It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Ben calls out Antonio
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:09 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Chef and Perch from the podcast have me thinking; looking back at the BAL game plan, it was enough to win although it was almost a one score game well into the 4th quarter.

Here is what comes to mind. Football is a fast, violent game. It is a looooong season and if you get to the dance you have a chance. Sort of. It’s probably not possible to be firing on all cylinders offensively for 16 straight weeks and expect to do the same come January. Weather, injuries, burnout, all of that shit happens.

If Tomlin & Co. approach each game with a plan that gives us the best chance to win, and more often than not we do win, then I’m not sure what I can be pissed about. 10-1 in our last regular season games; how can anyone argue with that.

However, I’m still 100 percent convinced you need home field to get past NE or maybe even KC this year, so dropping a game in the fashion we did to the Bears is still not acceptable. We actually have a pretty tough schedule this year:

Lions
Packers
Texans
Patriots
Titans

Winning is everything, but sloppy play, penalties and poor execution persist. I don’t know, I’m just babbling at this point. All I know is most offensive series it doesn’t look like these guys even practice together and it’s very weird. But if we keep winning, what can you say?

While I agree with much that everyone has said as far as not keeping their foot on the pedal and putting teams away early, I have been trying to think why Tomlin et al would do what they do in this regard.
I believe Tomlin and company believe if you have a decent lead and it's early in a long season, they take into account the chance of injuries or reducing the chance of them. My guess is that they feel they put far fewer starters at risk of injury when they play "turtle ball", somewhat. Think about it. The only real position you put at risk (or more risk, at least) is the RB position by running the ball so much. Ben, TEs, WRs and OL (hurt more in pass pro than run blocking) are very protected, compared to throwing a lot. If you're running with a lot of success then your D is also off the field quite a bit. That's my take at least. If true, I hope they rotate their RBs more in the future to reduce the chance of risk to Bell.

Post subject: Re: Ben calls out Antonio
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:53 pm 

DP39 wrote:
I believe Tomlin and company believe if you have a decent lead and it's early in a long season, they take into account the chance of injuries or reducing the chance of them. My guess is that they feel they put far fewer starters at risk of injury when they play "turtle ball", somewhat.

I think every team does this to some extent, except NE. Most teams wait longer, and with a much bigger lead.

Cowher was the same way. Two score lead in 2nd half = milk clock, minimize mistakes and protect your defense. I think it's a wasted opportunity to make your team better and more versatile (hmmm, something NE is known for). I also think such an ultra-conservative approach is pretty obsolete/stupid in today's NFL.

It's no coincidence the Steelers replaced Cowher with a guy a lot like him. Of course, Cowher didn't usually get "outcoached" until deep in the playoffs against a future HOFer at QB and eventual SB champion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8