It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps 10-11-17
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:02 pm 

Pabst wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
This roster is far from set. There are holes on the fourth line and Sullivan has been hesitant to use that line much so far. McKegg, while a nice piece is not cutout for full time duty on the third line. Have to factor in that either Sid or Geno are going to miss time and you have to have someone who can take up the minutes. We don't know if McKegg can do so.

If you examine the roster for pieces to move you have to account for what they bring and what their salaries are. IMO Hagelin is the best piece to move. We know what he brings, we know what he can do but you have to remember that he isn't a youngster that has upside.
While a good player he is expandable more so than say Guentzel or Sheary. Plus Hagelin would bring more than Sheary could ever hope to.

The Pens will upgrade the center position eventually,when the buying price is in the range that Rutherford feels is right and one piece towards that will be Hagelin.

Not necessarily....The Pens have about $2m in Cap space available. You can find a bottom 6 Center for right around that price without having to give up much salary (Kevin Hayes, Jay Beagle, that Latvian guy in Buffalo).

Although Hagelin's salary plus their available Cap space would be enough to sign Joe Pavelski or John Tavares (not that it will ever happen). If they give up Hagelin, they better get a stud in return.

A stud in return? You mean like David Perron who they traded for Hagelin?
I like Hagelin a lot especially the speed angle and the PK and the short handed threat on the PK but he is what he is a third line guy. Sure you can move him around but he isn't really suited for a winger job next to the franchise two over the course of the season.
JR has said he has three guys in mind for the third line center. That player isn't on the roster now. If they can swing a deal to get a legit 3 line center then the teams depth improves. Move McKegg to fourth line and then Rowney can be that winger adding depth.
I just don't see another player on the team that is more valuable as a trade asset for a 3 line center.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
I like Hagelin a lot especially the speed angle and the PK and the short handed threat on the PK but he is what he is a third line guy. Sure you can move him around but he isn't really suited for a winger job next to the franchise two over the course of the season.
JR has said he has three guys in mind for the third line center. That player isn't on the roster now. If they can swing a deal to get a legit 3 line center then the teams depth improves. Move McKegg to fourth line and then Rowney can be that winger adding depth.
I just don't see another player on the team that is more valuable as a trade asset for a 3 line center.

Maybe I should restate...

I don't think they'll need to give up Hagelin in order to get someone like a JG Pageau or Calle Jarnkrok or Phillip Danault (I'm just spitballing on the possible trade options here). And the Pens will be able to work those guys under the Cap without any trouble.
If they are going to deal him, that gives the Pens $6m in cap space to work with, so I'd like to see it as a part of a bigger deal to bring in Duchene or maybe Frans Nielsen, Martin Hanzal, or Derek Stepan (again, spitballing).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:47 pm 

In the offseason I was on the "trade Hags" train, but not anymore. I think the key to Kessel is Hags moreso than any Center who is with Phil.

I think the most likely people to get traded are Sheary or Wilson. We've got a bunch of wingers on the roster plus some in the minors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:06 pm 

Pabst wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Maybe I should restate...

I don't think they'll need to give up Hagelin in order to get someone like a JG Pageau or Calle Jarnkrok or Phillip Danault (I'm just spitballing on the possible trade options here). And the Pens will be able to work those guys under the Cap without any trouble.
If they are going to deal him, that gives the Pens $6m in cap space to work with, so I'd like to see it as a part of a bigger deal to bring in Duchene or maybe Frans Nielsen, Martin Hanzal, or Derek Stepan (again, spitballing).

Pabst, I get where you're coming from. I want the Pens to go out and wow us with a big acquisition on the Center spot. The time is right to build up as much as they can for the next 2-3 years and make a serious run at 4 cups with this core. Damn the future-raise another banner this decade.