It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remaining Schedule
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:32 pm 

The bye comes neatly this year, exactly half way through the season. Here are some thoughts on the remaining regular season schedule:

First game up after the bye is at Indy. After winning 6 of his first 7 games as a head coach following a bye, Tomlin has lost his last 3. This is a big game; conference game against an inferior opponent on the road. Too often that spells trouble, but the colts have not put up much resistance in recent years. How nice would it be to come out and put up some serious points for a change?

The Indy game is followed by 4 (count 'em) consecutive games in prime time. Has to be a record, or at least a tie. The first is a Thursday night game, home against Titans. Players hate the Thursday night games. Big, big advantage (don't have the stats in front of me), I believe to the home team in these games. To play a game on Sunday and then be on the road for another game a few days later is really tough. Big edge to the Steelers here.

After that, the Packers come to town for another Sunday night game after Thanksgiving. Who doesn't love the Sunday night games? Aaron Rodgers is fun to watch, let's be thankful he won't be playing in this one.

The Packers game is followed by the big three that will most likely determine the Steelers playoff seed, with a real shot at home field throughout. At Bungles (watch out for slimeball Burfick) on Monday night is first, followed by home against Ravens, another Sunday night game. The Ravens have looked as bad as a team can look at times this year; so long as the goal is to go out and destroy them (which I'm worried won't be the game plan), this should be a win. Then those fuckers from New England come to town, Sunday, 4:30 game. If I see the defense play a soft zone I'll have a meltdown. I'm actually optimistic (cautiously optimistic) this defense can present problems for Brady this time around.

The season ends with games at Texans (won't be easy, especially after amped up, emotional three game stretch), and home to Clowns (should be easy; will they be winless?).

All in all, an exciting schedule, with 5 of 8 at home, and 4 in a row in prime time. For all their struggles and warts, this is as well positioned the Steelers have been in a long time to get home field throughout the playoffs. If red zone offense can be revamped and be what it should, the number one seed is there for the taking.

Post subject: Re: Remaining Schedule
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:45 pm 

Will-the-Shake wrote:
The bye comes neatly this year, exactly half way through the season. Here are some thoughts on the remaining regular season schedule:

First game up after the bye is at Indy. After winning 6 of his first 7 games as a head coach following a bye, Tomlin has lost his last 3. This is a big game; conference game against an inferior opponent on the road. Too often that spells trouble, but the colts have not put up much resistance in recent years. How nice would it be to come out and put up some serious points for a change?

The Indy game is followed by 4 (count 'em) consecutive games in prime time. Has to be a record, or at least a tie. The first is a Thursday night game, home against Titans. Players hate the Thursday night games. Big, big advantage (don't have the stats in front of me), I believe to the home team in these games. To play a game on Sunday and then be on the road for another game a few days later is really tough. Big edge to the Steelers here.

After that, the Packers come to town for another Sunday night game after Thanksgiving. Who doesn't love the Sunday night games? Aaron Rodgers is fun to watch, let's be thankful he won't be playing in this one.

The Packers game is followed by the big three that will most likely determine the Steelers playoff seed, with a real shot at home field throughout. At Bungles (watch out for slimeball Burfick) on Monday night is first, followed by home against Ravens, another Sunday night game. The Ravens have looked as bad as a team can look at times this year; so long as the goal is to go out and destroy them (which I'm worried won't be the game plan), this should be a win. Then those fuckers from New England come to town, Sunday, 4:30 game. If I see the defense play a soft zone I'll have a meltdown. I'm actually optimistic (cautiously optimistic) this defense can present problems for Brady this time around.

The season ends with games at Texans (won't be easy, especially after amped up, emotional three game stretch), and home to Clowns (should be easy; will they be winless?).

All in all, an exciting schedule, with 5 of 8 at home, and 4 in a row in prime time. For all their struggles and warts, this is as well positioned the Steelers have been in a long time to get home field throughout the playoffs. If red zone offense can be revamped and be what it should, the number one seed is there for the taking.

Good breakdown. I agree. Also, getting Tuitt and Gilbert back healthy for the stretch run would be fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:51 pm 

Thinking the Steelers go 12-4 or 13-3. Likely should be enough for a bye at least. Shame with that Bears game. Would've provided some cushion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:00 pm 

Good write up, Shake

We mumbled, bumbled, stumbled our way to 3-2. Thru that span we could see a D that seemed to be playing well and with potential but needed more testing.

We have 3 quality wins the past 3 weeks even with the warts. The good thing is, arrow seems to be pointing up for this team.

We got an enormous break with A. Rodgers out.

It's going to be riveting theater watching this play out the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:14 pm 

I'm feeling weird about the Pats game. Tomlin and Haley might actually over analyze and over think it with playoff implications. Do they open the playbook and expose themselves, or do they play vanilla and lose the game thinking they will break out the appropriate game plan in the playoffs?

Or is it just redemption game? They ball and blow their wad during the season, and then belichick fucks them with a completely different game plan or three in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:33 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I'm feeling weird about the Pats game. Tomlin and Haley might actually over analyze and over think it with playoff implications. Do they open the playbook and expose themselves, or do they play vanilla and lose the game thinking they will break out the appropriate game plan in the playoffs?

Or is it just redemption game? They ball and blow their wad during the season, and then belichick fucks them with a completely different game plan or three in the playoffs.

If the Steelers continue to play well- I see that Pats game as a final tune-up for Ben before they give the ball to Landry or Dobbs against Cleveland. If - with the emphasis on if- we have it locked up I'd mothball Ben until the playoffs and vanilla the defense showing no blitzes or exotic coverages- make it a real old school football game. Right now I just believe that the Pats are in survival mode in that division, that could change though. Just doesn't feel like the laydown they usually get from the Bills and Jets

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:46 pm 

Steelers will be Patriots 3rd consecutive road game, there 5th in 6 weeks coming off of the bye (remarkable, I think) and follows a road Monday nighter at Miami.

All of those are advantage Steelers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:52 pm 

We should only be dogs in one of these games, which means we'll lose half.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:54 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
We should only be dogs in one of these games, which means we'll lose half.

MIGHT not be dogs in any.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:32 pm 

I'm hoping NE and KC drop a few.....go into the NE game with a 2-game lead on home field, and that game doesn't matter if they take care of HOU and CLE. Plus, NE finishes up at home vs. BUF and NYJ - no gimmees.

If they can get a bye, I'd just as well assume they not shut things down the last week or two. I don't trust this offense to be sharp in a Divisional Playoff game if they haven't played in 2-3 weeks.