It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is it just me...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 3260
Aside from the obvious reasons like more and more rules that are arbitrarily and not equally enforced, part of why the on field product is not as good as many of us remember (IMO) is lack of contrasting styles.

Back in the day offenses featured the run & shoot, west coast offense, ground & pound etc.

Defenses also had more variety.

Today it seems every team is just a slightly different and watered down version of some other current team. All copying each other in fear of being different & not succeeding.

The rules have played a big role in getting us here.

It was fun watching other games because a lot of teams just did things differently. Styles mattered.

Not so much today.

The game has been boiled down to who has the better QB & coaches. Styles matter not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it just me...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 3489
955876 wrote:
Aside from the obvious reasons like more and more rules that are arbitrarily and not equally enforced, part of why the on field product is not as good as many of us remember (IMO) is lack of contrasting styles.

Back in the day offenses featured the run & shoot, west coast offense, ground & pound etc.

Defenses also had more variety.

Today it seems every team is just a slightly different and watered down version of some other current team. All copying each other in fear of being different & not succeeding.

The rules have played a big role in getting us here.

It was fun watching other games because a lot of teams just did things differently. Styles mattered.

Not so much today.

The game has been boiled down to who has the better QB & coaches. Styles matter not.


I agree with this, 95. Good points.

_________________
"Antonio Brown doesn't need to respond to anything," Tomlin said. "He walks into stadiums and he's Antonio Brown and he made Antonio Brown plays."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it just me...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 2480
I would also add the CBA rules for limiting practice time for preseason camps and OTAs. Football teams are constantly losing and adding players. Limiting the amount of time the new players can practice with their teams hurts the overall product.

_________________
So here’s the thing about watching game tape: it’s only as useful as the asshole watching it. - Drew Magary


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it just me...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 4832
Pabst wrote:
It seems like the focus of these leagues is to extract money from people, rather than focusing on putting a quality product on the field.
Isn't that the focus pretty much everywhere there are commodities and services to consume?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it just me...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1124
COR-TEN wrote:
Pabst wrote:
It seems like the focus of these leagues is to extract money from people, rather than focusing on putting a quality product on the field.
Isn't that the focus pretty much everywhere there are commodities and services to consume?

It's always a balance. The producer is trying to charge as much as possible and the customer wants to pay as little as possible. They're forced to meet somewhere in the middle. Honestly, I don't care if a company is making alot of money on something, since I'm in no way forced to buy it.

My main point was that sports leagues just assume that people will fork over $100+ for a ticket, $8 for a beer, $30 for a tshirt, or sit through endless commercials at home. I think we're starting to see a tipping point where the costs are starting to outweigh the benefit (entertainment value) for the average fan. Also, i think the NFL is going so far to reach casual fans & new fans that they're starting to alienate their base (London game, moves to LA, pink in October, etc).

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it just me...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 4832
Pabst wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Pabst wrote:
It seems like the focus of these leagues is to extract money from people, rather than focusing on putting a quality product on the field.
Isn't that the focus pretty much everywhere there are commodities and services to consume?

It's always a balance. The producer is trying to charge as much as possible and the customer wants to pay as little as possible. They're forced to meet somewhere in the middle. Honestly, I don't care if a company is making alot of money on something, since I'm in no way forced to buy it.

My main point was that sports leagues just assume that people will fork over $100+ for a ticket, $8 for a beer, $30 for a tshirt, or sit through endless commercials at home. I think we're starting to see a tipping point where the costs are starting to outweigh the benefit (entertainment value) for the average fan. Also, i think the NFL is going so far to reach casual fans & new fans that they're starting to alienate their base (London game, moves to LA, pink in October, etc).
Corporate by laws insure CEO's make decisions that increase the bottom line, foregoing things like quality and responsibility. The balance doesn't find itself. It's usually regulated. Otherwise, free markets are an uncaged/ unleashed beast, and the shitty product the NFL is producing by watering it down with advertisements and pink october and "passing league" offenses/ constricting defenses reflects that. Every decision made that is spun into customer service is usually for the benefit of the producer, not the consumer. Football is no different. Further, you'd be surprised how that focus and approach affects your everyday life, not just entertainment.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it just me...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1124
COR-TEN wrote:
Corporate by laws insure CEO's make decisions that increase the bottom line, foregoing things like quality and responsibility.

And companies that do this typically go out of business. As an example: About 15 years ago, Circuit City decided to eliminate their commissioned pay structure and move to cheap, hourly labor. It saved them $130m in 2003....and it was considered a major factor in their bankruptcy 5 years later.

Honestly, I don't understand this mindset - If (for example) GM wants to start charging outrageous prices for shitty cars, what's to stop Ford, Toyota, Kia, or whomever from undercutting them?
It's entirely possibly to provide quality AND make money. Hell, we're probably 1000 miles apart and talking on computers on a website hosted on a server in God-knows-where. And someone is making money providing this service.


Quote:
The balance doesn't find itself. It's usually regulated.

Wal Mart and Amazon completely revolutionized supply chains and distribution networks.
Apple & Google changed how we use our phones and access information online.
Cisco created a LAN back in 1984 when most people had never even heard of the internet.

They made billions doing this, and there was no regulation involved.

I could go on for days here - There are thousands of examples of companies creating new things or providing better value for customers with no regulation at all. I'm not necessarily against basic government oversight; but do you honestly believe that (as an example) restaurants would start regularly serving spoiled food if there were no health inspectors? That planes would start crashing left and right with no FAA?

Honestly, Federal oversight tends to lag behind the market pretty badly - The Feds blocked a merger between Blockbuster and Hollywood video in the mid-2000s, saying it would create a monopoly in video rentals. Both companies were out of business within a decade because of the emergence of online streaming. Did regulation really help anyone there?

I'm not saying that shitty businesses don't exist, and I'm not saying that asshole corporate fat cats don't exist. What I'm saying is that no corporation can make money unless they provide a good/service that customers are willing to buy. In order for them to be greedy in the first place, they have to serve people. And nothing will kick these people in the ass more than if/when customers start walking away.



I know this is off topic, but I'm just stating my view.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it just me...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 4832
Pabst wrote:
I know this is off topic, but I'm just stating my view.
All good points. I want to respond but have no time right now. Give me a day or two to reply. 1000 miles away. . .

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it just me...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 20018
BethlehemSteel wrote:
It's entertainment product and it's scripted

Yes we all need to swallow that simple fact


So they're deliberately scripting a terrible product that is painful to watch?

That makes perfect sense!

_________________
Bill Walsh: “Your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is it just me...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 20018
COR-TEN wrote:
Corporate by laws insure CEO's make decisions that increase the bottom line, foregoing things like quality and responsibility. The balance doesn't find itself. It's usually regulated. Otherwise, free markets are an uncaged/ unleashed beast, and the shitty product the NFL is producing by watering it down with advertisements and pink october and "passing league" offenses/ constricting defenses reflects that. Every decision made that is spun into customer service is usually for the benefit of the producer, not the consumer. Football is no different. Further, you'd be surprised how that focus and approach affects your everyday life, not just entertainment.


Your example is flawed.

Maybe you might care to take a stab at why?

_________________
Bill Walsh: “Your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group