It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ben calls out Antonio
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:10 pm 

Sorry, but I can't just endorse the way this offense approached this game.

The score was 19 to 9 in the 4th quarter and the defense came up big by getting two INTs. If Shazier hadn't made his INT the Ravens would have been in our territory at the Steelers 40-45? If Shazier hadn't tipped the pass and Hilton intercepted, if that pass had sailed over Shazier to Campanero it would have been to the Steelers 20-25?

I love that our defense is playing great and coming up with these takeaways but doing so against a washed up Joe Flacco isn't going to happen every week. The idea that we thought 19 points was enough and turtling is the type of loser mentality that does not produce championships.

Also, if Brandon Williams is there playing NT this game it probably is totally different. Williams is that damn good, always gives Pouncey trouble.

We are at the first quarter mark and Bryant has 10 catches and 1 TD, that is on pace for 40 catches and 4 TDs. Not really the great #2 WR production that I was hoping for. I thought he would approach 65 catches, over 1,000 yards, 10-11 TDs at least. Nope. He is on pace for 40 catches, for 730 yards and 4 TDs. Wonderful.

Bryant's catch percentage is the lowest it has ever been in his NFL career. In 2014-2015 he was at 54% for both seasons, this year? 43.5%.

Haley could have Randy Moss and Antonio Gates playing with Brown and Bell and still not know how to run or call an offense to utilize all of that talent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:26 pm 

Agreed Scunge. We have been clamoring for all of these asshats to be on the field together and so far it’s been rather boring.

I think one large remaining issue is the TE position. One of the least talented units in the league. We don’t have a seam buster, don’t have a sure fire red zone threat, don’t have the point guard mismatch. We have a couple decent try hard blockers who will make a catch here and there.

I personally think McDonald can be a weapon but so far he has been in absentia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:29 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
I think one large remaining issue is the TE position. One of the least talented units in the league. We don’t have a seam buster, don’t have a sure fire red zone threat, don’t have the point guard mismatch.

Wouldn't matter if the receivers and RB were as advertised. JJ is just fine as a complementary role player. He's been, arguably, our 2nd leading receiver....and that's the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 am 

McDonald dropping everything thrown to him doesn't exactly make Ben want to keep going in that direction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 am 

I hate to be an arm-chair QB but our offense is atrocious. We have all these weapons and it seems like we actively try to not score as many points as we can. We literally have to play perfect offense to win games with our style. I really don't understand our ultra-conservative style of play at all. It really makes no sense with our personnel given that talent-wise there isn't an offense in the league that can stack up against us. We have a top OLine unit, a 2x super bowl winning QB, an elite WR, an elite RB, another WR who has a ridiculous ceiling, and a pretty good TE (Even though most here seem to hate him for some reason)....and we come in with a gameplan the Jets should be using.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:02 am 

Haley is a moron

But the game plan against Baltimore was damn near perfect. Thats pretty much all i can ask for. There is alot to be said for MartyBall when you are executing 10 minute drives, holding your opponent to single digits, and the only chance they have are some massive fuckupd on your part.

A division win on the road is fine by me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:03 am 

As for Bryant. Im beginning to think the Steelers might try to keep him around longterm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:43 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
I think one large remaining issue is the TE position. One of the least talented units in the league. We don’t have a seam buster, don’t have a sure fire red zone threat, don’t have the point guard mismatch.

Wouldn't matter if the receivers and RB were as advertised. JJ is just fine as a complementary role player. He's been, arguably, our 2nd leading receiver....and that's the problem.

I disagree. TE has its own role and you still have to be able to fill the role well, regardless of what WRs and RBs are doing. The stuff like taking advantage of underneath space is one thing, attacking the seam in a way that opens up the run and clears out for other receivers (like what Xavier Grimble did a little of last year) is huge.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:38 am 

Chef and Perch from the podcast have me thinking; looking back at the BAL game plan, it was enough to win although it was almost a one score game well into the 4th quarter.

Here is what comes to mind. Football is a fast, violent game. It is a looooong season and if you get to the dance you have a chance. Sort of. It’s probably not possible to be firing on all cylinders offensively for 16 straight weeks and expect to do the same come January. Weather, injuries, burnout, all of that shit happens.

If Tomlin & Co. approach each game with a plan that gives us the best chance to win, and more often than not we do win, then I’m not sure what I can be pissed about. 10-1 in our last regular season games; how can anyone argue with that.

However, I’m still 100 percent convinced you need home field to get past NE or maybe even KC this year, so dropping a game in the fashion we did to the Bears is still not acceptable. We actually have a pretty tough schedule this year:

Lions
Packers
Texans
Patriots
Titans

Winning is everything, but sloppy play, penalties and poor execution persist. I don’t know, I’m just babbling at this point. All I know is most offensive series it doesn’t look like these guys even practice together and it’s very weird. But if we keep winning, what can you say?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:43 am 

Kodiak wrote:
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
So with you stating you're ok with what AB did, in your opinion was it ok for him to put his hands up like wtf, toss the Gatorade jug, fiercely slap away the coaches hand that is on your shoulder trying to talk you down off the ledge?

Slapping away a coach's hand, no.

The rest of it, sure. We've seen Brady at least that demonstrative on the sideline many times. And if it's ok for Ben to wave and gesture at receivers after they screw up, then it's certainly ok for AB.

Sure, AB is a diva and we've seen him pout when he's not getting the ball. But he's also a fierce competitor, and sometimes that fire is lacking in the team.

I understand your point. Fuck Tom Brady by the way. I could give two shits about his sideline tantrums and the ensuing sac licking love fest by the media when that happens. Ben pointing at a receiver because they fucked up somehow I'm ok with, AB whining like a bitch because he was wide open and Ben didn't see him, I'm not ok with it. Maybe that's just AB trying to hold Ben accountable like your example of Ben to his WR's but I see it as Ben is trying not to get sacked and rolling right under pressure, why Ben motioning to a certain WR for running an incomplete route is not the same thing. Either way your point is taken. The missing fire is a good point. We sure do need some more fire.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next