It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tuit, Gilbert and Bryant
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:30 pm 

Quote:
One of the best things about the Pittsburgh Steelers’ bye week was it gave several injured starters a chance to get healthy so they could get back on the field. Steelers beat writer Joe Rutter reported that defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt and offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert are both back at practice.

Joe Rutter @tribjoerutter
Marcus Gilbert and Stephon Tuitt also were back at practice for Steelers as they return from bye week.
1:22 PM - Nov 6, 2017
Replies 6 6 Retweets 19 19 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Tuitt missed the last two games with his back injury and has been out for four of the team’s eight games this season. Gilbert’s hamstring has cost him five starts and part of two more games. The team has done well in the interim, but it will be great to have both of them back.

Pittsburgh is preparing to take on the Colts on Sunday. With a win, it would push its record to 7-2 and mark its fourth win in a row and fifth win in the past six games.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/06/steelers-get-two-injured-starters-back-at-practice-on-monday/

Quote:
Martavis Bryant back with the first team at practice on Monday
SHARES
TWEET
EMAIL
By: Curt Popejoy | 4 hours ago

The Pittsburgh Steelers began their week or prep for the Indianapolis Colts on Monday. And one familiar face back in a familiar place as wide receiver Martavis Bryant. According to Steelers beat writer Joe Rutter, Bryant was working out with the first team on Monday and expects to play.

Joe Rutter @tribjoerutter
WR Martavis Bryant was back working with first team and said he anticipates playing Sunday vs. Colts
1:21 PM - Nov 6, 2017
Replies 11 11 Retweets 18 18 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Bryant got benched back in Week eight and missed the team’s game against the Detroit Lions. This was punishment for his multiple social media outbursts about wishing to be traded before the October 31 deadline.

That day and come and gone and hopefully Bryant is ready to focus on being the best for this team. In his absence, rookie JuJu Smith-Schuster had a huge game. Bryant stood on the sidelines while Smith-Schuster went off for 193 receiving yards including the longest pass play in franchise history.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/06/martavis-bryant-back-with-the-first-team-at-practice-on-monday/

Post subject: Re: Tuit, Gilbert and Bryant
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:37 pm 

Bye week needs some new threads.

With Tuit rejoining Cam and Hargrave, the defensive line will head into the second half at full strength.
Knowing the capabilities of Tyson Aluala and the strides that LT Walton has taken, there is no need for Cam and Tuit to be on the field more than 75-80% of the snaps.

We have seen in years past, that these two have been on the field close to 90% of the snaps if not more.
We have also seen alot of 2 defensive linemen sets, so hoping this can keep them fresh as well.

Aluala should still see 20-25 snaps a game.
Lt Walton 6-10.

Be nice to see Hargrave snap count go up. He is not strictly a run down defender.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:47 pm 

As far as Bryant.

Yes, they have gone 6-2 with very little production from this guy.

But, he is the key in making this offense turn a squandering 13-6 halftime lead into a 20-6 or 24-6 lead.

We have had too many dominant and momentum controlling first halves in which the actual score is no where indicative of how we played.
Way too many point left on the board settling for FG's over TD's

Can't let teams hang around, sticking their chins out and begging to be knocked to the canvas.

We should be throwing this kid the ball inside the endzone.
We have done so in the past.
Corner fade.
Jump ball.
Back of the endzone, high or incomplete out of bounds.

He is one of the endzone mismatches we have not taken advantage of.

Can't recall any passes thrown to him in the endzone?
Anyone?

But can recall him coming off the field in passing situations for guys like Rogers and DHB inside the 10 yard line = Dumb!

Stop playing to get closer to the endzone and start planning to get into the endzone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:48 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
As far as Bryant.

Yes, they have gone 6-2 with very little production from this guy.

But, he is the key in making this offense turn a squandering 13-6 halftime lead into a 20-6 or 24-6 lead.

Roethlisberger is a bigger key, IMHO.

He's still leaving waaaaay too many plays on the field, no matter who his WR's are.

