It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Letter from Art Rooney, II to Steelers Nation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:34 pm 

franco32 wrote:
The letter should have read:

To Steelers Nation:

I want to reach out to you, the members of Steelers Nation, because our team took a political stance and I'm scared to death that it will hit my pocketbook.

Our players come from many different backgrounds and never gave a shit about any of this until they thought they could score media points. They actually don't do much in their communities, but they are hoping stunts like this will help them get more credibility without having to do too much actual work. They appreciate the support they get from Steelers fans, but are still willing to take a stance on issues many of them can't even articulate.

I also know that our players have tremendous respect for the members of our military services, including their teammate Alejandro Villanueva, although they have a funny way of showing it. I can't say they have respect for our police forces because the leader of the kneeling movement mocks cops as pigs.

Yesterday, I received an email from a Steelers fan who said tell the players to just play football. That is exactly what they wanted to do, but you could see they had their heads up their asses against Chicago. They wanted their sole focus to be on playing the game, while also coming together as a unified team, but that failed miserably.

The main thing we can do is learn from this and strive to come together remaining unified as a football team. I believe we are capable of accomplishing this with the support of our fans and please keep spending your money on us.

Steelers Nation is made up of the best fans in the National Football League who spend a ton on our stuff. We appreciate your continued support of our players, coaches and staff even when they do stupid things and run empty sets from 3rd and goal at the one.

Sincerely,
Art Rooney
Art Rooney, II
Pittsburgh Steelers

:lol:

This is the funniest fucking thing I've ever read.

Edit: To clarify, I mean funny/bad. Not funny/good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:42 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Guys, the team met and said they would stay in the tunnel. Later, Al went to Team Leadership (like any good soldier would) and asked (because of his conflict on the issue - which he has more than earned) if he could stand at the front of the tunnel to see the flag. Ben et al, said sure and thought it was the right thing to do (as I'm sure not a single player would've disagreed with if asked). Al went out just far enough to see the flag and stopped as he said he would. Some other folks passing by got in the way while the anthem was starting so Ben and the rest of the guys up front decided to not move (up to Al) while the Anthem was playing (out of respect). The rest of the team would have followed them the extra 20 feet if Ben and the front line would've moved put they didn't get the chance. Ben even said in his presser he wished he would've just moved up to Al during the starting of the anthem, but he didn't. Al didn't even know they weren't standing directly behind them until after seeing the pics. Then the shit storm commenced. AL, being the consummate soldier, took one for the team, coaches and organization before even making any excuses what so ever. "It's all on me, no one else." He is deflecting all bullets...he's throwing himself on this grenade. How can people not see that.

Maybe it's me and my experiences. I have very good friends who have died, fought on the front lines, DEVGRU buddies, Top Gun & Blue Angle pilots, Admirals and much more. Truly not bragging, I just have a lot of experience with the code these type of men (and women) live by. Al is just that....a true elite soldier, doing what they do and living his life that way, even as a Steeler.

Hey Pal,
43 used to write for the Beaver County times and get Ron Cook coffee.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:01 pm 

fortythree wrote:
franco32 wrote:
The letter should have read:

To Steelers Nation:

I want to reach out to you, the members of Steelers Nation, because our team took a political stance and I'm scared to death that it will hit my pocketbook.

Our players come from many different backgrounds and never gave a shit about any of this until they thought they could score media points. They actually don't do much in their communities, but they are hoping stunts like this will help them get more credibility without having to do too much actual work. They appreciate the support they get from Steelers fans, but are still willing to take a stance on issues many of them can't even articulate.

I also know that our players have tremendous respect for the members of our military services, including their teammate Alejandro Villanueva, although they have a funny way of showing it. I can't say they have respect for our police forces because the leader of the kneeling movement mocks cops as pigs.

Yesterday, I received an email from a Steelers fan who said tell the players to just play football. That is exactly what they wanted to do, but you could see they had their heads up their asses against Chicago. They wanted their sole focus to be on playing the game, while also coming together as a unified team, but that failed miserably.

The main thing we can do is learn from this and strive to come together remaining unified as a football team. I believe we are capable of accomplishing this with the support of our fans and please keep spending your money on us.

Steelers Nation is made up of the best fans in the National Football League who spend a ton on our stuff. We appreciate your continued support of our players, coaches and staff even when they do stupid things and run empty sets from 3rd and goal at the one.

