It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tomlin Presser
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:16 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
I’ve been avoiding this site

Still too painful to discuss. I don’t want to rehash one of the most mind numbing endings EVER.

And like SWISS, I’m old. 53 to be exact. I’ve seen some shit.

That’s wayyyyyyyyyy up there on my short list of stunning, shocking and painful losses of ALL TIME.

As painful as it is, it’s a regular season loss.

If it turns into us getting cut up by a Jacksonville buzz saw, then I’ll feel worse, but we’re still in and likely to get the #2 seed, and we have the players to beat New England...IF our coaches can get their collective heads out of their asses.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:25 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:

Still too painful to discuss. I don’t want to rehash one of the most mind numbing endings EVER.

That’s wayyyyyyyyyy up there on my short list of stunning, shocking and painful losses of ALL TIME.

If it turns into us getting cut up by a Jacksonville buzz saw, then I’ll feel worse, but we’re still in and likely to get the #2 seed, and we have the players to beat New England...IF our coaches can get their collective heads out of their asses.

Tomlin only pulls his out to tip his cap.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:47 pm 

Tomlin cannot tell the world the truth that he was totally unprepared and lost in the situation. This is precisely what I have preached personally to family, friends, business colleagues: either you manage conditions or those conditions will manage you. Tomlin failed to manage the critical moments. It's an escalating race, it's all coming to a climax and he let the critical situation manage him. We know what we saw, There was chaos when there shoukd have been controlled strategy, Tomlin is lying but he has no choice, he has to save face. He cannot disclose that he isn't qualified to be Steeler HC. I just hope he explained to certain key players that he had to say what he said because they will know his presser was bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:58 pm 

I’m not sure our players are smart enough to know either. We have some dumb fuckers on this team.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:59 pm 

955876 wrote:
I’m not sure our players are smart enough to know either. We have some dumb fuckers on this team.

Including our star quarterback, who wanted to spike away one more chance to win in regulation.

Although you know something? Given how fucked up everything was at that point, Ben may have had the right idea.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:59 pm 

Lynch wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:

Tomlin only pulls his out to tip his cap.

I know you’re pretending to be a racist troll, but this made me laugh nonetheless! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:03 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
I know you’re pretending to be a racist troll, but this made me laugh nonetheless! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The John Lynch avatar makes the troll. 8/10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:04 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
955876 wrote:

Including our star quarterback, who wanted to spike away one more chance to win in regulation.

Although you know something? Given how fucked up everything was at that point, Ben may have had the right idea.

I’m forever grateful to Benjisan for 40 & 43.

With that being said, the guy left a lot on the table career wise by (1) not staying in better shape in offseason and more importantly (2) not becoming a more cerebral QB.

We can bash Tomlin & Haley for doing stupid shit but reality is that Ben isn’t far behind. ESPECIALLY when you factor his tenure.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:25 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Maybe we missed something, but if we didn't, I'm calling bullshit.

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/T ... 3cee81a7c2

Watch the questions section, starting at around 8 minutes. Tomlin makes it sound like the brain trust was engaged in the Helsinki Peace Talks during the replay review, rather than standing around in various stages of ass-picking.

Thing is, Tomlin is saying, that based on word from the official, Steelers spent most of their time talking about the possibility of James being ruled down at the 1, and then a 10-second runoff.

Based on the vid, they should have known that that possibility was about nil.

I read that on Steelers Depot.

Unfuckingbelieveable on many scales.

First...so what? Call four plays...two if he’s ruled down at the one, two if it’s ruled incomplete. You should be able to do this in about a minute. Get Ben off his ass from whatever he’s doing and have him there listening.

Second...why are you relying on what the official’s telling you? You have a guy in the booth, right? Isn’t it his job to look at replays? Call up to him and ask him what the likelihood of the ruling being down at the one is. Or do you tell the booth guys they can go home at the two minute warning?

Even worse...Tomlin CONFIRMED he wanted to run down and clock the ball instead of call timeout.

Are you fucking kidding me? You were really going to run down there, which would take about 15 seconds, and clock it? Leaving 20 seconds and now only two shots at a win before kicking a FG?

He’s learned NOTHING in ten years. NOTHING. He doesn’t remember that Baltimore 2008 almost came down to having to convert a fourth down play.

34 seconds and three shots to win the game is BETTER than 19 seconds and only two shots...as long as you’re not a complete moron, that is!

What a fucking IDIOT!

We are NOT beating New England in post-season.

Not at Gillette...not at Heinz...not in a stadium personally built by Tomlin himself, officiated by Tomlin’s friends, and with rules that the Pats only get two downs on offense.

We have the players to do it....but they can not overcome the MORON that is their head coach.

We can beat any one of the other 30 teams...but NOT New England.

NOT happening.

Tomlin does many things real well.

His biggest down fall is that he is.....

Instinctually Football Deficient.
I.F.D. if you will.

Un prepared and un practiced for moments like this
He is still unsure when to call time outs in relation to time left.
And if you are not prepared and practiced for these moments. You better have pretty good football instincts to do so in the heat of ther moment.

Which brings me back to...
I.F.D.

He explained in presser how he and Ben were looking at one another with Ben while running down field asking Tomlin if he should call time out.....
And it was the ref who blew whistle...with Tomlin commenting that Ben was asking "him" if he should call time out and not the ref and then asked ref why he blew whistle.

First off.. thank the official for blowing the whistle as the correct call at :34 As the Steelers would have blown another 10 -12+ seconds getting down field. Set and then what....spike the ball? Im sure they would have not run down. Get set Ben calls a play and then they run it. Not after the whole team ran 70 yards. And knowing they don't practice these moments.

I think the ref was probably thinking..
Ummmmm.....
Yeah. You call a time out coach.

Send the ref a second thank You.... because if they did not call time out.... they most likely spike the ball with less than 20 seconds left.

And then it's 2nd down....only 2 shots at a TD.

Or 1st down with 3 shots at TD.
All three of which should have been with the best possible personnel on the field and all three shots in the endzone.
First thing i yelled when Ju Ju got tackled....
"Ok. Three shots in the EndZone"
No brainer.

Since they had a time out to get it right.
Since they had the second stoppage with review they had even more time to set the next two plays.

But again... this is all decided in the moment.
In those 30 seconds.....

When all this should be figured out on Friday. On Thursday. Last week. Pre season. Mini camp.
Off season in the back yard......

You can't get time back.
And you can't get downs back once inside the 10....barring penalty.

But our brain trust is trying to decide this in the moment and pandemonium.....

Send the ref a christmas gift.
Invite him to the facility during the week.
Run a practice with scenarios.
Hire the genius and make him stand next to you during ther game.

Been saying for a long time.
I can not see the Steelers winning another Super Bowl with him at head coach.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:27 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Oh....and Myriad may have displaced Obviously as Tomlin's word of choice.

There were a myriad of possibilities; there's a myriad of options; we had a myriad of plays we were considering.

Imagine if during the week they practiced several different end game scenarios and had a quick scorecard of plays for those situations that they could quickly refer to and make decisions?

Imagine if they got their likely personnel groupings for those plays together and had them waiting on the sideline. Imagine if these groupings were told to listen for the signal as to which one was going out there so they could run out onto the field the instant the call came down...if they had to.

Imagine PLANNING AHEAD OF TIME.

I know...sometimes I ask too much of people that get paid millions of dollars...

What is this scorecard and personnel groupings you speak of......