It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mitchell has injured achilles
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:45 pm 

Still limited today. Not going to make it. Brian Allen CB to dress.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:34 pm 

ChicagoSteel wrote:
My problem with Mitchell is that we aren't getting our money's worth. I saw online that his cap hit this year is over $8 million bucks per season. We are on the hook for the about the same next season. Can anyone confirm?

If so, wtf... :evil:

It is misleading what his cap hit is because the team restructured his contract to free up money so that they could sign other players. This is the way the Steelers do business and they do this with their core players.

Mitchell signed a 5 year $25 million contract. It came with just a $4.75 million signing bonus. He did have two roster bonuses, a $500,000 in 2014 and a $2 million in 2015.

In 2015, they took that roster bonus, and a good bit of his salary that year and they restructured it, turning it into a signing bonus. That meant that they freed up some $3.25 million which they used to sign other players.

The next season in 2016, Mitchell was to make $5 million in base but they restructured his contract and paid out $4.15 million to him in the form of a signing bonus and it reduced his base salary to $885,000. This freed up money so that they were able to get David DeCastro's deal done.

Omar Khan and the Steelers usually have low base salaries for their players upfront and then at the backend the base salary increases significantly. Where it gets kind of crazy is that those last couple years can be artificially high because of those restructures.

Yes, Mitchell is scheduled to make just $5 million in base salary for 2017 and 2018 but the pro rated portion of his original signing bonus, $950,000 and the pro rated portion of his restructured bonus, $2.2 million push his cap hit to $8.1 million. It is no different than what they have done with Lawrence Timmons, or Marcus Gilbert, or Cam Heyward, when they need money they go to their core players and restructure and they create and structure the contracts accordingly when they sign those players to begin with.

Don't hate Mike Mitchell, don't hate the player, hate the game, hate Omar Khan and the Steelers for doing their contract this way. Me? I have no problem with it, it works, we keep a lot of star players, we are in contention, a playoff caliber team, it obviously is working.

That being said, I cut Mitchell next season. They are to pay him $5 million in base next year and so that would save $5 million, they would still be on the hook for some $3 million because of the last pro rated portions of his signing bonus and restructured bonuses. His body is breaking down, can't stay healthy. He wasn't able to play much in the preseason because of injury and now he is going to miss time with this achilles. Seems like it always something with him, shoulder, groin, etc. Time to move on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 pm 

Scunge wrote:
That being said, I cut Mitchell next season. They are to pay him $5 million in base next year and so that would save $5 million, they would still be on the hook for some $3 million because of the last pro rated portions of his signing bonus and restructured bonuses.

I can't see how they'd be able to pay Haden, Bell AND Mitchell.

Mitchell is done. They'll probably try to shop him for an R6 or R7, but I'm pretty sure teams will just wait for him to be cut.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:44 am 

I remember tweaking my Achilles. Was in the outfield for slow pitch corporate softball, thinking to myself I just tweaked my Achilles and I wonder if I should worry about.......5 minutes later I swung for the fences and smashed one right down the first base line, just short of passing the pitcher’s mound but fair. Three to five sprint steps towards first base I was facing homeplate somehow with a completely ruptured Achilles. Drove myself to urgent care and one sizable scar and 4 years later all is back to 90% normal.

This is what would be going through my mind if I was Mitchell.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am 

Steelergenie wrote:

Good. I want Allen with as much PT as he can get. I know it may be just ST's too. I think Allen and Sutton should both dress and play Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 am 

I agree with you 77. Let these guys get the experience of being starters. They should be better than what we have.

Steelafan77 wrote:
Steelergenie wrote:

Good. I want Allen with as much PT as he can get. I know it may be just ST's too. I think Allen and Sutton should both dress and play Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:34 pm 

Another thing genie if I'm Tombert I look at safety in the first and second day(s) of the draft for Mitchell's replacement. I don't believe right now Wilcox/Hagen/Gay and especially Golden are answers going forward. Blanding, Allen, Harrison, Fitzpatrick, Webb etc...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:11 pm 

I agree. All of those guys have some weakness in pass protection. Sometimes you can covert a decent CB but we could definitely use a draftee or free agent.

A
Steelafan77 wrote:
Another thing genie if I'm Tombert I look at safety in the first and second day(s) of the draft for Mitchell's replacement. I don't believe right now Wilcox/Hagen/Gay and especially Golden are answers going forward. Blanding, Allen, Harrison, Fitzpatrick, Webb etc...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:52 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I remember tweaking my Achilles. Was in the outfield for slow pitch corporate softball, thinking to myself I just tweaked my Achilles and I wonder if I should worry about.......5 minutes later I swung for the fences and smashed one right down the first base line, just short of passing the pitcher’s mound but fair. Three to five sprint steps towards first base I was facing homeplate somehow with a completely ruptured Achilles. Drove myself to urgent care and one sizable scar and 4 years later all is back to 90% normal.

This is what would be going through my mind if I was Mitchell.

This is exactly what happened with Richard Sherman this month.

Two games ago, he injured his Achilles and knew it was going to fully go at some point. He continued to play, because, as he said, who knows when/if it was going to go and B. every game is too important to his team.

Anyway, he played 2 games in 4 days and it ruptured completely.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:45 pm 

Week 10 injury report, Deebo is listed out vs Colts Sunday. Didn't know he had a back injury. http://www.steelers.com/news/injuryrepo ... bec0215d13

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next