It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who is the fattest here ?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:55 am 

Pabst wrote:
Since it was brought up....

There is literally no evidence - 0. None. Nada - LITERALLY NO EVIDENCE that non-GMO food products are any safer or healthier than GMO.

Here's a nice write up from Cornell's Alliance for Science: http://allianceforscience.cornell.edu/blog/mark-lynas/gmo-safety-debate-over

The full study cited in that article is here: http://nas-sites.org/ge-crops/

It's probably not the genetically-manipulated part (although go to the produce aisle and see for yourself how much less flavorful even hybrid-manipulated species taste)-- it's more likely the rise of glyphosates that came with the GMP crops.

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/publications/00015/6-Dost-Glyphosate.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:00 pm 

DP39 wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
I just need to :roll: :roll: at some of this advice...

Yes.. Too much refined sugars in ones diet is bad
Yes... Too much processed food of all types in the diet are bad

That can be said about anything in excess in the diet. But cutting oil and sugar entirely is nonsense. Especially quality non-GMO oils with good Omega 3 ratios.

I agree that calorie restrictions are needed for obese people to cut weight to healthy levels. And there are many types of diets/tips/tricks to achieve calorie restrictions. We all are unique individuals and what works for one does not necessarily work for all. Some people can cut breakfast and that works great for them. Some people can stop eating at 6 pm every night and that works. Some people can eat 6 small meals a day. For some two large meals works better. Again, many diff ways to restrict calories if that is what one needs to get weight under control. But ultimately it is activity that is key to weight maintenance and keeps fit people from not getting fat in the first place. Most people would go crazy trying to eat at maintenance levels for long periods while being being sedentary. It just isn't much food. Not to mention food is an important part of our lives beyond just sustenance. I don't see society ever shifting from Birthday Cake to Birthday Kale. I'm a big believer in flexibility in diets. IIFYM is is much better approach long term than trying to abstain from sugar and oil. Eat a balanced diet and be active and you won't become a fat ass. It is that simple.

Pro, while some of your observations are true, some are not. I'm referring to not just losing weight, but being as healthy as you can be, feeding your body/engine what it was actually design to consume to function at optimum and live as long and as lively as you can (actually we are not so different when it comes to the real details of how our bodies function). There are plenty of healthy "looking", very active, 'fit' folks that die of heart disease in their 60s and 70's. That hereditary argument is just not true for the most part, it's mainly because of the diet and what it's done to their arteries. What I have advised is based on live data/statistics.. Did you know the top six centurion groups throughout the world mostly consume the diet I'm referring to. One of the them is in the US actually. California to be exact. They consume the diet I refer to (based on religious beliefs) and live well over 100 and have virtually none of the 'diseases' that those on the western diet have. They simply die of old age and are extremely healthy, happy and productive well into the 90's and 100's. There are extreme examples of a few healthy groups that vary somewhat from this diet, but they (their people) have lived in very extreme environments/climates over thousands of years and their bodies have adapted to that environment. Hope this helps.

Being as healthy as you can be goes beyond nutrition. I'm not saying people can or should eat whatever they want whenever they want. But nutrition doesn't have to be so rigid as to say you should never eat this or you should never eat that. I agree most people don't eat enough whole foods, vegetables, etc. And you and I probably aren't far off on what we view as the "optimum" diet for the human body is. But what I am saying is that is unrealistic advice. The groups of centurions you mention are able to pull that off because they are communities of like minded people. By the way, these groups aren't following the same exact diets. There are lots of similarities, but some differences. What evidence is there that the diet is the reason these groups have such longevity and not some other commonality among them? In all likelihood there are a number of factors that contribute to their longevity. I know I'm healthy. I know what works for me. And I'm confident I'll live a very long and healthy life without having to become a 7th Day Adventist.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:11 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
DP39 wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
I just need to :roll: :roll: at some of this advice...

Yes.. Too much refined sugars in ones diet is bad
Yes... Too much processed food of all types in the diet are bad

That can be said about anything in excess in the diet. But cutting oil and sugar entirely is nonsense. Especially quality non-GMO oils with good Omega 3 ratios.

