It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: World Series
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:46 am 

Because let's not keep bumping the 'Charlie Morton' thread :lol:

Pretty wild game last night at the Ravine. 8 dingers! . . . record-setting heat or juiced baseballs?

Also a T-Watty appearance (would've been the winning pitcher if the Doyers held on).

How great it must be to have the ownership of your team, already kicking ass like the 'Stros were in August, who then go out and raise it to the next level by getting a deal done to bring Verlander onboard -- wow. Something we Buccos fans will never, ever experience with Nutting & Co. at the helm, despite having engineered the, ahem, greatest mlb trade of all time ©. . .

PS. Awesome 'first pitch' skit by the immortal Vin Scully 8-)

Post subject: Re: World Series
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:23 pm 

You Francoshopped that photo? Kudos, if so.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:53 pm 

Ice wrote:
You Francoshopped that photo? Kudos, if so.

Thanks Ice -- sometimes I bump up the contrast or perhaps mess w/ saturation, but no, it was a real photo on the interwebs from the AFCCG in 2011. (I try to grab pics I like when I see 'em because they're not always permanent -- i.e., when I google this photo now, the only example it finds comes right back to my avatar on SFury :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 pm 

I had to get up early and didn't finish the game. Dodgers were up 3-1 and I figured they had it so I went to bed. I caught the highlights and I have to say that I missed an epic game. Stros hit bombs in the 9th, 10th, and 11th innings. First team to ever do that in a post season game. Awesome stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:39 pm 

franco>madden wrote:

Pretty wild game last night at the Ravine. 8 dingers! . . . record-setting heat or juiced baseballs?

Also a T-Watty appearance (would've been the winning pitcher if the Doyers held on).

How great it must be to have the ownership of your team, already kicking ass like the 'Stros were in August, who then go out and raise it to the next level by getting a deal done to bring Verlander onboard -- wow. Something we Buccos fans will never, ever experience with Nutting & Co. at the helm, despite having engineered the, ahem, greatest mlb trade of all time ©. . .

Here is the thing about the Astros. They told their fans similar promises to the ones the Pirates were telling us. They said they would start spending again when they were good enough to warrant it. Here are the Astros opening day payrolls the last few seasons:

2012 - 60,651,000
2013 - 22,062,600
2014 - 44,544,174
2015 - 70,910,100
2016 - 69,064,200

Over that 5 year stretch the Pirates outspent the Astros by a whopping 100 million bucks. (I'm shocked by the amount too!)

But now things have taken a big turn. The Astros actually followed thru with real spending increases, unlike the BS from Pirates ownership. This year the Astros opening day payroll was $117 million. And it appears they added another $12 million or so during the season. The Astros saved up a war chest over the last half of a decade. This year they weren't afraid to open it up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:29 pm 

Fuck Nutting, Coonelly and Huntington.

Twatty just gave up a run with a wild throw to first. Glad to see he hasn't changed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:11 pm 

and Morton looking good in his world series start..go figure!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:12 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
franco>madden wrote:

Here is the thing about the Astros. They told their fans similar promises to the ones the Pirates were telling us. They said they would start spending again when they were good enough to warrant it. Here are the Astros opening day payrolls the last few seasons:

2012 - 60,651,000
2013 - 22,062,600
2014 - 44,544,174
2015 - 70,910,100
2016 - 69,064,200

Over that 5 year stretch the Pirates outspent the Astros by a whopping 100 million bucks. (I'm shocked by the amount too!)

But now things have taken a big turn. The Astros actually followed thru with real spending increases, unlike the BS from Pirates ownership. This year the Astros opening day payroll was $117 million. And it appears they added another $12 million or so during the season. The Astros saved up a war chest over the last half of a decade. This year they weren't afraid to open it up.

you know how to anger a buc fan with facts sir... :cry: bucs war chest is in nuttings various accounts! where it stays!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:38 pm 

bam morris wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Here are the Astros opening day payrolls the last few seasons:

2012 - 60,651,000
2013 - 22,062,600
2014 - 44,544,174
2015 - 70,910,100
2016 - 69,064,200

Over that 5 year stretch the Pirates outspent the Astros by a whopping 100 million bucks.
(I'm shocked by the amount too!)

you know how to anger a buc fan with facts sir... :cry: bucs war chest is in nuttings various accounts! where it stays!

Not sure I get your anger

Pro just proved that the Bucs spent $100 MILLION more than the Astros over that time period, and yet everyone here BITCHES AND MOANS.

If the Pirates spent as little as the Astros have over the past 5 years on payroll, this board would go into even a bigger meltdown than it usually does.

What the Astros experience really shows is, payroll isn't the great indicator of how good your team is. Young talent acquisition is key, not your pocketbook.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:51 pm 

steel wrote:
bam morris wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Here are the Astros opening day payrolls the last few seasons:

2012 - 60,651,000
2013 - 22,062,600
2014 - 44,544,174
2015 - 70,910,100
2016 - 69,064,200

Over that 5 year stretch the Pirates outspent the Astros by a whopping 100 million bucks.
(I'm shocked by the amount too!)

Not sure I get your anger

Pro just proved that the Bucs spent $100 MILLION more than the Astros over that time period, and yet everyone here BITCHES AND MOANS.

If the Pirates spent as little as the Astros have over the past 5 years on payroll, this board would go into even a bigger meltdown than it usually does.

What the Astros experience really shows is, payroll isn't the great indicator of how good your team is. Young talent acquisition is key, not your pocketbook.

anger...being sarcastic...he shows what we all see..cheap ass owner...meanwhile Morton pitches gem and gets a standing o in series