It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:59 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 3355
Still Lit wrote:
I want Haley run out of town IMMEDIATELY.

With the right OC and a line that is kicking ass and taking names I think Ben can still be deadly.


Agreed and agreed.

This offense has been dismal to watch including yesterday even though the end result was decent (yesterday).

It is NOT fun to watch a big armed grown man throw so many horizontal + 3rd down designed throws short of the sticks + seemingly daring but in reality low risk low percentage deep throws down the sidelines... with a limited number of throws to work with. Run run pass. Run run pass. Run run pass.

At some point, Haley is going to open up the offense this season and it will probably come alive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 1632
I think the annoying thing is that this team should be able to play offense in many ways; it should be able to do quick-strike offenses with Bryant and Brown, it should be able to do WCO with Brown, JuJu, and Bell; it should be able to play ball control pound the rock; it should be able to use a mixture of running with attacking the middle of the field with Bryant, Brown. But...we don't work on doing all of this. We have the talent to ensure there is not a single defense that can stop us. We evidently don't want to play that way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 8349
Havoc wrote:
At some point, Haley is going to open up the offense this season and it will probably come alive.


You know what the most maddening thing about this offense is? And it's been this way the whole time under Tomlin, and for that matter back to Cowher with Plax...

It's that they insist on an "X" guy who runs primarily 3-4 routes. From Plax, to Nate Washington(!) to Wallace to Coates to Bryant...they just don't seem willing or interested to demand those guys work on their craft to become complete receivers. Check off stretching the field and then go to work trying to play 9 on 10.

Hell, they fucking did that with Sanders! Despite the fact the guy had some decent route running ability, they insisted on using him in their traditional "X" role because they had AB and no one else for their proverbial square-peg-round-hole. It's simply the laziest, most unimaginative way to run your offense.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 13644
Kodiak wrote:
Havoc wrote:
At some point, Haley is going to open up the offense this season and it will probably come alive.


You know what the most maddening thing about this offense is? And it's been this way the whole time under Tomlin, and for that matter back to Cowher with Plax...

It's that they insist on an "X" guy who runs primarily 3-4 routes. From Plax, to Nate Washington(!) to Wallace to Coates to Bryant...they just don't seem willing or interested to demand those guys work on their craft to become complete receivers. Check off stretching the field and then go to work trying to play 9 on 10.

Hell, they fucking did that with Sanders! Despite the fact the guy had some decent route running ability, they insisted on using him in their traditional "X" role because they had AB and no one else for their proverbial square-peg-round-hole. It's simply the laziest, most unimaginative way to run your offense.

It's a lot of work and imagination to diversify and sophisticate your offense. I think Tomlin is a better coach than Haley, but the thing they have in common is a belief that execution is more likely to triumph over design.

_________________
Whatever it takes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:17 pm
Posts: 855
The solution is simple. Right now even with the Bears loss, this defense is 2nd in yardage and 2nd in scoring (before tonight). There is no need for offensive fireworks- yet.
If you will indulge an allegory

You just met a pretty girl and she agrees to go have dinner with you. You don't show up butt naked just to show her "what she can expect later".

You have to set it up right, passing all her tests she throws at you and skillfully position her at your place as if it's her idea. Finally, after you've checked down all the boxes on your Teddy Pendergrass "Turn Off the Lights" rookie QB wristband- she gets proper f***ed. Pull that shit at the restaurant and she can "scheme" herself out or express to you that she doesn't like "canned coned sausages".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:03 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Born and raised "Yinzer" living in OKC!
Let me know if I got this right. I've read just about every thread on this board this year. To included the game threads after the games long over. I also read other sites usually at work and throughout the day and once in awhile, other forums.

The following has been pretty much agreed upon and written many times over on just about everything I've read each game. Basically the following comments have been a consensus:

Game #1 - WTF! Whats with all the screens? Why are all the passes within 5 yards? Why are we not going deep? WTF! What the hell kind of game plan is this, mix it up, find a rhythm. We have the best receiver corp known to man why are they not throwing darts all over downfield? (Small-ball)
- Now don't quote me on this, but to get my point across; didn't Ben have like one pass for more than 10 yards that game or some shit?

Game #2 - WTF! Whats with all the deep passes? Why are we throwing long when we need three yards? What the hell kind of game plan is this, mix it up, find a rhythm. WTF! (Deep-Ball)
- Lotsa throws downfield compared to first game and all comments were; we need to get AB more involved. Best WR in the NFL, Ben has to get the ball to him.

Game #3 - WTF! Is Brown the only receiver on the team. What the hell kind of gameplan is this, mix it up, find a rhythm. WTF we need to spread the ball around more. (AB mostly)
- AB had his most touches in a loss. Everyone saying we need to spread it around more. Ben himself states, I have to quit looking at & depending on AB so much.

Game #4 - WTF! Why does Ben suck? Whats wrong with Ben? Ben has hit the drop-off, hes in decline. Ben lost his accuracy. WTF!!! (Spread the ball around)
- Now Ben looks away from AB once and misses him open. Ben sucks! Ben not good enough to go thru his progressions anymore, he doesn't scan and misses his 15th read Finney, Ben sucks!
- But from the game I seen, he threw passes to McDonald, James, JuJu, MB, AB, Hunter, Bell. Basically, he didn't key on Brown and spread the ball around.

