It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SBI: Wild-Card Round
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:56 pm 

The regular season has reached its conclusion, and while teeth-gnashing over the NFL's robbery at Heinz Field two weeks ago remains fresh, the Steelers securing a first round bye should be celebrated. I've oft-maintained that there's a much greater difference, and distance, between #2 & #3 seed, than between the top two seeds. Needing to win only two games to get to the Super Bowl with a guarantee of one of those games at homes represents a huge leg up on needing to win an extra game, with the final two likely being on the road.

This Steeler team is loaded offensively, just needing to keep its foot on the gas, and cast Ben as the maestro of his unit. Defensively, it's worrisome. There was a Trib piece this week on Sean Spence and his improvements week to week. The replacement of Ryan Shazier remains challenging and will remain so going forward. Yesterday, against the moribund Cleve Brownies, Steelers surrendered big play after big play, something that plagues them even while winning eight straight. One of their better defensive efforts though, was against the New England Patriots. More on that in a bit. First though, SBI for the AFC Wildcard Round:

*Chefs over Titans: This is SBI only if Jax takes care of biz against the Bills of Buffalo. Chefs are clearly the team best equipped to give the dastardly Patriots, the guys in black & white stripes, and the suits in NYC, a battle in Foxboro. Chefs beat these fuckers on their home turf to open the season, and seem to have regained their early-season swagger after their mid-season swoon, brought on, as we know, by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Chefs have the offensive weapons to move the ball and score consistently on the Patriots, and Alex Smiff, for better or worse (let's hope better) has the playoff experience. Conversely, tough to see the Titans, even with old friend Dick LeBeau, coordinating the defense, going into Foxboro and winning.

*Jags over Bills: Jags, and importantly, QB Blake Bortles, seems to be coming down to earth. They've lost consecutive road games, albeit yesterday's was meaningless insofar as playoff seeing. Bills, nice story, but absent Shady McCoy, tough to see them winning next week, and even tougher to see them winning the following week in Foxboro should they survive their test next week. Even if I thought the Bills had the pieces in place, there's coaching. The thought of Sean McDermott opting for a 50 yd. field goal try, mid 4Q, down 7 points two weeks ago, has me believing he just can't do it. Absent SBI, I would be rooting hard for the Bills in this one. But SBI is for Jags to win, come into Heinz Field on January 14. Segue to...

Steelers will beat Jags. They'll run the ball more, have a more balanced attack than on October 8 when Stosh jinxed the Steelers, cost my son his perfect record built on a 15-year history of attending Steeler games at Heinz. And Blake Bortles...dude is toast. Steelers will win this game somewhat comfortably.

Steelers vs. Patriots (most likely): Yes, it's early to be looking ahead. But, as fans, we can do that. Mike Tomlin will utilize his most visible, most compelling skill, his Exceedingly Well-Developed Line of Bullshit, and have his team sky high for this game. Particularly due to the game having been stolen at Heinz on December 17, this Steelers bunch will be sick and fuckin' tired of being owned by these mother-fuckers from New England. Couple other things:

*Could it be that Steeler defense is more focused, more diligent, more communicative on the road? Having been scorched by the Packers replacement QB, by Joe Fucco, and yesterday somewhat by Deshon Kizer, I'm liking the Steelers D a little bit better on enemy territory. Combine that with....
*Could it be that Tom Brady is at his best in Heinz Field, and not as good on his home turf? Steelers pressured him two weeks ago, but Brady was on his game. These past two weeks, in Gillette, he seemed off. I seriously think that Brady's not as amped up at home, and has talked about the atmosphere when he plays at Heinz, how it's incomparable. I think I would rather face this guy on Route 1, in the hellhole of Gillette Stadium.

I'm still not confident with our coaching vs. their coaching in 4Q of a tight game. I seriously believe Steelers can get up on these douches, keep their foot on the gas, and go into 4Q with a two-score lead, win the game by 11-14 points.

And yes, that happens, I'm in the Atlantic Ocean the following Saturday, adorned in Black & Gold.

Post subject: Re: SBI: Wild-Card Round
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:20 pm 

I'm on board baby!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:18 pm 

bam morris wrote:
I'm on board baby!! :D

I'm in on jumping into the Atlantic. Living in Boston sucks right now and I don't think I could ever be happier as a sports fan than to beat those smug fuckers...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:28 pm 

I think the Steelers lost to Jax the first time by trying... and failing to run effectively. Got some unfavorable down and distance-- lack of flow to the playcalling, and all the emphasis on trying to run on early downs killed their flow offensively-- looked like receivers were sleepwalking and making silly mistakes/drops.

The Steeler gameplan vs Baltimore in 2nd game is the one: spread 'em and shred 'em. Run to victory once you establish the lead. Can't let that team hang around via stalling drives, FGs, and turtling too soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:10 pm 

Highly doubt Pats lose twice in the same season to the same team. Just doesn’t seem plausible to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:21 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I think the Steelers lost to Jax the first time by trying... and failing to run effectively. Got some unfavorable down and distance-- lack of flow to the playcalling, and all the emphasis on trying to run on early downs killed their flow offensively-- looked like receivers were sleepwalking and making silly mistakes/drops.

The Steeler gameplan vs Baltimore in 2nd game is the one: spread 'em and shred 'em. Run to victory once you establish the lead. Can't let that team hang around via stalling drives, FGs, and turtling too soon.

Which is a proven propensity of this staff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:32 pm 

Do we get to look ahead and root against the better NFC teams. Or is it SBI-backup to root for the best from the NFC in case NE goes to another SB?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:32 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Take a look at the play-by-play, B2B....and tell me if that's you're story, and you're sticking to it. This was the game where Steelers, down 7-6, had 1st & goal at Jax 5, threw three consecutive passes, kicked a field goal, and on next two possessions, threw pick-sixes. Steelers ran 20 times this game, threw 55. I certainly don't think they overdid it with the running game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400951655

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:35 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Do we get to look ahead and root against the better NFC teams. Or is it SBI-backup to root for the best from the NFC in case NE goes to another SB?

Nope...SBI stops if/when Steelers are out. You're welcome to take shot at the NFC side, Kodiak....I've just not done it. We already took care of the Vikes with little problem, but would be a home game for them. I'm inclined to want to face the Iggles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:49 pm 

Chiefs had a guy that could and did shut down Gronk- but he is gone for the season. And they got owned in the rushing game and added Harrison to plug the leak. So not going to be the blow out that occurred at the beginning of the season. Honestly, all this SBI is well-intentioned but I'm old school on this- I want the Pats at their house with a healthy AB, a healthy Joe Haden and rested DL.