It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL advertisers nervous
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:36 am 

Quote:
Four weeks into the current NFL season television ratings are down nearly 10% overall compared to the first four weeks of last season. Sunday’s games in Week 4, according to Nielsen, had the smallest audience of any season so far: an average 14.2 million viewers.

Add that ratings dip to the ongoing controversy around player protests, and you might reasonably wonder how official NFL sponsors, as well as brands that buy advertising during NFL games, feel right now about the league.

The answer: “They’re nervous,” says Brian Cristiano, CEO of ad agency Bold Worldwide. “Everyone is looking at the numbers, they’re looking at the ratings… they’re nervous. They’re like, ‘Are we overpaying? What are we going to do? Can we have makeups? How else are we going to get this exposure back?'”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nfl- ... 54056.html
Biting the hand that feeds you is not a successful business plan....

Post subject: Re: NFL advertisers nervous
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:17 pm 

Two weeks from now the numbers will level out. Nobody will care unless somebody does something to upset the status quo.

Like the president saying something stupid, or another player decides to run onto the field and moon the flag.

The NFL is to big a machine to be brought down overnight. Advertisers being "nervous" is just crying wolf to corporate america.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:44 am 

Pigs Get Fat, Hogs Get Slaughtered.

I think things are on the slippery slope now

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:16 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Two weeks from now the numbers will level out. Nobody will care unless somebody does something to upset the status quo.

You really think so? My completely anecdotal observation is ratings start to dip as the season goes on and the bandwagon fans abandon their crappy teams.

Last year the excuse was election coverage eating into ratings. And that makes sense, but now you're down another 10% from that number?

I think the bump/growth from fantasy football is tapering off from its peak. I also think the overall product where teams struggle to play defense and refs have huge impacts on games is hurting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:21 am 
Kodiak wrote:

I think the bump/growth from fantasy football is tapering off from its peak. I also think the overall product where teams struggle to play defense and refs have huge impacts on games is hurting.

I agree with this.

Unfortunately I think the nfl response rather than solidify their base will further dilute and weaken things.

The game is a complete shambles for those of us who grew up watching it. The rules are unknown nebulous and open to vast interpretation. The refs impact games and outcomes more than the coaches and players. Every inch of everything surrounding the game beyond the 60 minutes on the field is contemptable and cheap.

If i wasnt addicted i wouldve gladly walked away years ago. So wouldve everyone else here if they were honest. We are all addicted. They can cut the game with ajax and all us would wait in line til the end of the week for one more game.

All these new fans dont really give a rats ass either way....but....they can walk away so they drive the nfl status quo....

The nfl is the only industry i can think of that used up its entire natural fan base and was forced to make concessions to gather more outside consumers amd keep growing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:43 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

You really think so? My completely anecdotal observation is ratings start to dip as the season goes on and the bandwagon fans abandon their crappy teams.

Last year the excuse was election coverage eating into ratings. And that makes sense, but now you're down another 10% from that number?

My anecdotal observation is that as the season progresses, more football drama and climax will be either fabricated or because of the season getting to the end. People will still watch. Like I said, unless something rocks the boat, like the president threatening to rescind tax breaks for the NFL owners.

Last edited by COR-TEN on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:20 pm 

You can hide under a rock if you want, but like a candidate ignoring midwestern states, eventually reality sets in. Ratings are dropping, approve/disapprove in terms of the NFL have had one of the more dramatic drops I've ever seen. News now coming out of NFL owners considering forcing players to stand tells me that the NFL is seeing drops in markets they never dreamed they'd see drops in.

Again, you can try to put your head in the sand on this issue, but that's not going to change reality. The NFL's only hope at this point is they force people to stand and hope people forget. Sure their will be the typical "Slave Master" bs...

Fans have shown they are willing to do something else on Sunday - I doubt you'll find too players who will give up those fat checks to do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:35 pm 

It would be delusional to think the anthem thing is the single reason ratings are down. Forcing players to stand like they do in N Korea will have worse effects financial and socially on the country than allowing them to kneel. The only reason they would create state worship and idolatry is because their cushy tax loopholes will be taken away.

I can name five other reasons that contribute to the decline of ratings, but I'm the one hiding from reality?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:46 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
It would be delusional to think the anthem thing is the single reason ratings are down....I can name five other reasons that contribute to the decline of ratings, but I'm the one hiding from reality?

Absolutely. The Anthem impact, if any, is going to be felt for a few weeks, tops. The NFL peeked a few years ago, at the height of fantasy football. This is why they've been pushing so hard for YEARS to crack the Europe/Mexico/Canada markets....but it's a slow, boring and confusing game for people who didn't grow up with it - don't think the NFL will ever have real international appeal.

I quit watching pre-games and post-games and highlights year ago. When the Steelers suck again, I may lose interest all together - they have already been very hard to watch this year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:05 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
It would be delusional to think the anthem thing is the single reason ratings are down....I can name five other reasons that contribute to the decline of ratings, but I'm the one hiding from reality?

Absolutely. The Anthem impact, if any, is going to be felt for a few weeks, tops. The NFL peeked a few years ago, at the height of fantasy football. This is why they've been pushing so hard for YEARS to crack the Europe/Mexico/Canada markets....but it's a slow, boring and confusing game for people who didn't grow up with it - don't think the NFL will ever have real international appeal.

I quit watching pre-games and post-games and highlights year ago. When the Steelers suck again, I may lose interest all together - they have already been very hard to watch this year.

I think the ratings were going down anyway. The whole anthem thing didn't help. It's was like puncturing another hole in the Titanic...it was gonna sink anyway so what's a few more gallons of water?