It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Letter from Art Rooney, II to Steelers Nation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:29 am 

The NFL is now appropriating the shit out of this, which is expected. This isn’t about unity, not that unity is bad, but what the fuck has changed since last Friday that the overarching message is about locking arms and standing together?

There is a point to the protest and now the NFL is trying to bury it in some dumb fucking message. The Packers players want their fans to all lock arms in solidarity? Why? Because the NFL was exposed to the cruel fact that fans will turn against each other when issues of race, inequality and unfairness come up?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:40 am 

SteelPro wrote:
This whole thing is just absurd.

Yep.
We've taken a relatively small gesture by a small group of guys and have blown it up into a league/nation-wide us vs. them shit show.

Thanks, media. And thanks, Trump.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:51 am 

Once people are bored to death with the coverage of this situation it will all blow over. If there's anything I've learned, it's that for US Citizens a story like this will hold their conviction for a brief period of time until something new and shiny comes along to hold their attention. A vast majority of the Steelers fans who say they won't watch anymore will be back on Sundays (assuming the Steelers are still competitive) in a short while. I find most people lack any solid conviction.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:10 pm 

Obviously wrote:
The dumbasses are the socksucker players disrespecting the flag, anthem and country and the media types who are gobbling their junk.

Lol none of that is actually happening.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:56 pm 

Pabst wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Yep.
We've taken a relatively small gesture by a small group of guys and have blown it up into a league/nation-wide us vs. them shit show.

And that is the problem with most protests in this day and age. They start out as genuine. Then they get hijacked. As distasteful as I find kneeling during the anthem I do believe Kaepernick's feelings on racial and social injustices were real and his motive was genuine. But now this whole thing is just a vehicle that opposing sides are steering for their own agendas.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:05 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Pabst wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Yep.

And that is the problem with most protests in this day and age. They start out as genuine. Then they get hijacked. As distasteful as I find kneeling during the anthem I do believe Kaepernick's feelings on racial and social injustices were real and his motive was genuine. But now this whole thing is just a vehicle that opposing sides are steering for their own agendas.

Honestly, I think Kaep is a big part of the problem. Remember that he wore those "cops are pigs" socks and was singing Castro's praises in Miami. Doing crap like that just stirs the pot, and it completely changed the conversation from his original message.

I 100% agree with your last statement.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:31 pm 

Pabst wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Yep.

Bull Fucking Shit! :evil:
While I completely agree that he only exacerbates the situation, Trump didn't start this!

For all you blathering on about symbols, you meatheads fail to recognize that that's all Trump is - a symbol!

He absolutely could not elect himself! :roll:
Now, before you radical anarchists jerk you knees, I didn't vote for him, either...

...but just take a moment and ponder what all that means before launching into more meaningless, attention-whoring "look at me" demonstration that solves nothing...
Do these entitled, overprivileged brats seriously think we need to be made "aware" of what's going on by the likes of them?!

If I and my family live a sheltered life, it's by OUR choice, and I thank God that I still live where my freedom to make such a choice is not only intact, but more accessible to the greatest majority of the citizenry than anywhere else in the world.
Does that mean I need to be made "aware" by the likes of Colin Kapernik of injustices, perceived or otherwise?! :roll:
For me, If you really think I'm clueless and "unaware", or incapable of drawing my own conclusions from all that's constantly in my face, then with all due respect, Fuck You! :evil:

Sure, the choice to improve one's own situation might be more difficult for some to carry out than it is for others, but doing the difficult things is what makes a man a man, regardless of where he starts from or his ancestry!
Overcoming huge obstacles will certainly contribute to that man appreciating HIS success all the more, too, which is really what life is all about, right?

Also, there are more programs and aid intended to help those in such dire circumstances find their way out than ever in history, and yet some here attempt to link modern society to slavery?!
:roll:

People need to think a bit before making themselves look like bigger fools in a public place, and that goes for the Tomlin led Steelers, the POTUS, or anybody doing so in full public view.

Or not.
Whatevz.

Just don't be shocked when others in that forum become fed up to the point of protesting the protesters' attempts to overshadow what was supposed to be simple fucking entertainment..

As for Mikey T, my expectation of him as THE mature leader of these youngsters with enough sense to remain above all this nonsense evaporated almost a decade ago.

And, no, cowering in the tunnel is NOT how you remain "above all this nonsense"...
Hopefully, everybody in the Steelers organization has learned the hard lesson.
We shall see...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:58 pm 

Outstanding post Steeledge.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:45 pm 

The letter should have read:

To Steelers Nation:

I want to reach out to you, the members of Steelers Nation, because our team took a political stance and I'm scared to death that it will hit my pocketbook.

Our players come from many different backgrounds and never gave a shit about any of this until they thought they could score media points. They actually don't do much in their communities, but they are hoping stunts like this will help them get more credibility without having to do too much actual work. They appreciate the support they get from Steelers fans, but are still willing to take a stance on issues many of them can't even articulate.

I also know that our players have tremendous respect for the members of our military services, including their teammate Alejandro Villanueva, although they have a funny way of showing it. I can't say they have respect for our police forces because the leader of the kneeling movement mocks cops as pigs.

Yesterday, I received an email from a Steelers fan who said tell the players to just play football. That is exactly what they wanted to do, but you could see they had their heads up their asses against Chicago. They wanted their sole focus to be on playing the game, while also coming together as a unified team, but that failed miserably.

The main thing we can do is learn from this and strive to come together remaining unified as a football team. I believe we are capable of accomplishing this with the support of our fans and please keep spending your money on us.

Steelers Nation is made up of the best fans in the National Football League who spend a ton on our stuff. We appreciate your continued support of our players, coaches and staff even when they do stupid things and run empty sets from 3rd and goal at the one.

Sincerely,
Art Rooney
Art Rooney, II
Pittsburgh Steelers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 pm 

franco32 wrote:
The letter should have read:

To Steelers Nation:

I want to reach out to you, the members of Steelers Nation, because our team took a political stance and I'm scared to death that it will hit my pocketbook.

Our players come from many different backgrounds and never gave a shit about any of this until they thought they could score media points. They actually don't do much in their communities, but they are hoping stunts like this will help them get more credibility without having to do too much actual work. They appreciate the support they get from Steelers fans, but are still willing to take a stance on issues many of them can't even articulate.

I also know that our players have tremendous respect for the members of our military services, including their teammate Alejandro Villanueva, although they have a funny way of showing it. I can't say they have respect for our police forces because the leader of the kneeling movement mocks cops as pigs.

Yesterday, I received an email from a Steelers fan who said tell the players to just play football. That is exactly what they wanted to do, but you could see they had their heads up their asses against Chicago. They wanted their sole focus to be on playing the game, while also coming together as a unified team, but that failed miserably.

The main thing we can do is learn from this and strive to come together remaining unified as a football team. I believe we are capable of accomplishing this with the support of our fans and please keep spending your money on us.

Steelers Nation is made up of the best fans in the National Football League who spend a ton on our stuff. We appreciate your continued support of our players, coaches and staff even when they do stupid things and run empty sets from 3rd and goal at the one.

Sincerely,
Art Rooney
Art Rooney, II
Pittsburgh Steelers

Bravo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next