It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6734
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/1 ... me-for-us/

Confidence can be a dangerous thing. On paper, the Pittsburgh Steelers look to outmatch the Indianapolis Colts in almost every phase of the game. But there’s no faster way to lose a game you should win than through complacency.

But at least one member of the Steelers recognizes this. Offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert understands just how tenuous Pittsburgh’s place is in the AFC and that any team can lose to any other team.

“There will be a lot of noise out there, people expecting us to win,” Gilbert said. We can’t hear all that noise. We have to execute the game plan and not shoot ourselves in the foot. That’s been our issue this year — not playing up to the level in games we’re supposed to win. This is a really good team, but we can’t go out there and lay an egg.”

Gilbert recognizes this season there have been problems with the Steelers playing down to competition but this isn’t new. This team has been losing games it should win, especially on the road for all of head coach Mike Tomlin’s tenure. They have also failed to win after the bye week in three straight seasons. Let’s hope they can put all that negative history behind them and win this weekend.


Because Tomlin

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9664
Because Tomlin in this case, Barry, likely means every damn player on the roster has had it drilled into his head by Tomlin that the Colts are still an NFL team and that every last player must execute.

So yeah, Gilbert likely saying these things because Tomlin.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6734
Still Lit wrote:
Because Tomlin in this case, Barry, likely means every damn player on the roster has had it drilled into his head by Tomlin that the Colts are still an NFL team and that every last player must execute.

So yeah, Gilbert likely saying these things because Tomlin.


Your interpretation of my intended meaning is incorrect

Proof is in the pudding

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9664
BarryFoster wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Because Tomlin in this case, Barry, likely means every damn player on the roster has had it drilled into his head by Tomlin that the Colts are still an NFL team and that every last player must execute.

So yeah, Gilbert likely saying these things because Tomlin.


Your interpretation of my intended meaning is incorrect

Proof is in the pudding


I've been conditioned by the board. :(

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4060
Gonna file this one in the No Shit cabinet

_________________
"Antonio Brown doesn't need to respond to anything," Tomlin said. "He walks into stadiums and he's Antonio Brown and he made Antonio Brown plays."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6734
StillerInCT wrote:
Gonna file this one in the No Shit cabinet


Lot of trap game losses in that cabinet

If you will

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4060
BarryFoster wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Gonna file this one in the No Shit cabinet


Lot of trap game losses in that cabinet

If you will


@ Indy too. I think the only thing we have going for us is Tomlin's record after bye weeks is pretty good if I'm not mistaken.

_________________
"Antonio Brown doesn't need to respond to anything," Tomlin said. "He walks into stadiums and he's Antonio Brown and he made Antonio Brown plays."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 pm
Posts: 1089
StillerInCT wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Gonna file this one in the No Shit cabinet


Lot of trap game losses in that cabinet

If you will


@ Indy too. I think the only thing we have going for us is Tomlin's record after bye weeks is pretty good if I'm not mistaken.


Nope, Barry stated they have failed to win coming off the bye week in 3 straight seasons, so confidence isn't running high on this one. Let's recap - losses in 3 straight after the bye week, ill-prepared to take on a team at the bottom that we should literally curb stomp, on the road, playing against a meh QB with a decimated D. Yep, sounds ripe for a loss to me. I did, however, pick the Steelers to win in the score game, but I slept at a Holiday Inn that night! We'll see in two days if Tomlin and Co. can overcome their glaring incompetencies and go out to take control of the AFC or if they play not to lose, looking past another team that also has professional athletes on it (which they then normally do).


Last edited by alancac98 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9664
Even if the Steelers do play not to lose, they should still win. The talent discrepancy is ridiculous. Tack on the injury reports from the respective teams and it is even more ridiculous. There is no excuse for losing even if they play conservative, "don't lose" football.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16267
BarryFoster wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Because Tomlin in this case, Barry, likely means every damn player on the roster has had it drilled into his head by Tomlin that the Colts are still an NFL team and that every last player must execute.

So yeah, Gilbert likely saying these things because Tomlin.