I agree that calorie restrictions are needed for obese people to cut weight to healthy levels. And there are many types of diets/tips/tricks to achieve calorie restrictions. We all are unique individuals and what works for one does not necessarily work for all. Some people can cut breakfast and that works great for them. Some people can stop eating at 6 pm every night and that works. Some people can eat 6 small meals a day. For some two large meals works better. Again, many diff ways to restrict calories if that is what one needs to get weight under control. But ultimately it is activity that is key to weight maintenance and keeps fit people from not getting fat in the first place. Most people would go crazy trying to eat at maintenance levels for long periods while being being sedentary. It just isn't much food. Not to mention food is an important part of our lives beyond just sustenance. I don't see society ever shifting from Birthday Cake to Birthday Kale. I'm a big believer in flexibility in diets. IIFYM is is much better approach long term than trying to abstain from sugar and oil. Eat a balanced diet and be active and you won't become a fat ass. It is that simple.

Pro, while some of your observations are true, some are not. I'm referring to not just losing weight, but being as healthy as you can be, feeding your body/engine what it was actually design to consume to function at optimum and live as long and as lively as you can (actually we are not so different when it comes to the real details of how our bodies function). There are plenty of healthy "looking", very active, 'fit' folks that die of heart disease in their 60s and 70's. That hereditary argument is just not true for the most part, it's mainly because of the diet and what it's done to their arteries. What I have advised is based on live data/statistics.. Did you know the top six centurion groups throughout the world mostly consume the diet I'm referring to. One of the them is in the US actually. California to be exact. They consume the diet I refer to (based on religious beliefs) and live well over 100 and have virtually none of the 'diseases' that those on the western diet have. They simply die of old age and are extremely healthy, happy and productive well into the 90's and 100's. There are extreme examples of a few healthy groups that vary somewhat from this diet, but they (their people) have lived in very extreme environments/climates over thousands of years and their bodies have adapted to that environment. Hope this helps.

Being as healthy as you can be goes beyond nutrition. I'm not saying people can or should eat whatever they want whenever they want. But nutrition doesn't have to be so rigid as to say you should never eat this or you should never eat that. I agree most people don't eat enough whole foods, vegetables, etc. And you and I probably aren't far off on what we view as the "optimum" diet for the human body is. But what I am saying is that is unrealistic advice. The groups of centurions you mention are able to pull that off because they are communities of like minded people. By the way, these groups aren't following the same exact diets. There are lots of similarities, but some differences. What evidence is there that the diet is the reason these groups have such longevity and not some other commonality among them? In all likelihood there are a number of factors that contribute to their longevity. I know I'm healthy. I know what works for me. And I'm confident I'll live a very long and healthy life without having to become a 7th Day Adventist.
Yes. Commonality among centenarians includes the ability to get over loss, deal with and process stress, and doing something that engages the mind as well as the body, like crochet, or piano playing. And mobility.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:18 pm 

People that are 100-150 pounds overweight need drastic changes and "unrealistic advice". Telling them just to eat healthier and be active won't do it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:50 pm 

R S wrote:
People that are 100-150 pounds overweight need drastic changes and "unrealistic advice". Telling them just to eat healthier and be active won't do it.

I think a lot of people 100-150 overweight are failing at losing weight because they are following unrealistic advice and trying to make drastic changes. And those people usually find those changes to be unsustainable. Smaller changes have a better chance to stick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:11 pm 

People that far gone probably have some underlying psychological issue that would need to be remedied before any long lasting physical change could be undertaken. That's next level fat there man.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:26 pm 

Far too many people in America are addicted to sugar, refined sugar in particular. It effects the same part of the brain that heroin does, believe it or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:35 pm 

I've thought the bigger issue with GMO's was homogeneity making world-wide crops more susceptible to devastation by disease. All your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:57 pm 

Chef, what diets have you tried and what are Amish gyms like?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:17 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
what are Amish gyms like?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next