It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How huge has the Alulua signing?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:19 am 

In my mind's eye, looking at the front seven talent, I picture that amorphous, standing up undeclared blob of a front 7 that only coalesces at the last second or two, leaving the QB guessing, that I remember New England employing successfully in the past. I'm not sure we have to switch from a 34 to a 43, but being multiple and coming from different angles is important.

The fronts (4-man, Watt at ILB, etc.) used against Detroit will be part of the Patriots three-game rotation of tape used to prepare for that game in Pittsburgh, right?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:13 am 
Scunge wrote:

This defense has not arrived, is not a finished product. They should be trying to figure out how to maximize players potential instead of blindly adhering to the 3-4 defense. Hargrave playing 46% of the snaps is pathetic.

James Harrison not playing at all is ridiculous. William Gay continuing to see snaps is bordering on lunacy

Another case of damned if you do damned if you dont with a largely bipolar fan base....lol

For decades most have been screaming about bringing in wave players to keep starters fresh. Now that we are doing that its a wailing and crying about why whoever isnt on the field all the time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:31 am 

Thing too about willie gay is he’s probably coming in as a dime cb and probably the play is not called for the receiver he’d be matched up on. Steelers probably have him in a zone anyway.

Long and short is, gay is playing more like a hybrid safety anyway when he’s on the field. Steelers have 3 guys in burns Haden and Hilton who can match up in man. So imo willie gay can be effective in that role.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:53 am 

Scunge wrote:
The offenses and QBs that we have been facing have been underwhelming. It does not improve much over the next couple games facing Jacoby Brissett and Jared Hundley instead of Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers.

This defense has not arrived, is not a finished product. They should be trying to figure out how to maximize players potential instead of blindly adhering to the 3-4 defense. Hargrave playing 46% of the snaps is pathetic.

James Harrison not playing at all is ridiculous. William Gay continuing to see snaps is bordering on lunacy.
I remember Dupree saying that he thought playing 16 games wouldn't be a big deal, and then hit a "rookie wall." Was completely ineffective in the last four - five games. You guys are way more knowledgeable than me, but I'm guessing they are holding Harrison until the end and see if Watt hits the same wall. And Gay is probably seeing more snaps than they wanted because of Sutton's absence.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:39 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Scunge wrote:
The offenses and QBs that we have been facing have been underwhelming. It does not improve much over the next couple games facing Jacoby Brissett and Jared Hundley instead of Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers.

James Harrison not playing at all is ridiculous. William Gay continuing to see snaps is bordering on lunacy.
I remember Dupree saying that he thought playing 16 games wouldn't be a big deal, and then hit a "rookie wall." Was completely ineffective in the last four - five games. You guys are way more knowledgeable than me, but I'm guessing they are holding Harrison until the end and see if Watt hits the same wall. And Gay is probably seeing more snaps than they wanted because of Sutton's absence.

Wouldn’t it make more sense in that case to spell Watt heoughout the games? Also, it is lit like ten to fifteen snaps will prevent Deebo from contributing at a later time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:04 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Scunge wrote:

Wouldn’t it make more sense in that case to spell Watt heoughout the games? Also, it is lit like ten to fifteen snaps will prevent Deebo from contributing at a later time.
I'm not in those closed rooms where plans are developed. All I know is that placing Watt in the game for as many snaps as he can handle is learning with continuity; building experience. If he's ultimately going to be the starter. . . Intermittently gaining knowledge and experience will only slow the process down. If he doesn't hit the proverbial rookie wall, then it's even better as he'll be good to go with a lot of snaps under his belt for the end of the regular season and ready for the post. I don't think this is about holding harrison back or limiting his snaps. It's about giving them to Watt and the rest of the LB crew. Harrison isn't going to be around forever. I'm guessing this is his last year.

Post subject: Re: How huge was the Aluala signing?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:56 pm 

I just noticed how bad i butchered the thread title.

For the Polynesian alphabet only having a little over 10 letters, it's surprisingly confusing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:03 pm 

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12908589-74/steelers-lt-walton-earns-coaches-trust-deserves-to-play-after-recent-performance

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 am 

SteelerChef wrote:
Scunge wrote:

James Harrison not playing at all is ridiculous. William Gay continuing to see snaps is bordering on lunacy

Another case of damned if you do damned if you dont with a largely bipolar fan base....lol

For decades most have been screaming about bringing in wave players to keep starters fresh. Now that we are doing that its a wailing and crying about why whoever isnt on the field all the time

Reading comprehension or good trolling is hard. But try to do better.

1. Scunge complained about James Harrison not playing. That is, he'd like to see Harrison wave in more. This makes sense since when Harrison did play he has been effective.

2. Hargrave is playing less than 50% of the snaps. You can keep a player fresh, and still have him play more than half of the snaps. Right now, when everyone is healthy I think Cam is the third best D linemen, and Cam is damn good. No reason why Cam, Tuitt, and Hargrave each can't play 65-70% of the snaps, with a handful of snaps left over for TA and maybe LW. That would keep our star guys fresh while not minimizing their impact on the field.

3. Willie Gay isn't waving in for Haden, Burns, et al. He is a package player. Scunge wants a different package player. I would prefer Wilcox in that role, or hopefully Sutton.