Your interpretation of my intended meaning is incorrect

Proof is in the pudding

49-40. .551

Or IOW better than Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers or Sean Payton/Drew Brees.

I'm not even sure Noll and Bradshaw were better than that.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:03 am
Posts: 1368
Would be nice to be up 31-3 going into 4th and pull everyone to get ready for Thursday

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8883
We still lost to the Bears with Glennon throwing under 100 and the Jags with Bortles at home throwing under 100. And that one was an ass kicking.

I don’t care if the Jags are “good” (which they aren’t), those are two bad losses to two teams. So no, this shouldn’t be designated a trap game. The 2017 Steelers are a jumbled hodgepodge of can beat anyone and can lose to anyone. The coach and the players need to get that through their heads.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2406
alancac98 wrote:
Nope, Barry stated they have failed to win coming off the bye week in 3 straight seasons, so confidence isn't running high on this one. Let's recap - losses in 3 straight after the bye week, ill-prepared to take on a team at the bottom that we should literally curb stomp, on the road, playing against a meh QB with a decimated D. Yep, sounds ripe for a loss to me. I did, however, pick the Steelers to win in the score game, but I slept at a Holiday Inn that night! We'll see in two days if Tomlin and Co. can overcome their glaring competencies and go out to take control of the AFC or if they play not to lose, looking past another team that also has professional athletes on it (which they then normally do).


They were undefeated under Tomlin after the bye week prior to those last three games, I believe.

So your interpretation is wrong.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13509
Gibert just putting everyone On Notice IMO. I expect this game to be a win with decidedly good numbers. :geek: 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm
Posts: 2406
Orangesteel wrote:
We still lost to the Bears with Glennon throwing under 100 and the Jags with Bortles at home throwing under 100. And that one was an ass kicking.

I don’t care if the Jags are “good” (which they aren’t), those are two bad losses to two teams. So no, this shouldn’t be designated a trap game. The 2017 Steelers are a jumbled hodgepodge of can beat anyone and can lose to anyone. The coach and the players need to get that through their heads.


Jax is the 4th best team in the NFL by DVOA. So yes...they are good.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16267
fortythree wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
We still lost to the Bears with Glennon throwing under 100 and the Jags with Bortles at home throwing under 100. And that one was an ass kicking.

I don’t care if the Jags are “good” (which they aren’t), those are two bad losses to two teams. So no, this shouldn’t be designated a trap game. The 2017 Steelers are a jumbled hodgepodge of can beat anyone and can lose to anyone. The coach and the players need to get that through their heads.


Jax is the 4th best team in the NFL by DVOA. So yes...they are good.

As I said on the podcast: Jax pass defense is twice as good as the next best pass D, and almost 4 times as effective as the Steelers pass D, adjusted for opponent and viewed on a play by play basis.

In fact, going back to 1986, '17 Jax has the 3rd best pass D in all that time, only trailing the '96 Eagles and the incredible 2002 Tampa Bay D. '17 Jax is on pace to be better than peak Denver's no-fly zone, peak Steelers '08, peak NE, peak NYG w Lawrence Taylor, peak Rod Woodson/Greg Lloyd Steelers, peak NYJ w Revis Island.

If you don't think that's good, I don't know what to tell you.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:17 pm
Posts: 1123
The loss to the Bears and Jags point to the similarities of all our trap losses going back to 2004.

Ben throws more than one Int
Special teams gaff
Turnover in the scoring zone (usually Ben)
Missed FG
Opposing Offense can run the ball effectively

Raiders game in Oakland, Dallas game in Dallas, both Baltimore games a couple years ago, it goes on and on. Colts are a beaten horse right now and if this team jumps on them early and avoids most of the above then hopefully we will see some backups by the fourth. If this defense can get this young QB off his safe throws it can put up a few scores of their own and make this a scrimmage game for the backups by the middle of the third

_________________
No matter what anyone says, no matter the excuse or explanation, whatever a person does, in the end, is what he intended to do all along- Cus D'Amato


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:54 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:12 pm
Posts: 481
BarryFoster wrote:
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/10/marcus-gilbert-calls-this-weeks-game-with-the-colts-a-trap-game-for-us/

... This team has been losing games it should win, especially on the road for all of head coach Mike Tomlin’s tenure. ...

