It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who is the fattest here ?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:13 am 

R S wrote:
VeritasSteel wrote:
R S wrote:
is this tongue in cheek? Now I'm assuming you are American, and I'm assuming you didn't grow up during the depression (the avatar is a good hint). This country is fat because of soda and processed foods in abundance. Not because we went through some extreme hardship anytime recently. Probably not enough hardship, that's what creates fat, soft, turds.[/img]

Bro I was born in Pittsburgh but I have lived in the south after my parent's divorce. I think the depression has made the average American want to make sure they had enough to eat no matter what and that his filtered down to our modern times. Every mother in here made sure you cleaned your plate and if you grew up with Italian or German or Polish portions it just became the norm.

I would agree about the sodas and foods. But soda has been around for nearly a century and processed foods since after WW2 but the obesity thing has only started to kick in since the late 80s. I think that leads to your point about hardship- kids dont get any these days. We want to shelter them and protect them but not challenge them. Most kids these days would rather give up when they face hardship than to press on- and that makes for fat, soft, turd people who want others to make their decision for them and are comfortable in jail cell-like living conditions.

The reference was an accidental one to Steelers fans- I was thinking more the hardships of winter and the mindset you have to have to go through it. Especially in cold wintery central Florida- lol.

I get what you're saying. But I'd wager to say Europeans as a whole had MANY more hardships than Americans during the 30s and 40s. There aren't herds of 300lbers running around all over he place in European countries. And as a whole, Gyms are much more of a thing in the USA than Europe. It all comes back to processed food. Which was made MUCH more abundant when the FDA (with the backing of sugar companies) started a massive campaign that fats were unhealthy and killing us. They started making everything FAT Free with a ton of sugar. That change by the FDA started a crazy upward trend of obesity and heart disease. It's the sugar. It really is.

Spend a week in Germany or Italy, hell, even Poland.(Using your examples) The amount of morbidly obese people you see is astonishingly low. When you see a fat slug waddling around, it's usually an American tourist. Yes, they bike and walk more in Europe, but it's the lack of processed sugary foods they eat over there. Book it.

Again, RS is spot on. Simple thing to do is eliminate ALL (I mean ALL) Sugar, Oil and Salt from your diet and you'll be amazed. Hell, try shopping in the store and buying stuff that doesn't have one of those ingredients and your cart will consist of mostly items found on the outer ring of the store. Reducing/eliminating meat and dairy is also smart, but not all can do it. It's not easy at first, but then your taste buds revert back to their natural state in about three months and you really don't miss/crave that stuff at all.

FYI, the only taste we are born with is mothers milk, every other taste we have is learned, not inherent. The motto that we need milk to form strong bones is a slogan developed by the dairy industry and monies paid to our government to promote it. It's crap. Many studies have proven the countries that consume the most dairy have the highest rates of osteoporosis. Also, mothers milk have one of the lowest amounts of protein than most species on the planet, just more proof we don't need near as much protein as we are told we do. One last question to ask yourself....why is it that sugar is the only labeled ingredient that doesn't have an RDA % listed? As with just about every modern day question, if you want the true answer....just ask yourself to follow the money....you'll eventually get the truth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 am 

When you say remove oil, do you mean all oil. Even olive, coconut, etc....?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 am 

R S wrote:
When you say remove oil, do you mean all oil. Even olive, coconut, etc....?

Yep, the amounts of oil your body needs to function properly can be consumed in a hand full of healthy nuts/seeds (walnuts, almonds...etc..) a day. The fish oils craze and all that other crap is again....follow the money....

Olive oil is one of the biggest reasons why 'fat' vegans exist.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:40 am 

VanWilder wrote:
Anyway, sorry to get off topic...my point was that lifestyle takes care of weight depending on hobbies.
As long as your lifestyle can be supported financially. Otherwise, your choices are limited. The F&B industry along with BigAgra knows this all too well, and it's packaged and sold as though its the best thing in a modern, innovative, society. Our 'economy' can give you what you need, what you want, when you need it, and it will be good for you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:41 am 

I just need to :roll: :roll: at some of this advice...

Yes.. Too much refined sugars in ones diet is bad
Yes... Too much processed food of all types in the diet are bad

That can be said about anything in excess in the diet. But cutting oil and sugar entirely is nonsense. Especially quality non-GMO oils with good Omega 3 ratios.

I agree that calorie restrictions are needed for obese people to cut weight to healthy levels. And there are many types of diets/tips/tricks to achieve calorie restrictions. We all are unique individuals and what works for one does not necessarily work for all. Some people can cut breakfast and that works great for them. Some people can stop eating at 6 pm every night and that works. Some people can eat 6 small meals a day. For some two large meals works better. Again, many diff ways to restrict calories if that is what one needs to get weight under control. But ultimately it is activity that is key to weight maintenance and keeps fit people from not getting fat in the first place. Most people would go crazy trying to eat at maintenance levels for long periods while being being sedentary. It just isn't much food. Not to mention food is an important part of our lives beyond just sustenance. I don't see society ever shifting from Birthday Cake to Birthday Kale. I'm a big believer in flexibility in diets. IIFYM is a much better approach long term than trying to abstain from sugar and oil. Eat a balanced diet and be active and you won't become a fat ass. It is that simple.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:50 am 

SteelPro wrote:

That can be said about anything in excess in the diet. But cutting oil and sugar entirely is nonsense. Especially quality non-GMO oils with good Omega 3 ratios.

