonus? So, if they picked it up (Tampa) wouldn't the amount of his contract be just $5.25 million?

I see he has some sort of incentive bonus, probably tied to playing time for $250,000, so that is how I come up with the $5.25 million.

The first year he has a base salary of $2.125 million, the Steelers could convert that to a signing bonus, which would be prorated over this year and next, so he would only count $1.06 million this season.

The other option is that Art Moats is scheduled to earn $2.25 million in base salary this season.

They just brought back Steven Johnson so they have 10 LBers again, but Moats should be nervous. If Tuitt is to be signed and they need money, Moats and his $2.25 million may be needed to make it happen.

Here is the sticking point. If Moats is on the roster for that first game and then is cut, I am pretty sure he can put in a claim and get that full amount for the season that was coming to him. NFL contracts are not guaranteed but there are some points of that not true. If you are a vet, and are on the roster for that 1st game, you are pretty much guaranteed to see that money for the entire season. So, the time to cut Moats is between now and Saturday.

And of course they can always go to the usual list of suspects and do a restructure. I know Gilbert has been making some noise lately about how he is maybe unhappy with his current contract. Maybe they convert some of his base salary to a signing bonus this year to free up some money for Tuitt and make Gilbert happy in the process. Gilbert is to make $4 million in base salary this season.

They could restructure that $4 million, convert $2-3 million of that to a signing bonus and spread it out over the next 3 seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:37 pm 

Could they not just make it an actual extension and leave his cap number basically the same and give him a roster bonus and all the signing bonus kick in next year when the extension actually kicks in? Throw him 2 million this week put in a roster bonus for april 1 or march 1 and have his actual salary jump up next season?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:57 pm 
stillthere wrote:
Could they not just make it an actual extension and leave his cap number basically the same and give him a roster bonus and all the signing bonus kick in next year when the extension actually kicks in? Throw him 2 million this week put in a roster bonus for april 1 or march 1 and have his actual salary jump up next season?

Yes....

Contrary to popular myth any team can sign any player for whatever. The supposed salary cap is extremely fungible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:19 pm 

Tuitt is in the last year of his contract. He is to make $1,048,561 in base salary, he counts $1,466,642 against the cap (the signing bonus prorated portion is $418,081).

I think Tuitt will get more than what Cam Heyward got, and Cam signed for 6 years, $59 million with a $12 million signing bonus.

Heyward got a $12 million signing bonus, DeCastro got $16 million, Brown got $19 million.

I believe Tuitt should see a contract like 5 years, $55 million, with a $15-16 million signing bonus and probably roster bonuses totaling some 10 million in the 2nd and 3rd years of his new contract which is what the Steeler have been doing of late with Decastro and Heyward contracts.

So, even if the Steelers start him out with a base salary of $1 million you still have that signing bonus to contend with, which spread out over 5 years is still going to add $3+ million to his cap total this year.

So, say $1 million for his base, $418,000 remaining from his original signing bonus, and then an additional $3-3.2 million from the new signing bonus. You add that up and it comes out to $4.4 million, which is up substantially from that $1.46 million that he currently counts against the cap.

They need to come up with $3 million to sign Tuitt. If they cut Moats and restructure Gilbert than that easily allows them to sign Tuitt and have enough money leftover to operate comfortably as the season progresses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:44 pm 

Besides locking up Tuitt (which is a good unto itself), we need to lock him up so we can franchise Bell next season.