It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:19 am 

No Swiss.

I don't see how you fail to grasp that I am not merely assuming things.

I am not merely positing conclusions and claiming they are true.

I provided premises to advance those conclusions.

YOU then claimed I was wrong.

I then asked you to explain why.

YOU then proceeded to supply much sound and fury, but no assessment of the premises.

The poster yonwhom you refer that I accused of begging a question assumed something without argument.

Big, big difference. If you are going to treat arguments as things no different than unjustified assumptions, we can't proceed.

Let's put down the insults and concentrate on the arguments instead, shall we.

Lot's of family obligations (happily) the next few days, as to be expected.

We'll sort all this out.

But. What I have voluntarily ceded as not wrong, but defeasible is the second argument. The first and third arguments I have more confidence in.

I will add; you still are not directly engaging the premises I use to secure my conclusions. To show why I am wrong about my conclusions, we have to show why the premises are unsound. Otherwise, what you suppose to undermine my conclusions may not be what those conclusions rest on. And hence I can claim my conclusions have not been refuted.

Lest you think I'm full of shit, it's no different in geometry. Take a gander at Euclid. It's all syllogisms just as I have given.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:36 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
No Swiss.

I don't see how you fail to grasp that I am not merely assuming things.

I am not merely positing conclusions and claiming they are true.

I provided premises to advance those conclusions.

YOU then claimed I was wrong.

I then asked you to explain why.

YOU then proceeded to supply much sound and fury, but no assessment of the premises.

The poster yonwhom you refer that I accused of begging a question assumed something without argument.

Big, big difference. If you are going to treat arguments as things no different than unjustified assumptions, we can't proceed.

Let's put down the insults and concentrate on the arguments instead, shall we.

Lot's of family obligations (happily) the next few days, as to be expected.

We'll sort all this out.

But. What I have voluntarily ceded as not wrong, but defeasible is the second argument. The first and third arguments I have more confidence in.

I will add; you still are not directly engaging the premises I use to secure my conclusions. To show why I am wrong about my conclusions, we have to show why the premises are unsound. Otherwise, what you suppose to undermine my conclusions may not be what those conclusions rest on. And hence I can claim my conclusions have not been refuted.

Lest you think I'm full of shit, it's no different in geometry. Take a gander at Euclid. It's all syllogisms just as I have given.

Except football is NOT geometry, and you're writing as though it is. Your off base on all three of your arguments:
*My argument, that quality of wins is not determined solely by the strength of the opposition, is every bit as valid as your position. Eye of the beholder, Lit. I've already given you one example, wins over the Patriots in '08 vs. '11. You and Jeems may think that the '11 win was a higher quality win. I don't.

*You seem to already be ceding this pleasure bullshit, so we'll leave that alone.

*Your final point, re: rooting for injuries being pussy fandom? Two things on that. I'll direct you once again to the Football Forum OP on that topic, where oh, upwards of 90% of the respondents are rooting for injury to Brady & Gronk. Guess we're all pussies? If we're NOT all pussies, in your opinion, how do you square that? And again...opting to face the Patriots at full strength rather than diminished strength as a Steeler fan, in a game that assumes a number of injuries, is simply fuckin' stupid. If the shoe fits, Lit....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:34 pm 

Oh no, I did not cede squat about the second argument. Guess you didn't look up what defeasible means.

Yes, you are all pussy fans. I gives no fucks about your poll. And...it's not like you framed the poll by means of my argument.

And wins against starter players are wins against better quality players. Follows the win is of higher quality.

You want the team to face an opposition as weakened as possible. Total pussy position.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:14 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Oh no, I did not cede squat about the second argument. Guess you didn't look up what defeasible means.

Yes, you are all pussy fans. I gives no fucks about your poll. And...it's not like you framed the poll by means of my argument.

And wins against starter players are wins against better quality players. Follows the win is of higher quality.

You want the team to face an opposition as weakened as possible. Total pussy position.

Nope....didn't look up defeasible and still haven't.

Your argument's weaker and weaker, Lit. Face it.

I want my team to win....you're chasing some ultimate pleasure experience, whatever the fuck that is. I well remember your critique of Steelers play-calling....not because it wasn't smart, but because it was "boring as fuck." Go watch a fuckin' movie if you're just looking to be entertained. Grinch should be on tonight, or White Christmas....more your speed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:24 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Nope....didn't look up defeasible and still haven't.

Your argument's weaker and weaker, Lit. Face it.

I want my team to win....you're chasing some ultimate pleasure experience, whatever the fuck that is. I well remember your critique of Steelers play-calling....not because it wasn't smart, but because it was "boring as fuck." Go watch a fuckin' movie if you're just looking to be entertained. Grinch should be on tonight, or White Christmas....more your speed.

I have not changed my arguments so they cannot have gotten weaker.

Made three arguments, only one of which concerns pleasure.

None of the things you wrote in the quoted have anything to do with assessing my arguments.

Man, Swiss, were you drunk when you posted this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14