It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Much as Cam Sutton Played?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:12 pm 

I have missed Cam Sutton for the past 2 weeks. I know Haden is back, but how much has Sutton played
in the past 2 games? I never hear his name mentioned.

Post subject: Re: How Much as Cam Sutton Played?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:34 pm 

In 5 games played starting 1, Sutton has amassed 113 snaps on defense, 37 snaps on ST's...less playing time than JJ Wilcox. Sutton has 4 tackles, 1 assist. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... counts.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:35 pm 

My guess is they see Haden, Sutton, and Burns all as outaide guys. It would be great if one could learn to play the slot. Not sure his skill set fits it well but maybe Haden to FS? Assuredly has the coverage skills.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:43 pm 

Thinking Hilton has the slot corner spot pretty much locked up. I agree Sutton's talent is best served as an outside corner. Nice back up to an aging Haden and Burns though. They need a legitimate FS prospect. One move they might try is Davis to FS and drafting SS prospect. Thought Wilcox was a good candidate for that SS role but he can't even find the field. I keep Hilton and Haden where they're at. Sutton could be an option for ST's returns. Although Smith-Schuster has been doing fairly well there too. Hate to see a talented guy sit behind others. Gotta be some way to get Sutton on the field.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:35 pm 

Quote:
You might have assumed with so many starters resting, rookie cornerback Cam Sutton might get more reps. But no such luck. The first-year player only got three snaps while Artie Burns played 64 snaps and Joe Haden played 62. Even William Gay the team’s dime cornerback played 22. http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/0 ... -browns/2/
I believe Sutton is to replace Gay. Eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:45 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
You might have assumed with so many starters resting, rookie cornerback Cam Sutton might get more reps. But no such luck. The first-year player only got three snaps while Artie Burns played 64 snaps and Joe Haden played 62. Even William Gay the team’s dime cornerback played 22. http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/0 ... -browns/2/
I believe Sutton is to replace Gay. Eventually.

I saw him in Gay's dime spot in the first quarter against Cleveland - maybe a sign of things to come in the playoffs? Perhaps the Steelers didn't want to give too much away? Really hope we can keep this guy on the field - he's really impressed when he's been in there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:51 pm 

Yes sir. Sutton is getting reps in that role all season. As well as outside reps. Sutton is the more youthful, talented dual threat Gay has been for this defense. The additional perk is Sutton can return kicks/punts too. Although one might ask why Sutton hasn't seen any reps there on ST's?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:02 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Yes sir. Sutton is getting reps in that role all season. As well as outside reps. Sutton is the more youthful, talented dual threat Gay has been for this defense. The additional perk is Sutton can return kicks/punts too. Although one might ask why Sutton hasn't seen any reps there on ST's?

I hate to say it but I believe they like Rodgers there at the moment and to Rodgers' credit he's been more decisive and a little more fearless returning punts lately. Not like he was @ the beginning of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:10 pm 

It seems so cajun. Between Rogers and Smith-Schuster I believe Sutton was relegated to defensive only snaps. Unless Sutton was on ST's playing in a different role. Gunner is usually Heyward-Bey's role and Matakevich role. Didn't notice Sutton on any ST's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:47 pm 

Cam's snaps on defense have gone like this the past 5 games:

Cin 24 snaps Defense, 2 snaps on ST
Bal 29 snaps Defense, 5 snaps on ST
NE 57 snaps Defense, 6 snaps on ST
Hou 0 snaps Defense, 14 snaps on ST
Clev 3 snaps on Defense, 10 snaps on ST

Joe Haden coming back really seems to have dramatically lessened Sutton's snaps on defense, and that is understandable.

That being said, it was pretty ugly watching Gay being burned for a TD on this play, and giving up a first down catch on another play. The Steelers do use Dime looks, and Gay was on the field 12 times against Houston, and 22 times against Cleveland, and the QBs of those respective teams did target Gay when he was on the field.

I get that they like Gay and him being a veteran and being able to help with communication out there on the field, but his lack of speed and diminishing skills are a recipe for disaster in the playoffs.

Getting back to Sutton, I don't think it is just a coincidence that the special teams units are playing better of late, particularly on returns. It seems like the gunners/jammers have been on fire. And the blocking for our returners have been much, much better. On JuJu's touchdown, if Touissant does not make the block that he did JuJu is probably tackled at the 30 yard line. I think we have better special teamers out there that are making the difference. Sutton and Allen are in the double digits in terms of special teams snaps now, and I think they have helped to make a difference in giving Eli Rogers more time to catch the ball and have a return.

Still, I would love to see Sutton eat into half of Gay's dime snaps, that is one of our achilles heels on defense. Gay can't matchup against some of the RBs, slot WRs that we are going to face in the playoffs, Sutton can.