Sincerely,
Art Rooney
Art Rooney, II
Pittsburgh Steelers

This is the funniest fucking thing I've ever read.

Edit: To clarify, I mean funny/bad. Not funny/good.

I think it's pretty obvious the owners are nervous about their bottom line. I fully expect some kind of overly patriotic display by the team and Steelers at the next home game. Hell, they may drop Ben's fat ass out of a Blackhawk on a zip line.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:16 pm 

R S wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Guys, the team met and said they would stay in the tunnel. Later, Al went to Team Leadership (like any good soldier would) and asked (because of his conflict on the issue - which he has more than earned) if he could stand at the front of the tunnel to see the flag. Ben et al, said sure and thought it was the right thing to do (as I'm sure not a single player would've disagreed with if asked). Al went out just far enough to see the flag and stopped as he said he would. Some other folks passing by got in the way while the anthem was starting so Ben and the rest of the guys up front decided to not move (up to Al) while the Anthem was playing (out of respect). The rest of the team would have followed them the extra 20 feet if Ben and the front line would've moved put they didn't get the chance. Ben even said in his presser he wished he would've just moved up to Al during the starting of the anthem, but he didn't. Al didn't even know they weren't standing directly behind them until after seeing the pics. Then the shit storm commenced. AL, being the consummate soldier, took one for the team, coaches and organization before even making any excuses what so ever. "It's all on me, no one else." He is deflecting all bullets...he's throwing himself on this grenade. How can people not see that.

Maybe it's me and my experiences. I have very good friends who have died, fought on the front lines, DEVGRU buddies, Top Gun & Blue Angle pilots, Admirals and much more. Truly not bragging, I just have a lot of experience with the code these type of men (and women) live by. Al is just that....a true elite soldier, doing what they do and living his life that way, even as a Steeler.

Hey Pal,

:lol: how do these rumors get started?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:30 pm 

fortythree wrote:
R S wrote:
DP39 wrote:

Hey Pal,

:lol: how do these rumors get started?

Same way Kordell in Schenley Park i suppose.... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 pm 

The letter didn't say much, but I think AV went off-script and his teammates tried to sympathize with the dilemma he was placed in. Sadly,in this matter, a bunch of athletes who have acted peacefully and within the the law are being held to a higher standard that the leader of the free world. I know one thing, this team loves each other, and they love AV. Nothing that transpired last weekend will change that. True fans should stop tormenting them over their pregame decision and urge/cheer for them to play better football. Based on the fury the organization is dealing with, we should expect them to play in an non-cohesive, distracted manner again. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong about that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:30 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Thanks Art. Too little, too late. I'll be back posting and showing interest again after you fire Tomlin, get your shit together, and will have nothing to do with your entertainment product until then. See, in America, there are lots of alternative things to do. Even Penn State football has the moral highground right now and is more fund to watch. For those offended by the sig, don't worry, it's the last time you will see it.

I think you're overreacting, but have a nice life.

Why is he overreacting? He's right on the money if you ask me.

1) I think he's assuming that Tomlin somehow admonished Villy into the apology. Do we have any actual evidence that any such thing occurred?

2) By staying in the tunnel, the Steelers had no intention of protesting anything, no intention of insulting the country, the flag, the anthem, servicemen. I can agree the execution was botched, but I see no intention of any harm. So people are losing their minds over...what exactly?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:58 pm 

Holy crap has this thing gotten insanely pious and crazy
It's like a contest around the NFL and society to combine neutrality, piety and ambiguity in a paragraph - like bullshit PC haiku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:31 am 

44LetzRide wrote:
The letter didn't say much, but I think AV went off-script and his teammates tried to sympathize with the dilemma he was placed in. Sadly,in this matter, a bunch of athletes who have acted peacefully and within the the law are being held to a higher standard that the leader of the free world. I know one thing, this team loves each other, and they love AV. Nothing that transpired last weekend will change that. True fans should stop tormenting them over their pregame decision and urge/cheer for them to play better football. Based on the fury the organization is dealing with, we should expect them to play in an non-cohesive, distracted manner again. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong about that.

bingo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:32 am 

Gonzo wrote:
Holy crap has this thing gotten insanely pious and crazy
It's like a contest around the NFL and society to combine neutrality, piety and ambiguity in a paragraph - like bullshit PC haiku

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next