It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greatest Penguins head coach all time/opinions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:46 pm 

It is football season and I can't help but think about hockey.
I got to thinking about which Pens HC is greatest of all time.
Here is an all time list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... ad_coaches

I'll go with Bob Johnson because he took a very talented team, an underperforming team and made them champs. He was also the only coach that Lemieux would listen to.
If the Pens win a third in a row(distancing themselves further from the Flyers) then Sullivan gets me re-vote.

I will say the worst Pens HC all time(and there have been a lot of them) is Eddie Olczyk. But thanks to Eddie we were able to land Crosby and Malkin so his inability to be anything but lame helped the team big time down the road.

Post subject: Re: Greatest Penguins head coach all time/opinions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:05 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
It is football season and I can't help but think about hockey.
I got to thinking about which Pens HC is greatest of all time.
Here is an all time list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... ad_coaches

I'll go with Bob Johnson because he took a very talented team, an underperforming team and made them champs. He was also the only coach that Lemieux would listen to.
If the Pens win a third in a row(distancing themselves further from the Flyers) then Sullivan gets me re-vote.

I will say the worst Pens HC all time(and there have been a lot of them) is Eddie Olczyk. But thanks to Eddie we were able to land Crosby and Malkin so his inability to be anything but lame helped the team big time down the road.

Can't argue against Johnson, but man am I ever constantly impressed by Sully. The injuries he's been able to overcome these past two years is unreal. Key players keep going down, and he keeps those guys focused, no matter what. And just the drive of his teams is a joy to watch. Every time the media and fans have the Pens counted out, they find a way to overcome. I never stop being amazed by it. I have a cousin who keeps saying "No way they three-peat. It's impossible. Too much to ask". They're long shots to do it, sure. But hell if I'm going to say they can't. He's gotten into Belicheck territory where I just start assuming his team's are going to eventually figure out the other team's weakness. Might not be game 1 or 2, but they're going to do it. These past two years of being a Pens fan have been the most enjoyable time of my sports-watching career (note: I'm 35 years old and was just a little too young to fully appreciate the Mario/Jags cup days, and obviously way too young for the 70s Steelers).

On the other end, and at the risk of overemphasizing recent history a bit too much, god was Mike Johnston ever a horrible coach. I don't know enough about the pre-90's Pens teams to ever say he was the worst, but he was the most annoying to watch in my scope of watching hockey. Everything that impresses me about Sully, Johnston did the exact opposite. Refused to adjust his strategy, constantly put square pegs into round holes, and the players seemingly looked for reasons to quit on him. His record wasn't as bad as a lot of other coaches, but he had an insane amount of talent that he did absolutely nothing with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:59 pm 

Sully gets my vote...dude makes all the right moves.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:11 pm 

Is there a greater head coach in NHL history than Scotty Bowman?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:49 am 

SteelPro wrote:

Nope.

My vote as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:54 am 

SteelPro wrote:

He is/was the best of all time no doubts. Maybe Jack Adams could be put into the conversation as well.

Don't forget that Bowman was a figure head coach on that second cup winning team. He came in late but the team was really run/organized and led by Lemieux. Legend has it that Mario banished Bowman from the practice ice when the two were feuding which was often. Mario would skate around running drills with a smoke dangling from his mouth and Bowman would be hiding up in the second level of the Igloo trying to catch a peek.
I have no doubt that Johnson would have been the coach to lead the Pens to another cup like Sully did last year if he hadn't died suddenly. Probably would have gotten them over the hump and a third or fourth cup as well. He was that kind of coach that everyone could relate to and probably the only one that Mario really respected.

In the NHL it amazes me how star players can get coaches fired. Two years in and Jack Eichel got Bylsma canned. I have no doubts that Sid got Johnston fired and probably had a hand in Thierren and Bylsma as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:28 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

He is/was the best of all time no doubts. Maybe Jack Adams could be put into the conversation as well.

Don't forget that Bowman was a figure head coach on that second cup winning team. He came in late but the team was really run/organized and led by Lemieux. Legend has it that Mario banished Bowman from the practice ice when the two were feuding which was often. Mario would skate around running drills with a smoke dangling from his mouth and Bowman would be hiding up in the second level of the Igloo trying to catch a peek.
I have no doubt that Johnson would have been the coach to lead the Pens to another cup like Sully did last year if he hadn't died suddenly. Probably would have gotten them over the hump and a third or fourth cup as well. He was that kind of coach that everyone could relate to and probably the only one that Mario really respected.

In the NHL it amazes me how star players can get coaches fired. Two years in and Jack Eichel got Bylsma canned. I have no doubts that Sid got Johnston fired and probably had a hand in Thierren and Bylsma as well.

Well Bylsma has proven to be an idiot twice over. Johnston deserved his fate too

Agree about Badger Bob though- they likely win back to back with him or Bowman. Maybe they 3 peat instead of Bowman at the helm

As Tomlin would say, Sully's story is yet to be written but damn if I don't put him on the same level as Badger right now.

And as for Bowman yes he was probably one of the top coaches in history but not with his time with the Pens