Regular season numbers starting in 2008 (Harbaugh's first year):

Tomlin: 54 - 21, Harbaugh: 56 - 20

Tomlin on road: 45 - 32, Harbaugh on road: 34 - 43

In other words, Mentally Lazy Tomlin has been winning over a game more a year on the road than the Great White Harbaugh since 2008. Why that kind of performance could cost you a bye! Please note that Baltimore has been slightly better than us at home, so this is all about losing games you should win on the road.

Tomlin on road as favorite: 30 - 17, .638
Harbaugh on road as favorite: 18 - 14, .563

Tomlin is favored on the road 50% more than Harbaugh, as he should be because Tomlin also has a substantially better winning percentage on the road as a favorite.

Whoever Curt Popejoy is, he's full of shit.

_________________
"All for ourselves and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind." - Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:55 pm
Posts: 679
Steel Drummer wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/10/marcus-gilbert-calls-this-weeks-game-with-the-colts-a-trap-game-for-us/

... This team has been losing games it should win, especially on the road for all of head coach Mike Tomlin’s tenure. ...

Regular season numbers starting in 2008 (Harbaugh's first year):

Tomlin: 54 - 21, Harbaugh: 56 - 20

Tomlin on road: 45 - 32, Harbaugh on road: 34 - 43

In other words, Mentally Lazy Tomlin has been winning over a game more a year on the road than the Great White Harbaugh since 2008. Why that kind of performance could cost you a bye! Please note that Baltimore has been slightly better than us at home, so this is all about losing games you should win on the road.

Tomlin on road as favorite: 30 - 17, .638
Harbaugh on road as favorite: 18 - 14, .563

Tomlin is favored on the road 50% more than Harbaugh, as he should be because Tomlin also has a substantially better winning percentage on the road as a favorite.

Whoever Curt Popejoy is, he's full of shit.

Don’t you know we don’t like facts on this board that don’t fit our preconceived narratives…….. good grief man, get with the program and start bashing our coach, coordinators, front office, QB, skill players, offense, defense and everyone else associated with the team…..that’s how you can fit in here :lol:

Seriously though, the problem is that we view these losses in a vacuum since our main focus is on the Steelers. In truth every team has bad losses and most have more of them than the Steelers do. Love him or hate him, Tomlin’s record is better than most of his peers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5490
What is Tomlins record as a favorite on the road in say, the last 4 years?


Because even though it seems like it, they haven't been laying eggs on the road against bad teams for all that long. Just the last few years.


2017 @Chicago

2016 @Philly @Miami

2015 @KC

2014 @ Cleveland @Jets

2013 @Cincy @Minnesota @ Oakland

2012 @Oak @Tenn @Cleveland @Dallas

2011 @Houston @San Fran


2012 through 2014 had some bad bad road losses. That's where it all started

losing to both cleveland and Oakland on the road twice in 3 years was bad. They were damn near the two worst teams in the league at that time.

_________________
Image


Last edited by R S on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13509
It's interesting how this discussion has spread onto other sites. For example BTSC did some fact checks and came up with some numbers. Some pretty good analysis. BTSC goes on to create a full chart table and explain just how impressive Tomlin led Steelers actually have been/are.

Quote:
Consider: in the first half of seasons (games No. 1 through No. 8 each year), including 2017, the Steelers are 56-32 in 88 games under Tomlin. In the second half of seasons (games No. 9 through No. 16), the Steelers are 53-27 in 80 games. Those are good for winning percentages of .636 and .663, respectively.
Quote:
Tomlin’s second-half record against the eight teams left on the schedule is 24-15 (.615). This includes overall losing records to the Ravens (4-5) and Patriots (1-3), leaving him 19-7 (.731) against the other six opponents. While Tomlin takes a lot of flak from fans and the media for some losses that left almost everyone speechless, it’s hard to argue with the overall result: he wins a lot, and his teams get better as the season wears on.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/p ... itself-nfl

Note: We used to have analysis like this in here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6734
Needing a win on the road against a bad Ravens team to make the playoffs, led by Ryan Mallet we.......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F0AeAHPi1GI

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Last edited by BarryFoster on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:33 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:12 pm
Posts: 481
R S wrote:
What is Tomlins record as a favorite on the road in say, the last 4 years?


