It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finny #4 TE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
DP39 wrote:
I agree it should be used and is one of a QB's best friends, if used properly. I'm just telling you what I see.

I get what you're saying, but his first 4-5 years in the league he was historically great on PA.....I mean, off the charts. And they ran it, A LOT, more than Peyton some years.

And if this is true and the reason they don't run more PA, what does that say about Tomlin/Haley? I think it would say they're stupid...or pussies...and probably both.

Stockholm syndrome.....Ben's come up with a way to rationalize for himself Haley not running PA :lol: :lol:

But, seriously, there are many criticisms I've seen of Ben over the years that never made much sense. One was the inability to throw the screen. Then Haley came, it became more of a focus, and Ben got a lot better at it (and maybe a back or two with some actual receiving ability). Ben is a HOFer - what you see on Sunday reflects what they practice and prioritize.

With regards to Ben not wanting/liking to do it, I guess there could many reasons. His body being older/beat up and not liking to got through that motion and not being able to see a hit coming while turned to name one. Whatever happens with what Ben does when running this offense, I feel fairly confident he has a very large say in it. And, personally, to be the best leader he can, I think he should be practicing on Wednesdays. My guess is that most of his peers do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:46 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Whatever happens with what Ben does when running this offense, I feel fairly confident he has a very large say in it. And, personally, to be the best leader he can, I think he should be practicing on Wednesdays. My guess is that most of his peers do.

Here's the point I'm trying to make. He is an uber-competitor. Personally, I think the comments on the footwork and play fakes of a 14-yr vet heading to the HOF are an effort to be way too cute. But even if true Ben is not the type of guy to tell Haley/Tomlin to fuck off if they were to point out he needs to work on those things.

And, I mean, who is giving Ben all these days off? I don't think our franchise QB is a delicate flower that needs to be catered to and pandered to by the coaches.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:50 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Whatever happens with what Ben does when running this offense, I feel fairly confident he has a very large say in it. And, personally, to be the best leader he can, I think he should be practicing on Wednesdays. My guess is that most of his peers do.

Here's the point I'm trying to make. He is an uber-competitor. Personally, I think the comments on the footwork and play fakes of a 14-yr vet heading to the HOF are an effort to be way too cute. But even if true Ben is not the type of guy to tell Haley/Tomlin to fuck off if they were to point out he needs to work on those things.

And, I mean, who is giving Ben all these days off? I don't think our franchise QB is a delicate flower that needs to be catered to and pandered to by the coaches.
It's like anything else. You produce, have a good work ethic, the right attitude, are well liked, follow direction, and you get rewarded with some degree of influence. People who fulfill their obligations to a high degree have control over their schedule. I think he requests days off, and the steelers organization give him the leeway to decide when he needs practice and when he doesn't. For good or bad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:58 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I think he requests days off, and the steelers organization give him the leeway to decide when he needs practice and when he doesn't. For good or bad.

Surely he could practice if he wanted. But it IS a vet's day off. I think as long as Ben and Tomlin feel the extra reps aren't the issue (and I'm not saying they are) he'll get the day off. Ben practicing on Wednesdays isn't going to do a damn thing to make Haley pull the head out of his ass.

And, hey, given how often Ben gets hurt....Laundry getting a day of reps during the week is probably not a bad thing :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:31 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
I think he requests days off, and the steelers organization give him the leeway to decide when he needs practice and when he doesn't. For good or bad.

Surely he could practice if he wanted. But it IS a vet's day off. I think as long as Ben and Tomlin feel the extra reps aren't the issue (and I'm not saying they are) he'll get the day off. Ben practicing on Wednesdays isn't going to do a damn thing to make Haley pull the head out of his ass.

And, hey, given how often Ben gets hurt....Laundry getting a day of reps during the week is probably not a bad thing :D

I'm no Haley apologists, to be sure. There are a handful of OCs that I would love to see what they could do with our offensive talent and with Ben buying in. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:35 pm 

DP39 wrote:
There are a handful of OCs that I would love to see what they could do with our offensive talent and with Ben buying in. ;)

Shoot, I think they could do more without an OC just by removing Haley from the equation. But I think it's safe to assume that everyone would be better served by Ben being less involved in the OC job. Peyton may have had a similar amount of influence, but I don't think any other QB is close.

Ben and AB certainly aren't sniping at Haley because they buy-in...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:46 pm 

Like it or not, Haley is the last OC Ben will ever have, and likely the only one Landry will have after Ben hangs em up. When another one does come along, we can only hope Tomlin is no longer around to fuck up his mojo as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:53 pm 

This wasn't Todd Haley's fault most likely. Position coaches responsible for getting appropriate personnel on the field - would suspect TE coach responsible here but I don't know what coaches handle jumbo package personnel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:55 pm 

FromPittWithLove wrote:
This wasn't Todd Haley's fault most likely. Position coaches responsible for getting appropriate personnel on the field - would suspect TE coach responsible here but I don't know what coaches handle jumbo package personnel.

It's Haley's fault if he changed his mind late about the playcall.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:57 pm 

Or got overuled by Tomlin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next