It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steelers wearing Army decals on sunday
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:35 pm 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2135 ... ay-weekend

Quote:
The Steelers will recognize Veterans Day this weekend by wearing helmet decals representing the various Army divisions in an effort led by left tackle Alejandro Villanueva.

Villanueva, whose background as a former Army Ranger made him a prominent figure in the league's controversy over the national anthem, told ESPN he is presenting each Steelers teammate with a helmet decal representing one of the Army divisions for Sunday's game against the Indianapolis Colts.

"It's just a small-unit patch that really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but the history behind it means the whole world to a lot of veterans," Villanueva said. "They died for that patch. When you watch the Steelers on Sunday and you see the flash of the 10th round division and the 7th round division ... you're calling out specific units."

Villanueva was part of the 10th and 75th infantry divisions and served in Afghanistan before becoming an NFL player.

He is pairing the decals with players whose personalities match the spirit of a specific division. Villanueva received the decals from the Army football team.

Post subject: Re: Steelers wearing Army decals on sunday
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:31 pm 

That's really, really cool. Probably the first of these kinds of NFL promotions that I think makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:32 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
That's really, really cool. Probably the first of these kinds of NFL promotions that I think makes sense.

Agreed, also cool that he is assigning each a player a patch based on their personality. Very cool.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:26 pm 

I believe that this is could be the coolest thing the league has done in a while. Could be one of those things that happens next year during November

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:41 pm 

Yeah it doesnt get better than that.

Quote:
As an example of his process, Villanueva will give right tackle Chris Hubbard the 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagles" Division decal because the player and division are known for reserved but efficient workmanship. Backup quarterback Landry Jones gets the 1st Armored Division in part because Jones knows Villanueva's brother-in-law, who served with that division.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:47 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Is this an NFL promotion, or is it Villanueva doing it on his own? The article seemed to insinuate that Vllanueva was taking the initiative on his own, unless I misread something.

And if he IS doing this on his own...does the NFL dare fine him and the team for uniform violations?

Oh God, the fallout from the NFL doing that would be spectacular!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:27 pm 

Coolest fucking thing ever!

Absolutely love it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:46 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Agreed, also cool that he is assigning each a player a patch based on their personality. Very cool.

Love it.

Hope we learn of what players got what patch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:56 pm 

Welp...cant lose now. How can you justify playing like shit with those patches on your helmet?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:02 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Is this an NFL promotion, or is it Villanueva doing it on his own? The article seemed to insinuate that Vllanueva was taking the initiative on his own, unless I misread something.

And if he IS doing this on his own...does the NFL dare fine him and the team for uniform violations?

Oh God, the fallout from the NFL doing that would be spectacular!

Cool gesture but this is where I am at. Also, as if we need more evidence that the NFL is a complete mess, Wilson almost gets his head knocked off then comes right back into the game last night. LOL