Because even though it seems like it, they haven't been laying eggs on the road against bad teams for all that long. Just the last few years.

Since 2014, 12 - 6.

Just for comparison, Harbaugh is 5 - 6.

If we checked New England, of course, we would get ridiculously better numbers than Pittsburgh (or anyone else).

_________________
"All for ourselves and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind." - Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5490
Steel Drummer wrote:
R S wrote:
What is Tomlins record as a favorite on the road in say, the last 4 years?


Because even though it seems like it, they haven't been laying eggs on the road against bad teams for all that long. Just the last few years.

Since 2014, 12 - 6.

Just for comparison, Harbaugh is 5 - 6.

If we checked New England, of course, we would get ridiculously better numbers than Pittsburgh (or anyone else).


Losing to Cleveland and Oak on the road twice in a 3 year span was what started it all

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6734
R S wrote:
Steel Drummer wrote:
R S wrote:
What is Tomlins record as a favorite on the road in say, the last 4 years?


Because even though it seems like it, they haven't been laying eggs on the road against bad teams for all that long. Just the last few years.

Since 2014, 12 - 6.

Just for comparison, Harbaugh is 5 - 6.

If we checked New England, of course, we would get ridiculously better numbers than Pittsburgh (or anyone else).


Losing to Cleveland and Oak on the road twice in a 3 year span was what started it all


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=15BjNDW5b0s

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:41 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:12 pm
Posts: 481
R S wrote:
Steel Drummer wrote:
R S wrote:
What is Tomlins record as a favorite on the road in say, the last 4 years?


Because even though it seems like it, they haven't been laying eggs on the road against bad teams for all that long. Just the last few years.

Since 2014, 12 - 6.

Just for comparison, Harbaugh is 5 - 6.

If we checked New England, of course, we would get ridiculously better numbers than Pittsburgh (or anyone else).


Losing to Cleveland and Oak on the road twice in a 3 year span was what started it all

When was that?

_________________
"All for ourselves and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind." - Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13509
Looking at some Sunday games I can't help but root for SBI. Of course Pit over Ind.

DEN>NE
CIN>TEN


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8883
I listened to the podcast (which was good) and yes, their defense is legit, but a 30-9 drubbing with bortles throwing under a 100 yards is bad. I get that those picks weren’t all on Ben and if anything that shows shit tends to happen to this team in bunches.

They have lost to bad teams in recent history. I’m thrilled at 6-2. Let’s not think because the Steelers have been anointed the “team to beat in the AFC” (by the way, was anyone saying that after Jax?) that they can’t lose to anyone one. I’m certain that they can.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16267
Steelafan77 wrote:
Looking at some Sunday games I can't help but root for SBI. Of course Pit over Ind.

DEN>NE
CIN>TEN

You might want to add LA Chargers over Jacksonville-- Jacksonville needs to finish below us and below KC/NE.

Orange-- Just a bad matchup for us. We were struggling at that time with run fits and Bell's fitness. Got behind and they made some plays.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13509
Yep, forgot that game, lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4166
In a short 16 game season where but one loss can mean road vs home or not even getting an invite to the dance it amazes me how coaches and players don’t take all of them serious.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6734
955876 wrote:
In a short 16 game season where but one loss can mean road vs home or not even getting an invite to the dance it amazes me how coaches and players don’t take all of them serious.


You mean like we control the 1 seed currently and a slip up against a shit team like the Colts could mean the difference between going to NE and getting embarrassed vs playing at home with a good chance?

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6314
BarryFoster wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=15BjNDW5b0s
Whoa, dude. Too much optimism will break the bank.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6734
COR-TEN wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=15BjNDW5b0s
Whoa, dude. Too much optimism will break the bank.