Love Ben. Top 5 favorite Steelers of all time. He isn't right this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:30 pm 

Yeah as it is called age catching up with him. Just like his Giants counterpart, Eli Manning. But still he will be a top Steeler in the top five no matter what.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:56 pm 

I expect to flat out annihilate Indianapolis this coming weekend. A victory of 45-13 sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
I expect to flat out annihilate Indianapolis this coming weekend. A victory of 45-13 sounds good to me.

I hope you are right. I expect sloppy play out of their by week. The spread is 10. Steelers do not cover.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:

Based on the inconsistencies of this team, I suggest tempering those expectations.

I think it wil be a close game. Toss up, at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:16 pm 

stealin wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:

I hope you are right. I expect sloppy play out of their by week. The spread is 10. Steelers do not cover.

I agree. Close game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:30 pm 

I think they need to be smarter with how they use Bryant. It isn't a matter of him losing his job to JuJu or lining up as the official #2 WR outside. Depending on how the defenses line up, on down and distance, matchups, you want to move Bryant and JuJu and never just line them up predictably.

I remember many big plays from 2015 where Markus Wheaton would line up outside and they moved Bryant around in the slot. No reason to have Brown and Bryant predictably line up, to have things set in stone, making it easier on the defense. Put Brown in the slot at times too. I have seen teams take their athletic TE and flex him out and have him line up at WR, we did that some with Green last season in his 6 game stretch. No reason why we can't do that with Vance McDonald and have Brown line up in the slot.

I just see Haley and the powers that be not using Brown to open things up for other plays/players. Use the coverage that he attracts and use it to scheme players open. The bunch formations that we used to employ are great to scheme players open, to get easy yards, yet we seem to have gone away from it.

But back to Bryant in the slot, no reason they should not be moving him around and trying to force the defense's hand. It is just too easy to defend that vertical deep threat if he is stuck on the outside and the CB gets help with both the sideline, the limited real estate, and safety help.

No reason why JuJu and Bryant can't both get 65-70% of the offensive snaps.

One thing I am pissed about today was hearing (reading) a quote from defensive line coach John Mitchell on Hargrave. He was lamenting how they would love to find him more playing time but can't justify taking Heyward or Tuitt off the field, etc.

That just makes me so angry. If your scheme is so fucked up that it is preventing great players from seeing the field, then the obvious answer is to change the scheme! We have an embarrassment of riches at defensive line right now, Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave and Alualu and LT Walton and we play a defense where we ultimately end up playing a 2-4-5, primarily using just two of those defensive linemen. Hargrave is this incredible player who is strong as a pass rusher and against the run and he plays 46% of the time. That is nuts.

For me I get that they have to remove somebody from the field when Mike Hilton comes on, but why does it have to be Hargrave? Vince Williams has had a nice season thus far but he is playing 73% of the snaps, I get that he hasn't been exploited that much in coverage but he will be by the better offenses. I don't get what he gives you over Hargrave. To me I take Vince Williams off the field and leave Hargrave on the field. That interior pass rush is more important, that presence that Hargrave has in the middle, the double teams that he attracts can open things up for others. I fail to see how a 3-3-5 with Heyward, Hargrave and Tuitt is not more important than having Vince Williams on the field.

I don't really understand why they aren't using TJ Watt more in Vince Williams inside spot either. Want to get Harrison on the field? You move Watt inside next to Shazier and Harrison can line up in his old ROLB. Then you can do some interesting things with Watt inside. I remember Chad Brown back in the day, Watt reminds me of Brown in being very smart, technical and athletic, Brown played inside before moving outside. With Watt being inside you can blitz him from there, have him drop in coverage, an inside duo of Watt and Shazier in coverage is very enticing. Also you can have Watt move inside and line up on Harrison or Dupree and you could do some stunts and whatnot. Why be content with only having 2 of those 3 OLBs on the field when you can get them all on the field?

To me Vince Williams is preventing Hargrave and Harrison from seeing more time on the field and it is because the Steelers are being afraid to be bold and experiment with the players that they have. Williams seeing 73% of the snaps and Willie Gay seeing 30% of the snaps is not a good trend, those numbers have to go down, they are on the field way too much.