It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Goofdell
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:30 am 

Good post Chicago. You have a way with words. "If they could fleece an orphan, they would" cracked me up.

Last edited by Steelergenie on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:17 am 

Steelergenie wrote:
Jerry Jones is threatening to sue NFL owners including Art over a five year extension for Goofdell. Jones wants him out. Sour grapes over Elliott? Go Jer.

What sour grapes?

The dude still hasn't sat out a fucking game.

Not sure what sport is more of a mess right now - NFL or College Basketball

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:19 am 

If this were the long snapper for the Cowboys no one would care. Not the NFLPA nor Jones He was quite happy to throw Kraft under the bus when Brady got suspended. Now he is throwing his temper tantrum about his player. The other Owners, who pressured Goodell to step on Brady will do the same for Elliot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 am 

ChicagoSteel wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Goodell's salaries are obscene - he averages like $30M a year. That's more than most F500 CEO's, who have MUCH larger companies and revenues, and most of the NFL money comes from a handful of tv contracts.

Granted, that's nothing to the owners and the NFL is privately "owned", but I think you could get a lot better for 1/3 the price.

His salary is not obscene. The NFL's TV current contract for 2014-2022 is $39.6 billion dollars.

That's about $155 million per year per team JUST from television rights.

Factor in the additional money the NFL makes from merchandise, stadium revenues, co-branding, weasling out of CTE lawsuits and god knows what else....and considering as a private corporation the NFL has no stockholder overhead....and suddenly $30 million becomes chump change for a puppet CEO.

The fat cats have been otherwise pleased with Goodell. If they weren't, he'd already be gone. To them, $30 million IS cheap. Cutting Roger's salary by $20 million translates to only $625,000 in savings annually per team. Shit...they make more in nacho sales alone.

I never understood these arguments against Goodell. Most owners aren't the nicest men in the world...if they could fleece an orphan, they would. They pay Goodell what they think is reasonable. No one can twist their arm. There is no one to attack or defend. Their world is beyond our reckoning.

For all of Goodell's failings, I still can't side with that whiny douchebag Jerrah or anyone or anything related to the Cowgirls. Old hatreds must remain cultivated...

Compliments on a post of truly enlightened perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:28 pm 

My problem with Goodell isn’t what he makes.

My problem is how inconsistent his punishments are and the lack of due process.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:46 pm 

ChicagoSteel wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Goodell's salaries are obscene - he averages like $30M a year. That's more than most F500 CEO's, who have MUCH larger companies and revenues, and most of the NFL money comes from a handful of tv contracts.

Granted, that's nothing to the owners and the NFL is privately "owned", but I think you could get a lot better for 1/3 the price.

His salary is not obscene. The NFL's TV current contract for 2014-2022 is $39.6 billion dollars.

Factor in the additional money the NFL makes from merchandise, stadium revenues, co-branding, weasling out of CTE lawsuits and god knows what else....and considering as a private corporation the NFL has no stockholder overhead....and suddenly $30 million becomes chump change for a puppet CEO.

The fat cats have been otherwise pleased with Goodell. If they weren't, he'd already be gone. To them, $30 million IS cheap. Cutting Roger's salary by $20 million translates to only $625,000 in savings annually per team. Shit...they make more in nacho sales alone.

I never understood these arguments against Goodell. Most owners aren't the nicest men in the world...if they could fleece an orphan, they would. They pay Goodell what they think is reasonable. No one can twist their arm. There is no one to attack or defend. Their world is beyond our reckoning.

For all of Goodell's failings, I still can't side with that whiny douchebag Jerrah or anyone or anything related to the Cowgirls. Old hatreds must remain cultivated...

Outstanding post

Goodell isn't a bad guy, I think anyone of us would be happy to do the same job for $30M. He's got 30 shareholders to answer to and for the most part he's pleased all of them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 pm 

OK, hang on. Fuck Jerry Jones, and fuck most of these owners.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21342623/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-threatens-sue-nfl-roger-goodell
Quote:
Through this season, Jones has expressed growing dissatisfaction with Goodell's job performance and has said in recent weeks that the league needs to hire a new commissioner, sources said. The reasons include Goodell's handling of the player protests staged during the national anthem; the league's pending six-game suspension of Cowboys star running back Ezekiel Elliott for violation of the league's personal conduct policy; and the league's handling of the relocation of two teams to Los Angeles, which Jones helped engineer.

Many owners are also angry with Goodell because they believe that he has given Jones too much power

So Jones is pissed about the LA relocations.....even though he was a driving force behind these moves

Jones was perfectly fine with granting Goodell unchecked disciplinary power back in 2011 - only now that it's bit him in the ass he's pissed?

I am in no way a fan of Roger Goodell, but Jerruh has his fingerprints all over these problems he wants to file a lawsuit over.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:57 pm 

Pabst wrote:
OK, hang on. Fuck Jerry Jones, and fuck most of these owners.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21342623/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-threatens-sue-nfl-roger-goodell
Quote:
Through this season, Jones has expressed growing dissatisfaction with Goodell's job performance and has said in recent weeks that the league needs to hire a new commissioner, sources said. The reasons include Goodell's handling of the player protests staged during the national anthem; the league's pending six-game suspension of Cowboys star running back Ezekiel Elliott for violation of the league's personal conduct policy; and the league's handling of the relocation of two teams to Los Angeles, which Jones helped engineer.

Many owners are also angry with Goodell because they believe that he has given Jones too much power

So Jones is pissed about the LA relocations.....even though he was a driving force behind these moves

Jones was perfectly fine with granting Goodell unchecked disciplinary power back in 2011 - only now that it's bit him in the ass he's pissed?

I am in no way a fan of Roger Goodell, but Jerruh has his fingerprints all over these problems he wants to file a lawsuit over.

This is where I am - definitely not a fan of Goodell but he is simply the "Bad Cop" face of the NFL and for that he gets paid handsomely. Jones though is a duplicitous Jagoff who acts like a spoiled elementary schooler. When things go his way he is fine and votes to have the compensation committee extend Roger's contract but suspend one of his top weapons and suddenly he wants the Commissioner removed. :roll:

Here's another good article discussing how things got to this point.......and it shows Jones for what he really is

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/08/jerry ... 17110912PM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:06 pm 

ChicagoSteel wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

I work in the deal space. I routinely see complex deals in the 20billion dollar or more range. The revenue numbers you are talking about might seem high—they just aren’t. Goodell is getting comp neared like Tim Cook but the NFL is a fraction the size of Apple and a helluva lot less complex. They really should hire a better commissioner.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:26 pm 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... owner-says

Quote:
Marc Ganis, a regular consultant to the National Football League’s 32 team owners, says the embattled Roger Goodell isn’t going anywhere.

Sometimes dubbed the NFL’s 33rd owner because of his ties to the sport’s power brokers, Ganis says Goodell’s job is safe, even as Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones tries block the approval of the commissioner’s contract extension.

“He is the best person to manage and run the National Football League ... going into the collective bargaining agreement and the new TV contract negotiations. Period. Full stop,” Ganis said on the Bloomberg Business of Sports podcast. “The owners know how much value he has brought to them and to the league. He is going nowhere.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next