Ok that made me laugh

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
I'll take any W....I'll bitch about slop 'n slather, but I'll take it.

It's not a small challenge to have 2 games in 5 days after a bye - we'll see just how focused on home field the players and coaches really are.

Why the NFL doesn't try to schedule Thursday games after a bye is beyond me. MNF - bye - Thurs - Sun.....that's 10 days and 9.5 days between a couple games, which seems pretty nice. Although 14 days and 9.5 days is pretty nice, too, but still sandwiched around 2 games in 5 days.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 pm
Posts: 1089
fortythree wrote:
alancac98 wrote:
Nope, Barry stated they have failed to win coming off the bye week in 3 straight seasons, so confidence isn't running high on this one. Let's recap - losses in 3 straight after the bye week, ill-prepared to take on a team at the bottom that we should literally curb stomp, on the road, playing against a meh QB with a decimated D. Yep, sounds ripe for a loss to me. I did, however, pick the Steelers to win in the score game, but I slept at a Holiday Inn that night! We'll see in two days if Tomlin and Co. can overcome their glaring incompetencies and go out to take control of the AFC or if they play not to lose, looking past another team that also has professional athletes on it (which they then normally do).


They were undefeated under Tomlin after the bye week prior to those last three games, I believe.

So your interpretation is wrong.


Okay, I can accept that they are 50-50 in the last 6 games ( I don't look it up, but I'll trust you and Barry). However, the interpretation is not completely wrong as one tends to lean more toward the "what have you done lately" philosophy as the more recent more often than not becomes the precedent. If he was undefeated coming off the bye for 15 years, but then the last 5 years he lost each time - more weight is placed on the last 5 years as a better indication of what to expect, even though he would be 15-5 (which looks damn good but becomes a fallacy). Logically speaking, the 3 most current losses out weigh the 3 previous wins, speaking of myself of course. How others would interpret the numbers would be up to them, but losing the last three games coming off the bye doesn't exactly inspire a solid level of confidence!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7595
955876 wrote:
In a short 16 game season where but one loss can mean road vs home or not even getting an invite to the dance it amazes me how coaches and players don’t take all of them serious.

I'm sure they do, but it's a long season, and I'm sure it's a grind and probably very difficult to stay "up" for each and every game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7595
Gentlemen,

We have a different team this year. Take a look at the Steelers' roster for the games they lost against bad teams in previous years, and look at their roster now. See any differences? Yes, we lost to the Bears and Jags this year. It was early in the year, and we had a lot of new pieces to put together. While this is the NFL, and on any given Sunday anyone can beat anyone, blah blah blah, and we could lose to the Colts, there is seriously no reason to fear this game more than any other.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4251
Still Lit wrote:

I've been conditioned by the board. :(


About time.

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4251
Poltargyst wrote:
Gentlemen,

We have a different team this year. Take a look at the Steelers' roster for the games they lost against bad teams in previous years, and look at their roster now. See any differences? Yes, we lost to the Bears and Jags this year. It was early in the year, and we had a lot of new pieces to put together. While this is the NFL, and on any given Sunday anyone can beat anyone, blah blah blah, and we could lose to the Colts, there is seriously no reason to fear this game more than any other.


Slop and slather. 16-13. Avatar bet?

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7595
Obviously wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
Gentlemen,

We have a different team this year. Take a look at the Steelers' roster for the games they lost against bad teams in previous years, and look at their roster now. See any differences? Yes, we lost to the Bears and Jags this year. It was early in the year, and we had a lot of new pieces to put together. While this is the NFL, and on any given Sunday anyone can beat anyone, blah blah blah, and we could lose to the Colts, there is seriously no reason to fear this game more than any other.


Slop and slather. 16-13. Avatar bet?

I was discussing whether they would win the game, not how aesthetically appealing it would be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gilbert declares Colts a "trap game"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5490
Steel Drummer wrote:

When was that?[/quote]



2012 - 2014

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], blu, fractalsteel, Google [Bot], jebrick, jewelsongs, Steel Drummer, SteelKnife, Tundralag and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group