It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: World Series
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:17 pm 

steel wrote:
bam morris wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Here are the Astros opening day payrolls the last few seasons:

2012 - 60,651,000
2013 - 22,062,600
2014 - 44,544,174
2015 - 70,910,100
2016 - 69,064,200

Over that 5 year stretch the Pirates outspent the Astros by a whopping 100 million bucks.
(I'm shocked by the amount too!)

But now things have taken a big turn. The Astros actually followed thru with real spending increases, unlike the BS from Pirates ownership. This year the Astros opening day payroll was $117 million. And it appears they added another $12 million or so during the season. The Astros saved up a war chest over the last half of a decade. This year they weren't afraid to open it up.

you know how to anger a buc fan with facts sir... :cry: bucs war chest is in nuttings various accounts! where it stays!

Not sure I get your anger

Pro just proved that the Bucs spent $100 MILLION more than the Astros over that time period, and yet everyone here BITCHES AND MOANS.

If the Pirates spent as little as the Astros have over the past 5 years on payroll, this board would go into even a bigger meltdown than it usually does.

What the Astros experience really shows is, payroll isn't the great indicator of how good your team is. Young talent acquisition is key, not your pocketbook.

I partly agree. Talent wins, not money. And quality talent can still be very cheap if you develop it from within. But at some point you need to spend to sustain. And that is where the frustrations come. The pirates refused to spend enough to sustain their success. They’ would add money in the short term but never commit to any term. The Astros by comparison took on some expensive future seasons of Verlander’s contract. And you are damn right I would have a melt down if the Bucs spent as little as the Astros had the last 5 years. That is because I already endured years and years of ultra low payrolls. The Pirates never spent like they alluded they would when their time finally came. Yes, they did spend more on payroll. But so did the rest of the league. It was small incremental spending done in a way that they could pull back from it easily. The Pirates always talk about how they are committed to winning and that they will spend when it makes sense to spend but their actions are always noncommittal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:26 am 

Precisely, Pro.

The 2015 Pirates were capable of winning the World Series. Yeah, they ran into the Arrieta buzz saw but they had the depth on pitching and offense to win it all. THAT was the time the Pirates should have spent the $$ to keep that team together.

Instead it was time for the second five year plan.

Unconscionable.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:18 am 

franco>madden wrote:
Ice wrote:
You Francoshopped that photo? Kudos, if so.

Thanks Ice -- sometimes I bump up the contrast or perhaps mess w/ saturation, but no, it was a real photo on the interwebs from the AFCCG in 2011. (I try to grab pics I like when I see 'em because they're not always permanent -- i.e., when I google this photo now, the only example it finds comes right back to my avatar on SFury :lol: )

I thought it looked similar to the Ben/Bussy post-Super Bowl photo from XL. Very cool it's the real McCoy, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:04 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Precisely, Pro.

The 2015 Pirates were capable of winning the World Series. Yeah, they ran into the Arrieta buzz saw but they had the depth on pitching and offense to win it all. THAT was the time the Pirates should have spent the $$ to keep that team together.

Instead it was time for the second five year plan.

Unconscionable.

If you remember, they replaced A.J. Burnett and J. A. Happ with Jon Niese and Juan Nicasio in the starting rotation to start 2016. Another reclamation project and an unknown to replace two proven pitchers. That really tells you all you need to know about the Pirates' commitment to winning.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:50 pm 

They just flashed a graphic on how successful the Astros were with their first-round draft choices in the early part of this decade. If only the Bucs were half that successful in their bottom dwelling days.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:55 pm 

I guess the Astros feel they can push the envelope with a 5-0 lead sending Liriano out there and then Morton.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:05 am 

I am absolutely ecstatic for Charlie Morton. He deserved it so fucking much.

I used to love getting him on Extra Innings back in the day because he was so nice and always took the time to talk to me personally. I should try texting him and see if he still has the same number.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:18 am 

fortythree wrote:
I am absolutely ecstatic for Charlie Morton. He deserved it so fucking much.

I used to love getting him on Extra Innings back in the day because he was so nice and always took the time to talk to me personally. I should try texting him and see if he still has the same number.

Does charlie take it black or extra cream?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:36 am 

Well, I guess good for Houston and their store-bought last-minute addition Verlander -- still hate them from the old divisional rivalry days, but better them on top than the Fuckin' Cubs, so there's that.

Dodgers manager must've been in a coma to leave Darvish in that long -- he very obviously didn't have anything tonight and after allowing the first couple runs, the crowded-with-talent LA bullpen and Kershaw just sat rotting with no tomorrow while the 'Stros kept piling on. Not sure our Buccos' skipper at his worst would've sat there like Roberts did, with everything on the line. Dodgers failed to move runners the rest of the game, but the damage was already done.

So T-Watson was the Game 6 winner, Morton wins Game 7 and Cisco kid appeared tonight as well. Probably the closest we'll get to seeing anyone associated with the Pirates in the WS this century. :( :evil: :x

(Oh yeah, forgot about Bones Barry Bones choking role for SF in the '02 losing effort vs. Anaheim). Angels were clutch that year --- what a great series.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:02 am 

SteelPro wrote:
steel wrote:

Pro just proved that the Bucs spent $100 MILLION more than the Astros over that time period, and yet everyone here BITCHES AND MOANS.

If the Pirates spent as little as the Astros have over the past 5 years on payroll, this board would go into even a bigger meltdown than it usually does.

What the Astros experience really shows is, payroll isn't the great indicator of how good your team is. Young talent acquisition is key, not your pocketbook.

I partly agree. Talent wins, not money. And quality talent can still be very cheap if you develop it from within. But at some point you need to spend to sustain. And that is where the frustrations come. The pirates refused to spend enough to sustain their success. They’ would add money in the short term but never commit to any term. The Astros by comparison took on some expensive future seasons of Verlander’s contract. And you are damn right I would have a melt down if the Bucs spent as little as the Astros had the last 5 years. That is because I already endured years and years of ultra low payrolls. The Pirates never spent like they alluded they would when their time finally came. Yes, they did spend more on payroll. But so did the rest of the league. It was small incremental spending done in a way that they could pull back from it easily. The Pirates always talk about how they are committed to winning and that they will spend when it makes sense to spend but their actions are always noncommittal.

I just don't think the Pirates ever had that core of players that the Astros have assembled the past few years, which then justified their splurge on Verlander and a few other FAs to help them over the hump.

They have springer, altuve, correa -- the list is long.

We had..... Mccutcheon --

Astros built something special with incredible drafting -- our best team a couple years ago really wasn't close -- we were good, but not Astros good

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next