It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bouchette Chat 1/2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:03 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1801020075

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, Steelers have a bye, our chat does not. Let's begin

Guest: I know mock drafts and prospects evaluations are rampant right now but do you like Uchenna Nwosu (USC) or Leighton Vander Esch (Boise State) as likely picks at ILB with Shaziers
Ed Bouchette: Check with me in April

Jeff M: Hi Ed, How do you think NFL evaluators view the growing trend of CFP sitting out bowl games? As a fan its disappointing but based on McCaffery and Fornette from last year I am guessing the NFL does not mind it at all.
Ed Bouchette: Maybe they even like it. The ones who skip are the obvious stars who will go high in the draft. The other players are the ones they still need to evaluate.

Emilio: Hi Ed, happy new year. If Harrison performs better than Dupree this post season, how should be at fault for talent evaluation, Porter, Butler or MT?
Ed Bouchette: It is an organizational thing but the buck stops with Mike Tomlin.

David in NC : Hi Ed- defensive backfield still a mess. Do you really think we have a chance against the Pats--if we get that far ?
Ed Bouchette: Did you see the game against the Patriots' at Heinz Field? And they played that without Joe Haden.

Patrick: Question: Do you think the repetitions that Ridley got on Sunday will turn into more opportunity in the playoff game, assuming the flow of the game allows for a running attack and snaps off for Leveon, potentially saving Leveon some for the potential showdown with the Pats
Ed Bouchette: At this point, I don't think they're trying to take snaps off Le'Veon. That will happen this week.

HKSteelefan: How is Spence doing? Surprised that he was our best option when the Steelers didn't value him enough to keep him, and couldn't catch on anywhere. Would he be ahead of Matakevich if Matakevish was 100% health?
Ed Bouchette: Spence left as a free agent and the Steelers drafted Shazier for that spot. He's not the same as he might have been had he not had that knee injury but, yes, he's the best alternative at this point

Tucson: It was a close call for the Steeler's rookie of the year. Both JuJu and Watt had impacts. Why didn't they just name both co-rookies of the year. That would be like trying to pick between Lambert and Swan on the same draft.
Ed Bouchette: Yet, the Steelers chose Swann first and Lambert second in that 1974 draft. We voted and it wasn't a tie, so the one with the most votes won.

Daniel: What tv coverage on the 14th?
Ed Bouchette: CBS, KDKA-Tv

JerseySteel: Hi Ed - any word on the injury to Finney on Sunday?
Ed Bouchette: He had an ankle injury but returned to play, then left with a calf injury for good. MT said "questionable" if they were to play this week.

JJ: Ed: IF rule were enforced and Packers had to release Rogers because of putting him on IR again with no new injury, and IF someone claimed him from waivers, how long could they keep him ?
Ed Bouchette: For as long as his contract with Green Bay lasts

Daniel: How is AB rehab progressing?
Ed Bouchette: Sounds as if it's going well. MT said he would be questionable for this week if the Steelers were playing.

mtsteel: Hi Ed, Happy New Year. How much of a factor do you feel the "rust from not playing" effects these guy's come 1/14? Thank you.
Ed Bouchette: I don't think it will affect them. I think the time off will benefit them.

NPG2003: Ed, Not a great showing by our D against the lowly Browns- Can this Defense hold up in the playoffs? (Knew our LBs would struggle without Shazier, but our safeties looked lost for most of that game.) What say you?
Ed Bouchette: By resting so many of his stars (most of them on offense) perhaps MT sent a message not intended to the others that the game really wasn't that important.

coachd: Ed, longtime reader, first time question.....week in and week out it appears there are a ton of no shows in the stands. I'm watching via DirecTV or national games, but is attendance (not paid attendance) dropping?
Ed Bouchette: I thought there would be even fewer than the 50,000 who showed up on New Year's Eve for a game in 11 degree weather that the Steelers by their actions said was unimportant. They had a record crowd against New England

Big Ben: Why isn't Mike T being mentioned as Coach of the year? This may be his best season yet.
Ed Bouchette: When everyone has you as one of the best in the league and then you go out and prove it, you usually don't win that award. Chuck Noll never won a legit NFL coach of the year award.

