It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 am 

A couple things. I think I already said this earlier, but unless they took an actual flag, cut it up and made it into bikinis, then there is nothing there against the flag code.

-the spending shows that the healthcare system is broken and throwing more money at it likely won't make it better.

-I have no problems with doctors making the money they do. Med school is outrageously expensive. it takes a decade or more of schooling before they can start making real money. If you wanna talk about doctor shortages, start paying them a lot less and see who signs up for all that.....

somethings gotta give. either cheaper med school, faster tracks, etc. if you wanna get cost down on MD's

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 am 

My understand is the malpractice insurance is helping to driving up the price of care. Yes medical school is expensive and people come out of it with $100K+ in debt. But doctors are stopping practice because of the cost of the insurance. Now is that mean there needs to be tort reform? Putting a ceiling on how much a mistake is worth?

There is no silver bullet for the health care system. Tossing an unfunded mandate to the States will not work. Perhaps they need a system like Oregon had/has where they list procedures that they will pay for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 am 

R S wrote:
A couple things. I think I already said this earlier, but unless they took an actual flag, cut it up and made it into bikinis, then there is nothing there against the flag code.

-the spending shows that the healthcare system is broken and throwing more money at it likely won't make it better.

-I have no problems with doctors making the money they do. Med school is outrageously expensive. it takes a decade or more of schooling before they can start making real money. If you wanna talk about doctor shortages, start paying them a lot less and see who signs up for all that.....

somethings gotta give. either cheaper med school, faster tracks, etc. if you wanna get cost down on MD's

Liberal Arts PhDs (physics, math, philosophy, history) piss away 10 years of prime earning power to get a PhD and get paid peanuts. Boo fucking hoo. The problem is medical schools price gouging their students. Law and Medicine: degrees granted by universities and yet totally unfunded for the students unlike all the other PhD programs. It's a fucking racket! Tuition sky high for undergrads and yet none of it apparently funds medical school costs. Meanwhile sports programs pull in obscene amounts of money.

Now surely I have no idea what I'm talking about. This is a totally unresearched post on my part. I fully admit it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:

Liberal Arts PhDs (physics, math, philosophy, history) piss away 10 years of prime earning power to get a PhD and get paid peanuts. Boo fucking hoo. The problem is medical schools price gouging their students. Law and Medicine: degrees granted by universities and yet totally unfunded for the students unlike all the other PhD programs. It's a fucking racket! Tuition sky high for undergrads and yet none of it apparently funds medical school costs. Meanwhile sports programs pull in obscene amounts of money.

Now surely I have no idea what I'm talking about. This is a totally unresearched post on my part. I fully admit it.

Can't you work a decent job while pursuing a PhD? Even have your schooling paid for by said employee? Does it really take 10 years of schooling for a PhD?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 pm 

10 years is an exaggeration.

7 to 8 years is not.

You cannot work a decent job unless you want things to take even longer. Generally, liberal arts PhD candidates are funded by the uni.

After course work and comprehensive exams, you have to write a 250 page monograph that no one outside your diss committee will ever read. Said monograph takes quite a while to complete bc having never done it before, one has no idea what one is doing.

All in all, it's an impressively dumb thing to do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm 

Still Lit wrote:

7 to 8 years is not.

He probably didn't realize you were including undergrad in that. But 2 years of graduate coursework and another 1-2 for the dissertation, sure. Isn't it also fairly common to add another 1-2 years as a TA, with a small stipend, to get some teaching experience and a bit longer for the dissertation?

I think a lot of doctors (MD variety) complain because after 8 years of school, very expensive school, they have another 4-5 years of residency (sometimes more) where they are barely making enough to live on after loan payments....then another rude awakening with malpractice insurance....and then, just like many MBA's, they find they might be doing pretty well but another rude awakening learning mostly only the top in the their field make the big money. You're average GP/family doc/pediatrician might make around $160k...which is good pay, but when you consider the extra debt, insurance, and lean earning years many of them probably would have done better in business.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:21 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

7 to 8 years is not.

He probably didn't realize you were including undergrad in that. But 2 years of graduate coursework and another 1-2 for the dissertation, sure. Isn't it also fairly common to add another 1-2 years as a TA, with a small stipend, to get some teaching experience and a bit longer for the dissertation?

I think a lot of doctors (MD variety) complain because after 8 years of school, very expensive school, they have another 4-5 years of residency (sometimes more) where they are barely making enough to live on after loan payments....then another rude awakening with malpractice insurance....and then, just like many MBA's, they find they might be doing pretty well but another rude awakening learning mostly only the top in the their field make the big money. You're average GP/family doc/pediatrician might make around $160k...which is good pay, but when you consider the extra debt, insurance, and lean earning years many of them probably would have done better in business.

sad but true ^^^ everyone thinks going to college is the sure fire way to make it.. Maybe back in the day..
Today.. Give me a good 2 year Cisco/ Cyber security associates degree and let me hit the big contractors.. see who comes out on top in 5 years..want to make even more... have about 10/20 years of military experience on top of that.. you will be cooking with mogas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:07 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

7 to 8 years is not.

Kodiak, baby, I am not including undergrad. Some people are on fire and finish coursework in two years, pass comprehensive exams by end of year three, and bang out a dissertation by the end of year five. But a lot take 7 years, sometimes 8. And not because they are lazy. It all depends. How much are you going to conferences? Are you trying to get published prior to defending?

One year for the dissertation?!? I don't think so.

TAing is different in different departments. Some research programs do not even have their grads TA.

It is really easy for someone to go in their mid 20s and come out early 30s. Prime earning years.

But the point is, the good programs fund their students and do not charge tuition. Why do medical schools have to charge tuition? Why isn't the undergaduate tuition funding med students or law students like EVERY other program?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:08 pm 

Good point Lit, and a good question. Could it be because many of the PhD students end up professors and it's a way to keep a good influx of talent to go around? I mean, what do you so with a PhD in philosophy other than teach philosophy? Could be way off on that guess.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:56 pm 

R S wrote:
Good point Lit, and a good question. Could it be because many of the PhD students end up professors and it's a way to keep a good influx of talent to go around? I mean, what do you so with a PhD in philosophy other than teach philosophy? Could be way off on that guess.

Problem is there are too many PhDs and not enough professorships to accommodate them.

What else do you do? You help invent the Terminator.

https://philjobs.org/job/show/8710

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next