It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:57 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Interesting comment from a Dolphins beat writer:
... 2) You don’t guaranteed $11 million in a $12 million deal in the NFL – even to a player who looks rock-solid.

If it's a one year deal, doesn't it all become guaranteed Wk1, anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:44 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Pabst wrote:
Interesting comment from a Dolphins beat writer:
... 2) You don’t guaranteed $11 million in a $12 million deal in the NFL – even to a player who looks rock-solid.

If it's a one year deal, doesn't it all become guaranteed Wk1, anyway?

That was week 1 for MIA. They didn't play their first game as scheduled because of the hurricane.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:43 am 

That beat writer down in Miami is a clown.

Say what you want about Mike Wallace, but Joey Porter was a great signing by them, and Porter produced.

3 years in Miami, 32 sacks, 1 Pro Bowl year where he had a career best 17.5 sacks.

Timmons looked good/great in some of the preseason action that I saw. I remember him making a sweet interception. I think he had a strong chance of producing like Porter did, it is unfortunate that this incident, whatever it ends up being, soured Miami on him, or him on them. Wont know until we get more details.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:31 pm 

Someone mentioned finding cte in someone under 30 would be a huge deal. News just broke that Aaron Hernandez had a severe case. He was 27.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:34 pm 

And then there's this

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/s ... youth.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:35 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
Someone mentioned finding cte in someone under 30 would be a huge deal. News just broke that Aaron Hernandez had a severe case. He was 27.

Yeah, but in Hernandez case I think he was already a nut job long before coming to the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:

Yeah, but in Hernandez case I think he was already a nut job long before coming to the NFL.

I don’t think the argument is that it’s only th NFL that contributes to CTE.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:48 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
I don’t think the argument is that it’s only th NFL that contributes to CTE.

I would agree. But I never see mention, anywhere, of the possible contributory factors of heavy PED use....steroid abuse seems to cause a lot of the same symptoms, and may be having a similar impact.

Marijuana - which is obviously preferred by athletes over alcohol to avoid debilitating hangovers - is also not well understood. I'm not looking to start that debate, but suffice to say as a Class 1 drug it has really not been extensively studied to truly understand what, if any, long-term risk affects are. Heck, alcohol could be a contributing factor, as well - it's known to kill plenty of brain cells and, I'm guessing, probably inhibits the repair/recovery process.

I really believe steroids are the big double-whammy catalyst - bigger, stronger, faster players combined with already known potential mental issues stemming from long-term steroid abuse. Would also be interesting to know if athletes suffering from CTE were known to be heavy recreational drug/alcohol users.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:51 pm 

I’m very anxious for it to be possible to diagnose CTE in the living (I know the NFL fears that more than anything), because I want to see studies of pop warner and HS players. I have to imagine PED use is lower there so I’m curious to see CTE rates.

I think as soon as CTE becomes diagnosable in the living, the NFL is done for (probably from the ground up, as parents stop letting their kids play youth tackle football). I think it’s already starting to a lesser degree. I know I don’t think I could comfortably let my future kid play, even though some of my fondest memories as a kid are playing pop warner football.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:52 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
I’m very anxious for it to be possible to diagnose CTE in the living (I know the NFL fears that more than anything), because I want to see studies of pop warner and HS players. I have to imagine PED use is lower there so I’m curious to see CTE rates.

I think as soon as CTE becomes diagnosable in the living, the NFL is done for (probably from the ground up, as parents stop letting their kids play youth tackle football).

There are still boxers and race car drivers and daredevils and test pilots.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next