CanadianSteelersFan: My best guess would be that the Jaguars beat the Bills and we play them in the divisional round. Great way to finish the year with two teams that we lost to in the regular season. Let the vengeance tour begin. How confident are you that the Steelers can beat the Jaguars?
Ed Bouchette: It would be a major upset if somehow the Bills won. I don't think the Jaguars are as good as when they beat the Steelers earlier and I don't think they will win a second time. Bortles vs. Ben? Not even close in a game that counts like this.

TXSTEELER : So people are still siding with Harrison and blaming the team despite several Steelers outlining what a bad teammate and the poor effort he gave this year. Is this a biproduct of irrational Tomlin hate or just plane ignorance?
Ed Bouchette: James Harrison said he did not handle everything properly but I think it's taking it a step too far to say he was a bad teammate and he did not give a "poor" effort because he played hard in those few times they played him.

Chuck Seiler: Ed...Why didn't the Steelers experiment with different defense coverages versus Cleveland..man to man vs zone...etc...because it seemed like same ol same ol ...and we won't win the first game let alone the second if we play like we did against Cleveland
Ed Bouchette: Soooo, you think the Steelers might play against Jacksonville or New England the same way they played against Cleveland?

Carlos: HNY Ed! Thinking about the playoffs of the Division, it is almost certain that the Steelers will face the Jaguars. What would be the Steelers' biggest concern in this rematch?
Ed Bouchette: Fournette

xboxps450: Who do you think will play a bigger role in the playoffs? Jesse James or Vance McDonald?
Ed Bouchette: Probably neither will play a big role but they seem to be going to McDonald more often lately

jim: Do you think the best teams got into the AFC playoffs? I think the Ravens and Chargers are better than the Bills and Titans, thoughts?
Ed Bouchette: Maybe, but then the Ravens should not have given up a 49-yard TD pass on fourth-and-12 at the end of Sunday's game.

Jim: Ok, I know we’re talking about the Browns. Nonetheless: no one seems to think Landry Jones could ever be the Steelers full-time guy, yet I thought he looked good the other night. What do you think?
Ed Bouchette: I would agree that he looked good against Cleveland, real good. Becoming the full-time starters is a whole 'nother thing. Not saying he couldn't, just saying that one game may not be an indicator one way or the other

jim: Are we going to be hurting if we lose Munchak? Hard to replace a coach of that caliber.
Ed Bouchette: He may be the best offensive line coach they ever had.

PC: Is this the year the Steelers slay the dragon in foxborough? Or do they get captain checkdown(Alex smith) in Pittsburgh for afc championship?
Ed Bouchette: I don't think New England or the Steelers will lose their first playoff game.

Joe in Orlando: With all of the issues concerning what is a catch and the alleged PATS favoritism from the guy in New York, why not go to a 3 person committee. Majority rules on replays.
Ed Bouchette: Or bring in the Electoral College

Sheff: How concerned are you at the depth at RB? If Bell goes down, there is no threat on the ground.
Ed Bouchette: I think they could get by, not as well, but they could get by

Sheff: Why hasn't Bell had any big gains this year on the ground? He never seems to break the big one, much like Bettis. Not to suggest he isnt spectacular, but you'd think he'd have a couple 40 yard TDs by now, right?
Ed Bouchette: He doesn't have great speed. He is not a back that breaks long gains.

Sheff: At this point, do you have any knowledge on Shazier's condition? Is he able to use his legs or walk at all or is he completely parylyzed?
Ed Bouchette: Not much info coming out but if he were able to walk, I think that news would have broken by now.

Eric: During the Houston game I noticed that Ben was wearing his wedding ring. Was he & does he do it all the time? Seems like a broken finger waiting to happen.
Ed Bouchette: My, my, my

mrbig: Looking ahead, is there any way of preventing "headset issues" at Foxboro? That worries me more than the crowd, etc....
Ed Bouchette: The NFL could prevent it if the league really wanted to prevent it.

Cali50: Match-up wise, who is your pick for the Steelers’ divisional rd opponent and why?
Ed Bouchette: I believe they will play Jacksonville because I don't think the Bills can beat them, especially without Shady McCoy or a wounded Shady

Tom D: Thoughts on Landry? Five years in and he is still tripping and stumbling around.
Ed Bouchette: Did you watch the same game I did? And did you know he was playing behind a third-string center who really is not a center?