I agree that calorie restrictions are needed for obese people to cut weight to healthy levels. And there are many types of diets/tips/tricks to achieve calorie restrictions. We all are unique individuals and what works for one does not necessarily work for all. Some people can cut breakfast and that works great for them. Some people can stop eating at 6 pm every night and that works. Some people can eat 6 small meals a day. For some two large meals works better. Again, many diff ways to restrict calories if that is what one needs to get weight under control. But ultimately is is activity that is key to weight maintenance and keeps fit people from not getting fat in the first place. Most people would go crazy trying to eat at maintenance levels for long periods while being being sedentary. It just isn't much food. Not to mention food is an important part of our lives beyond just sustenance. I don't see society ever shifting from Birthday Cake to Birthday Kale. I'm a big believer in flexibility in diets. IIFYM is is much better approach long term than trying to abstain from sugar and oil.
I agree. Modern society is relatively new in the greater scheme of things. Humans haven't evolved enough to support modernity without adverse effects. Diets, exercise, and medical innovations are meant to mitigate those effects. Just like the effects of non gravity environments like space have on the human body. However, our economic engine requires humans to make bad decisions. It actually encourages it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:54 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:16 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

I agree that calorie restrictions are needed for obese people to cut weight to healthy levels. And there are many types of diets/tips/tricks to achieve calorie restrictions. We all are unique individuals and what works for one does not necessarily work for all. Some people can cut breakfast and that works great for them. Some people can stop eating at 6 pm every night and that works. Some people can eat 6 small meals a day. For some two large meals works better. Again, many diff ways to restrict calories if that is what one needs to get weight under control. But ultimately is is activity that is key to weight maintenance and keeps fit people from not getting fat in the first place. Most people would go crazy trying to eat at maintenance levels for long periods while being being sedentary. It just isn't much food. Not to mention food is an important part of our lives beyond just sustenance. I don't see society ever shifting from Birthday Cake to Birthday Kale. I'm a big believer in flexibility in diets. IIFYM is is much better approach long term than trying to abstain from sugar and oil.
I agree. Modern society is relatively new in the greater scheme of things. Humans haven't evolved enough to support modernity without adverse effects. Diets, exercise, and medical innovations are meant to mitigate those effects. Just like the effects of non gravity environments like space have on the human body. However, our economic engine requires humans to make bad decisions. It actually encourages it.

I don't disagree with you either. A lot of the problem is advancement in technology. A lot of the required human activity has been engineered out of our lives. And it takes some health IQ to recognize that, and as you say mitigate those effects. And yes, economics are a factor in acquiring all sorts of knowledge (and putting it to use) including how to take care of the human body properly in the 21st century. It is no coincidence that more affluent areas of the country rate higher in terms of general public health fitness.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 am 

SteelPro wrote:

I agree that calorie restrictions are needed for obese people to cut weight to healthy levels. And there are many types of diets/tips/tricks to achieve calorie restrictions. We all are unique individuals and what works for one does not necessarily work for all. Some people can cut breakfast and that works great for them. Some people can stop eating at 6 pm every night and that works. Some people can eat 6 small meals a day. For some two large meals works better. Again, many diff ways to restrict calories if that is what one needs to get weight under control. But ultimately it is activity that is key to weight maintenance and keeps fit people from not getting fat in the first place. Most people would go crazy trying to eat at maintenance levels for long periods while being being sedentary. It just isn't much food. Not to mention food is an important part of our lives beyond just sustenance. I don't see society ever shifting from Birthday Cake to Birthday Kale. I'm a big believer in flexibility in diets. IIFYM is is much better approach long term than trying to abstain from sugar and oil. Eat a balanced diet and be active and you won't become a fat ass. It is that simple.

Pro, while some of your observations are true, some are not. I'm referring to not just losing weight, but being as healthy as you can be, feeding your body/engine what it was actually design to consume to function at optimum and live as long and as lively as you can (actually we are not so different when it comes to the real details of how our bodies function). There are plenty of healthy "looking", very active, 'fit' folks that die of heart disease in their 60s and 70's. That hereditary argument is just not true for the most part, it's mainly because of the diet and what it's done to their arteries. What I have advised is based on live data/statistics.. Did you know the top six centurion groups throughout the world mostly consume the diet I'm referring to. One of the them is in the US actually. California to be exact. They consume the diet I refer to (based on religious beliefs) and live well over 100 and have virtually none of the 'diseases' that those on the western diet have. They simply die of old age and are extremely healthy, happy and productive well into the 90's and 100's. There are extreme examples of a few healthy groups that vary somewhat from this diet, but they (their people) have lived in very extreme environments/climates over thousands of years and their bodies have adapted to that environment. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 am 

Since it was brought up....

There is literally no evidence - 0. None. Nada - LITERALLY NO EVIDENCE that non-GMO food products are any safer or healthier than GMO.

Here's a nice write up from Cornell's Alliance for Science: http://allianceforscience.cornell.edu/blog/mark-lynas/gmo-safety-debate-over

The full study cited in that article is here: http://nas-sites.org/ge-crops/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next