It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Could NFL bring Blandino back next year?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:00 am 

PFT

Quote:
Could NFL bring Blandino back next year?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2018, 7:27 AM EST

With the replay-review function not consistently adhering to the “clear and obvious” evidence standard and with Saturday’s postseason-opening game not featuring the kind of officiating the league’s teams and fans deserve, the NFL has plenty of issues to address regarding one of its most important functions.

And the easiest solution when it comes to the current state of officiating could be to bring back former senior V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino.

There’s already talk in some league circles about a possible Blandino return in 2018. I recently joked with Blandino during a recent appearance on the PFT PM podcast regarding the possibility of returning for the postseason. He initially said he’s happy in his current job at FOX, but when pressed he said that it “depends on what the numbers are, what the finances look like.”

And it quickly became evidence that the numbers and finances had a role in Blandino’s decision to move on.

“I think that there was a sense of, around the league office and some of the people in leadership positions, they didn’t value that position the way it should have been valued, and how important it is,” Blandino said. “During the season, other than the Commissioner, the head of officiating is probably the most public-facing person in the office. And those decisions that are made, I mean, these affect the outcome of games, and that’s your product on the field.

“So I do feel that the position was not valued to where it should have been. And, look, you always like to feel that you provided value, and I would never want someone to fail to make myself look better, but I do believe that they never valued that position where it should have been, and maybe it’s a wake-up call for some people around the league.”

The question is whether they’re sufficiently awake to turn the clock back to where it was before Blandino left. And whether Blandino would be willing (or able) to exit his current job to return to the one that had been crafted specifically for him, especially as it relates to the effort to ensure accuracy and consistency as it relates to where rulings on the field will be overturned by someone who is hundreds if not thousands of miles away.

He wants straight cash homey.

Post subject: Re: Could NFL bring Blandino back next year?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:25 am 

stillthere wrote:
PFT

Quote:
Could NFL bring Blandino back next year?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2018, 7:27 AM EST

With the replay-review function not consistently adhering to the “clear and obvious” evidence standard and with Saturday’s postseason-opening game not featuring the kind of officiating the league’s teams and fans deserve, the NFL has plenty of issues to address regarding one of its most important functions.

And the easiest solution when it comes to the current state of officiating could be to bring back former senior V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino.

There’s already talk in some league circles about a possible Blandino return in 2018. I recently joked with Blandino during a recent appearance on the PFT PM podcast regarding the possibility of returning for the postseason. He initially said he’s happy in his current job at FOX, but when pressed he said that it “depends on what the numbers are, what the finances look like.”

And it quickly became evidence that the numbers and finances had a role in Blandino’s decision to move on.

“I think that there was a sense of, around the league office and some of the people in leadership positions, they didn’t value that position the way it should have been valued, and how important it is,” Blandino said. “During the season, other than the Commissioner, the head of officiating is probably the most public-facing person in the office. And those decisions that are made, I mean, these affect the outcome of games, and that’s your product on the field.

“So I do feel that the position was not valued to where it should have been. And, look, you always like to feel that you provided value, and I would never want someone to fail to make myself look better, but I do believe that they never valued that position where it should have been, and maybe it’s a wake-up call for some people around the league.”

The question is whether they’re sufficiently awake to turn the clock back to where it was before Blandino left. And whether Blandino would be willing (or able) to exit his current job to return to the one that had been crafted specifically for him, especially as it relates to the effort to ensure accuracy and consistency as it relates to where rulings on the field will be overturned by someone who is hundreds if not thousands of miles away.

He wants straight cash homey.

That guy is a straight on criminal. Use a real official like Gerry Austin or an old timer

Better yet, eliminate the New York cabal altogether

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:35 am 

Roger making 60+ million and they probably offer the head of officiating 1 mill.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:48 am 

better yet, just get rid of instant replay altogether...and have the human element be part of the game again like it was in the'70s....At least griping about bad calls was legit then, given as of now, no one has any idea anymore as to what's a bad call...like yesterday's lack of Mariotta fumble b/c forward profess had bee stopped on a freaking sack....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:19 am 

I think/thought instant replay had a place in the game to stop egregious calls. However, since we have either reached an inability of terrible refs or the league to effectuate the intent and actual rule of instant replay (i.e. overturn something when there is clear and indisputable evidence the call was wrong and actually using the clear and indisputable evidence standard) or, alternatively, they are using instant replay for game manipulation, than instant replay should just go.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:51 am 

I don't get it. I see Blandino on TV, it frightens me that this guy had such a high level officiating position.

As full of himself as Perreira comes across, at least the guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Blandino keeps stepping on himself.

The more I think about it, the guys that get the officiating jobs have to be some kind of connected lobbyists. Some type of favor hire.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:20 pm 

I think they should get rid of review completely
But they won't ... I think the NFL likes the mechanism to create false drama and keep up their reality TV drift.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:30 pm 

SteelWill wrote:
better yet, just get rid of instant replay altogether...and have the human element be part of the game again like it was in the'70s....At least griping about bad calls was legit then, given as of now, no one has any idea anymore as to what's a bad call...like yesterday's lack of Mariotta fumble b/c forward profess had bee stopped on a freaking sack....

THIS^^

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:24 pm 

Blandino is a big mouth
But ...
He makes a good point generally. The NFL is a billion dollars business, franchises are worth a billion dollars as are TV contratcs. Players and coaches are paid millions and are fired if they're fail. Commentators tow the party line and are paid handsomely and it is all a big production that pays huge attention to detail. But, the refereeing and rule making are handled rather shabbily and doesn't seem to receive the same attention to detail.

Which leads people to believe it isn't either intentionally done to manipulate game flow and drama
Or the NFL viewing it as not mattering as much

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:07 pm 

There needs to be replay because there needs to be a way to reverse egregiously bad calls. i was thinking they should just get rid of all automatic replays. The coaches get so many challenges per game and that's it. Leave it up to the coaches to decide what's important and what's not. And when they're out of challenges, then that's that.