Bince: Health is a key, especially with a potential rematch in Foxboro. How big a difference will having Haden & McDonald ready to go be?
Ed Bouchette: It can't hurt. Plus, Antonio Brown left early in that game and Marcus Gilbert was still on suspension

Evoqua Water Technologies
Pammy: Hi Ed, KC is playing well again and they're a tough matchup for NE. Can they knock off the Pats twice in one year?
Ed Bouchette: Yes, they can, I just would not bet on it

Mark from L.A.: I understand not playing the starters, but it seems like have them inactive was a bit much. Losing the center could easily have cost them the game.
Ed Bouchette: Yes, and losing the game to Cleveland would have meant nothing

Mark from L.A.: Bell would have easily won the rushing title. Does missing out on it impact him financially at all?
Ed Bouchette: No, because he is playing on a one-year, franchise contract in which there are no bonuses

dave: With Harrison gone, what happens if Watt gets hurt?
Ed Bouchette: Anthony Chickillo plays

Guest: If you were running the Steelers, which of the three possible opponents would you most want to face next week?
Ed Bouchette: Tennessee

Jim - Chicago: Peter King today tweeted out his poll of voters for NFL NVP. Not a single first-place vote for AB, Bell, or Ben. Surprised?
Ed Bouchette: No. Tom Brady would get most of them and Carson Wentz the rest would be my guess
Ed Bouchette: Thank you for another great chat. See you next Tuesday

First Published January 2, 2018, 10:27am

Post subject: Re: Bouchette Chat 1/2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:44 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/02/Ed-Bouchette-Steelers-chat-1-2-18/stories/201801020075

HKSteelefan: How is Spence doing? Surprised that he was our best option when the Steelers didn't value him enough to keep him, and couldn't catch on anywhere. Would he be ahead of Matakevich if Matakevish was 100% health?
Ed Bouchette: Spence left as a free agent and the Steelers drafted Shazier for that spot. He's not the same as he might have been had he not had that knee injury but, yes, he's the best alternative at this point

Its hard to believe that a guy who wasn't on the roster is better than the back-ups that you kept over him - just fucking crazy to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:45 pm 

Ben said in his radio show, he'd prefer to play Jax to avenge the bad game!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:01 pm 

Bouchette is a snarky jerk , who got caught in a lie, during the Cowher era, and has acted like a fool ever since.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:45 pm 

Stillchest wrote:
Bouchette is a snarky jerk , who got caught in a lie, during the Cowher era, and has acted like a fool ever since.

Memory of that definitely fuzzy. What lie was that? Not disputing snarky, jerk or fool, mind you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:01 pm 

Stillchest wrote:

There were some dumb questions but Bouchette has been condescending in these chats for years. Almost like he choses dumb questions just to be snarky... I could be wrong and this is assuming there were quite a few more questions to choose from.

Also, I miss the Madchatter or whatever his name was with the Stillers and SF references.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:22 pm 

Ice wrote:
Stillchest wrote:

Memory of that definitely fuzzy. What lie was that? Not disputing snarky, jerk or fool, mind you.

Before the Steelers resigned Jerome Bettis, Bouchette said, Cowher was going to allow Bettis to walk because he promised Richard Huntley the starting RB position.
Cowher said, Bouchette was lying, and Bouchette was made to publicly retract his lie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
BethlehemSteel wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/02/Ed-Bouchette-Steelers-chat-1-2-18/stories/201801020075

Its hard to believe that a guy who wasn't on the roster is better than the back-ups that you kept over him - just fucking crazy to me.

You know there's a salary cap, right? Spence wanted to go somewhere and potentially start. And he wanted to get paid as much as he could. At the time, they had Timmons, Shazier, and Williams at ILB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:59 pm 

Missed this.....it does give creedance to NFL not on the level with NE and favored scripting

mrbig: Looking ahead, is there any way of preventing "headset issues" at Foxboro? That worries me more than the crowd, etc....
Ed Bouchette: The NFL could prevent it if the league really wanted to prevent it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:29 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
Missed this.....it does give creedance to NFL not on the level with NE and favored scripting

Because Bouchette has “inside” league information???
Bouchette is a giant tool...