It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Artie Burns
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:40 pm 

Love or hate PFF, decent to see him getting some recognition:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... mpaign=nfl

PFF Grade: 82.6

PFF Elite yards per cover snap: 0.39

Artie Burns has began the 2017 season well, and despite being relatively heavily targeted (21 through four games), he has allowed only 11 receptions for 61 yards. Though one of those catches went for a touchdown, he has broken up two of the incompletions, and those 11 receptions have averaged 5.5 yards per catch.

Quote:
YPCS measures the yardage conceded when a player is in primary coverage, on a per snap basis. It lets us move a little closer to measuring just how shutdown a corner is.

Post subject: Re: Artie Burns
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:49 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
Love or hate PFF, decent to see him getting some recognition:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... mpaign=nfl

PFF Grade: 82.6

PFF Elite yards per cover snap: 0.39

Artie Burns has began the 2017 season well, and despite being relatively heavily targeted (21 through four games), he has allowed only 11 receptions for 61 yards. Though one of those catches went for a touchdown, he has broken up two of the incompletions, and those 11 receptions have averaged 5.5 yards per catch.

Quote:
YPCS measures the yardage conceded when a player is in primary coverage, on a per snap basis. It lets us move a little closer to measuring just how shutdown a corner is.

We're getting our money's worth.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:27 am 

I have no complaints about Artie. I really don't recall the Ravens throwing much at him either.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:02 am 

StillerInCT wrote:
I have no complaints about Artie. I really don't recall the Ravens throwing much at him either.

He got burned badly by Wallace because he was trying to jump what he thought was a short route. For some reason Wallace gives him issues.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:07 am 

steelclan wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:

He got burned badly by Wallace because he was trying to jump what he thought was a short route. For some reason Wallace gives him issues.

Clan,
did you re-watch that play?
Just wondering did Burns lose him or did he pass him off o the safety?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:08 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:
steelclan wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:

Clan,
did you re-watch that play?
Just wondering did Burns lose him or did he pass him off o the safety?

Yep looked like Burns read and tried to jump a short route got badly turned around by Wallace.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:23 pm 

He's played well and only getting better. This D is gonna round into shape real nice like so long as tuitt/heyward/watt/shaz stay healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:53 am 

Sutton was just as good as Burns in college maybe better. His ability to shut down a receiver is not the issue Sutton's health is the issue. An Ankle plagued him in college and now he's got a hamstring. I think we've learned our lesson with Golson and we won't hang on to this kid if he can't physically get onto the field. But if he can get onto the field he's going to be an immense help

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:48 pm 

I think Sutton could be the punt returner to replace Brown, just never thought Rogers was going to be able to do the job. If you look at some of his college highlights as a punt returner, Sutton was very good, very deceptive with his moves and speed and a great pair of hands to make the catch. Rogers just looks unnatural as a punt returner, it is laborious with him.

I will say this I am impressed with everybody in the secondary making more plays on the ball. I can't remember a 4 game stretch where I have seen so many instances of our guys playing the catch point of the WR/TE/RB, usually they are 3-5 yards off their man. Just in this past game, I saw examples of Burns, Hilton, Davis all making plays where they were able to stick their hand in and break up the pass and not draw a flag by hooking or turning the offensive player with their other hand.

It kind of makes you wonder where this came from all of a sudden. Did Carnell Lake just figure out how to coach? Did Joe Haden give tips and pointers to his new teammates? Or is it because you need to have talented players to begin with? And then the courage to implement more tight coverage and allow them to make plays?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:04 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I think Sutton could be the punt returner to replace Brown, just never thought Rogers was going to be able to do the job. If you look at some of his college highlights as a punt returner, Sutton was very good, very deceptive with his moves and speed and a great pair of hands to make the catch. Rogers just looks unnatural as a punt returner, it is laborious with him.

I will say this I am impressed with everybody in the secondary making more plays on the ball. I can't remember a 4 game stretch where I have seen so many instances of our guys playing the catch point of the WR/TE/RB, usually they are 3-5 yards off their man. Just in this past game, I saw examples of Burns, Hilton, Davis all making plays where they were able to stick their hand in and break up the pass and not draw a flag by hooking or turning the offensive player with their other hand.

It kind of makes you wonder where this came from all of a sudden. Did Carnell Lake just figure out how to coach? Did Joe Haden give tips and pointers to his new teammates? Or is it because you need to have talented players to begin with? And then the courage to implement more tight coverage and allow them to make plays?

Being able to generate the occasional pass rush where a blitz isn't necessary also makes it easier to allow tighter coverage in the secondary. The ability to get pressure more consistently without committing blitzers has a ripple effect.