What I am trying to say, EVERY game has looked a bit different. Game plan?, Play-calling? Something to the extended pre-season theory?
Ben hasn't had the chance to get comfortable yet in my opinion. Every game has been a different passing game, by design or not. There has been ZERO rhythm, by design or not? But impossible to have occurred with offensive passing game plans/play calls so far.

That being said, let me ask my question; Does the passing game (Ben) seem to have improved in your opinion (no matter how much or how little) each game so far??? Or do you feel we've digressed or leveled out???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 8349
Steelersfan wrote:
That being said, let me ask my question; Does the passing game (Ben) seem to have improved in your opinion (no matter how much or how little) each game so far??? Or do you feel we've digressed or leveled out???


A-fucking-plus post. I agree 100% with everything.

To the above....I just don't know. The playcalling has been very grab bag. When Ben throws dimes and guys hang on to the ball, the offense looks pretty good. When your offense requires your QB and receivers to basically be perfect every play....well, then, your offense kind of sucks.

It's worth remembering that, early in the year, defenses seem to be ahead of offenses. Intuitively you'd think that would be reversed, but really only with regard to tackling. Also maybe a dose of reality for how the defense has performed so far, even ignoring who they've played.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:02 am 
Online

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:11 pm
Posts: 1555
VeritasSteel wrote:
The solution is simple. Right now even with the Bears loss, this defense is 2nd in yardage and 2nd in scoring (before tonight). There is no need for offensive fireworks- yet.
If you will indulge an allegory

You just met a pretty girl and she agrees to go have dinner with you. You don't show up butt naked just to show her "what she can expect later".

You have to set it up right, passing all her tests she throws at you and skillfully position her at your place as if it's her idea. Finally, after you've checked down all the boxes on your Teddy Pendergrass "Turn Off the Lights" rookie QB wristband- she gets proper f***ed. Pull that shit at the restaurant and she can "scheme" herself out or express to you that she doesn't like "canned coned sausages".


:lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:11 am 
Online

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 3355
VeritasSteel wrote:
The solution is simple. Right now even with the Bears loss, this defense is 2nd in yardage and 2nd in scoring (before tonight). There is no need for offensive fireworks- yet.


We lost to the chicago bears

Browns offense 18
Steelers offense 14

We have done the usual dilly fucking around under the Tomlin/Haley conservative umbrella vs shitty teams. That is a recipe for getting beat by inferior opponents.

It's disgusting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Ben capable of carrying the PS anymore?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 20024
Steelersfan wrote:
Let me know if I got this right. I've read just about every thread on this board this year. To included the game threads after the games long over. I also read other sites usually at work and throughout the day and once in awhile, other forums.

The following has been pretty much agreed upon and written many times over on just about everything I've read each game. Basically the following comments have been a consensus:

Game #1 - WTF! Whats with all the screens? Why are all the passes within 5 yards? Why are we not going deep? WTF! What the hell kind of game plan is this, mix it up, find a rhythm. We have the best receiver corp known to man why are they not throwing darts all over downfield? (Small-ball)
- Now don't quote me on this, but to get my point across; didn't Ben have like one pass for more than 10 yards that game or some shit?

Game #2 - WTF! Whats with all the deep passes? Why are we throwing long when we need three yards? What the hell kind of game plan is this, mix it up, find a rhythm. WTF! (Deep-Ball)
- Lotsa throws downfield compared to first game and all comments were; we need to get AB more involved. Best WR in the NFL, Ben has to get the ball to him.

Game #3 - WTF! Is Brown the only receiver on the team. What the hell kind of gameplan is this, mix it up, find a rhythm. WTF we need to spread the ball around more. (AB mostly)
- AB had his most touches in a loss. Everyone saying we need to spread it around more. Ben himself states, I have to quit looking at & depending on AB so much.

Game #4 - WTF! Why does Ben suck? Whats wrong with Ben? Ben has hit the drop-off, hes in decline. Ben lost his accuracy. WTF!!! (Spread the ball around)
- Now Ben looks away from AB once and misses him open. Ben sucks! Ben not good enough to go thru his progressions anymore, he doesn't scan and misses his 15th read Finney, Ben sucks!
- But from the game I seen, he threw passes to McDonald, James, JuJu, MB, AB, Hunter, Bell. Basically, he didn't key on Brown and spread the ball around.

What I am trying to say, EVERY game has looked a bit different. Game plan?, Play-calling? Something to the extended pre-season theory?
Ben hasn't had the chance to get comfortable yet in my opinion. Every game has been a different passing game, by design or not. There has been ZERO rhythm, by design or not? But impossible to have occurred with offensive passing game plans/play calls so far.

That being said, let me ask my question; Does the passing game (Ben) seem to have improved in your opinion (no matter how much or how little) each game so far??? Or do you feel we've digressed or leveled out???


This is the very description of a "grab bag" approach to offense.

_________________
Bill Walsh: “Your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baltostiller, Bing [Bot], Havoc, JackSplat58, Laying the Wood, PittWest, Seven7, Steel Drummer, StillerInCT and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group