It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Penguins!!!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:16 am 

I don't think Guentzel is going to drop 90-100 points a season on the NHL. He isn't talented enough to dominate the way you have to to put up those kind of numbers.
I think his range is 60-70 points a year with 30 goals playing next to Crosby or even Malkin.

I get what you are saying because the talk about Sheary two years ago was that he was the 'next' one. Nice player but nowhere near a superstar. I think Guentzel will be better than Sheary though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:34 am 

Guentzel has puck luck and anticipation that NHL top players have. Like a star for one of the other NHL teams that you pay attention to every time he's on the ice and who causes a lot of trouble for your team.

Sheary was a guy who did some good stuff, showed some moxy, played well with talent on his line-- but he doesn't have the instincts Guentzel has shown from the beginning. It'll be interesting to see if this is an early career mirage or if Guenztel lives up to expectations his start has established.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:03 am 

My biggest concern with Jake from State Farm is that his shooting percentage in the playoffs was absurdly high. On the other hand, he must have hit 5 posts in the Ottawa series. So... maybe it evens out?

Regardless, he was very good in the AHL, very good in the RS in the NHL, and very good in the playoffs. Not sure he will be a superstar, but I do think he will make a few all-star teams. I also think him with Crosby is a case where the sum is greater than the parts... and the parts are pretty damn good. They mesh so well together. It is like having a talented Kunitz in that Crosby and Jake both think the game the same way, just as Kunitz did with Crosby. Difference is Jake has more skill and sees the ice so much better than Kuni.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:41 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
I don't think Guentzel is going to drop 90-100 points a season on the NHL. He isn't talented enough to dominate the way you have to to put up those kind of numbers.
I think his range is 60-70 points a year with 30 goals playing next to Crosby or even Malkin.

I get what you are saying because the talk about Sheary two years ago was that he was the 'next' one. Nice player but nowhere near a superstar. I think Guentzel will be better than Sheary though.

Don't think anyone thought Sheary was anywhere near the "next one"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 am 

I went to the game last night. I texted this to my buddy

Well seeing DP51 in person...wow he's just flat out bad. It's like he just forgot how to skate. I remember when he first came up he was leading the rush and was so dynamic, QBing the PP. Now he's bambi on skates with zero hockey sense. Tinordi played pretty well, but again the competition wasn't top notch. Ruh & Cole played like they should have - steady. Jarry is an NHL goalie already . I was more focused on the D, so I didn't watch Sprong much

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:43 am 

Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Don't think anyone thought Sheary was anywhere near the "next one"

Not the next Gretzky but rather the Pens next star player. And there were lots of people, both here and other boards that were talking about this the past year.
Donnie Brasco wrote:
I went to the game last night. I texted this to my buddy

Well seeing DP51 in person...wow he's just flat out bad. It's like he just forgot how to skate. I remember when he first came up he was leading the rush and was so dynamic, QBing the PP. Now he's bambi on skates with zero hockey sense. Tinordi played pretty well, but again the competition wasn't top notch. Ruh & Cole played like they should have - steady. Jarry is an NHL goalie already . I was more focused on the D, so I didn't watch Sprong much

I think it might be time to move DP-give him a fresh start. It amazes me how a player can come in early on and make a positive impression then just degrades over the next couple of years.
The final regular season last season I thought DP played really well against NJ. He was playing with guys from WBS so he had some familiarity with them.
What a shame considering a few players drafted right after him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:12 am 

fractalsteel wrote:

I think it might be time to move DP-give him a fresh start. It amazes me how a player can come in early on and make a positive impression then just degrades over the next couple of years.
The final regular season last season I thought DP played really well against NJ. He was playing with guys from WBS so he had some familiarity with them.
What a shame considering a few players drafted right after him.[/quote]

I think we're quickly approaching the points where "moving" DP no longer involves a trade, but a straight up cut. Maybe we're not there yet, but gotta be close. Guy was drafted 5 years ago and seems to have only regressed in that time.

Not sure it's possible to talk a team into giving up any kind of asset for him whatsoever based on some perception of upside anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:49 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

What a shame considering a few players drafted right after him.

I think we're quickly approaching the points where "moving" DP no longer involves a trade, but a straight up cut. Maybe we're not there yet, but gotta be close. Guy was drafted 5 years ago and seems to have only regressed in that time.

Not sure it's possible to talk a team into giving up any kind of asset for him whatsoever based on some perception of upside anymore.[/quote]

DP for Riley Sheahan has been reported for some time now, apparently it's only a matter of time. At this point any kind of asset is worth it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:48 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
DP for Riley Sheahan has been reported for some time now, apparently it's only a matter of time. At this point any kind of asset is worth it

Yup, a rumor that has legs still.

I see they sent Sprong back to WBS in the cut down. I knew he wasn't having a good camp but I figured he would be there at the end. I guess he still isn't ready.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:32 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Yup, a rumor that has legs still.

I see they sent Sprong back to WBS in the cut down. I knew he wasn't having a good camp but I figured he would be there at the end. I guess he still isn't ready.

That's not a bad thing for Sprong though. This is his real first taste of professional hockey. Jake had a similar path last year and things turned out great. My guess is he starts in the A then gets a couple games while the injury bug hits (like it always does). He'll get send back down and then eventually he'll get recalled for the stretch run

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next