It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:42 am 

Serious question, are the Steelers winning is spite of Big Ben. Look we all love Ben, myself included, but lets not kid ourselves, his play has been poor for most of this season and for a lot of last season, especially on the road. Just heard on NFL network that Ben has not had a single 300 yard passing game in his last 10 regular season starts, which seems astonishing considering shitty ass QB's routinely throw for over 300 yards. I did a little research, and the Steelers are 10-1 in their last 11 regular season games going back to last year, Ben started and played all of them except the season finale against the Browns last year and has zero 300 yard games and only 15 TD passes with 8 picks, thats some real pedestrian numbers, yet the PS are 9-1 in those games. I hear on this site all the time how we have the worst coaches ever, a shitty defense that's coming around, and if it weren't for Ben we would probably never win another game ever again, yet is Ben the reason we are 9-1 in our last 10 games? While I agree with most here that Haley is a complete moron as a play caller, I disagree that Haley is holding Ben back, Ben has had 2 of the best years of his career with Haley as the coordinator in 2014 and 2015, and we all thought Haley was shitty then as well. Ben's play has digressed since 2015 plain and simple, yet the PS continue to pile of wins. Bottom line, hopefully Ben's play gets better and the defense continues to improve, and our coaching improves and the PS find a way to get number 7 this year, but I think its time we invest a pretty high pick on a QB cause I think once a player mentions he is thinking about retiring he has pretty much already got one foot out the door.

Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:47 am 

Prior to Week One, Todd Haley had his media availability and when asked about what he's looking for from the offense this year his #1 response was something to the effect of "less interceptions. We fumbled so infrequently last year that the only way we turn the ball over is through interceptions. So if we can avoid them then we have a better chance of possessing the ball and winning."

Ben is playing like a quarterback who was given a directive that ball security matters more than making plays. Haley has turned Ben into a game manager.

So to answer your question, I think he is. But I don't think he'll be given the chance to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:51 am 

I don’t buy that 43, every team and every coach wants less interceptions, and Ben is throwing almost 1 a game in his last 10, although the one in todays game was complete BS. I would point out that out of those last 10 games 7 have been on the road, so maybe the PS need to try a little harder to get homefield this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:04 am 

StillerDownSouth wrote:
I don’t buy that 43, every team and every coach wants less interceptions, and Ben is throwing almost 1 a game in his last 10, although the one in todays game was complete BS. I would point out that out of those last 10 games 7 have been on the road, so maybe the PS need to try a little harder to get homefield this year.

You don't think essentially being directly called out by his OC has an effect on how Ben's been playing? You don't think there's a correlation between that and Ben's reliance on AB or his insistence on taking safe shots downfield at inopportune times because he knows they're low-risk (i.e. less likely to be picked or if they are, more like a punt than a true INT)?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:06 am 

No, I think you are taking some coach speak and making more out of it than it is, just a canned answer to a question being asked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:08 am 

Do you not think Ben’s numbers a pretty Brian Hoyer’ish lateley? Does that not concern you just a little?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:12 am 

StillerDownSouth wrote:
No, I think you are taking some coach speak and making more out of it than it is, just a canned answer to a question being asked.

Did you hear the response? It wasn't a canned answer. Haley started to answer, stopped, thought about it, then continued and deliberately chose his words. He also could have decided to say anything else there.

"What is the most important factor for your offense's success in 2017?"

He could have said...

- Being more successful in the red zone.
- Continuing to run the ball successfully.
- Winning on first down.
- Scoring points no matter how we do it.
- Being capable of beating teams in multiple ways.
- Cutting down on all turnovers.
- Converting third downs into first downs.

Seven quick responses off the top of my head for the question and he chose to intentionally single out his QB for throwing interceptions.

Couple that with the fact that there may be no HC/OC duo in the NFL that is more risk averse than Tomlin/Haley and it sure seemed like he was saying publicly that Ben needs to be extra careful protecting the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:15 am 

StillerDownSouth wrote:
Do you not think Ben’s numbers a pretty Brian Hoyer’ish lateley? Does that not concern you just a little?

What concerns me is what he's asked to do.

B2B brought something to my attention on Twitter and that is coming into this week Ben is 5th from the bottom in the NFL in how far his 3rd down passes travel in comparison to the yardage needed to pick up a first down.

He was throwing the ball something like 3.5 yards short of the sticks on average on third down, and that's including the deep throws on 3rd and short that everyone hates.

That's not all Ben. It seems that Haley is using Ben more as a game manager this season.

If so, why? Are they preparing their offense for the post-Ben years? Is Haley just a moron? Does he think Ben doesn't have it anymore?

Last edited by fortythree on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:17 am 

My take is Ben is still elite. Ben has always been somewhat up and down. Ben's best football this season is ahead of him. That's what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:17 am 

Every coach preaches taking care of the ball, and Ben only had 13 picks last year in 14 games. I just don’t buy the idea that Ben is hamstrung by Haley, all Haley does is call the play, which Ben can change at anytime at the line, Ben goes through his progression and decides where the ball goes. IMO his accuarcy has been a little off this year, hope it improves, but I don’t think he has been gunshy throwing into coverage, he has had several balls this year thrown into double coverage that could have been picked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next