It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why do so many local reporters cover for Tomin's ass?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:00 pm 

It's a serious question. Years ago I used to read Lolley and Wexell and those 2 guys were so far up Tomlin's ass it would make your head spin. I mean it was outright propaganda as far as I'm concerned. Any clock management or situational gaffe was defended. I'm not sure where Bouchette comes down. My theory used to be they simply liked Tomlin on a personal level(especially relative to Cowher who apparently treated a lot of the local media like pissants while sucking up to national media).

Post subject: Re: Why do so many local reporters cover for Tomin's ass?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 pm 

In the old days, it was all about access.

Is that still the case? Are reporters worried if they dig too hard, they’ll not be granted access?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:08 pm 

I dunno, maybe they see him work every day and think he’s a pretty good football coach?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:17 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Is that still the case? Are reporters worried if they dig too hard, they’ll not be granted access?

Somewhat, yes.

"Made men" like Bouchette and Dulac got where they are because they will always report things the way the Rooneys want it reported.

A guy like Wexell, who has had his access revoked numerous times over the years, would absolutely worry about being overly critical. Especially since he's independent and his livelihood depends on it more than a guy like Bouchette or Dulac who in theory could just be moved to a new beat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:23 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I dunno, maybe they see him work every day and think he’s a pretty good football coach?

Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be held accountable for the things that are holding him back.

The Good is the Enemy of the Great.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:24 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Years ago Wexell said something along the lines of Tomlin being one of smartest human beings he had ever encountered. I'll let that sink for a couple fucking minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:26 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Somewhat, yes.

"Made men" like Bouchette and Dulac got where they are because they will always report things the way the Rooneys want it reported.

A guy like Wexell, who has had his access revoked numerous times over the years, would absolutely worry about being overly critical. Especially since he's independent and his livelihood depends on it more than a guy like Bouchette or Dulac who in theory could just be moved to a new beat.

Interesting and I appreciate your response. The only thing that doesn't add up is years ago Wexell was relentllessly on Cowher's ass(like many others) calling him out at every turn. So at that point, he didn't seem to fear losing access.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 pm 

redmanrumbles wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Years ago Wexell said something along the lines of Tomlin being one of smartest human beings he had ever encountered. I'll let that sink for a couple fucking minutes.

Wexell must not have met very many people.

If he meant in football, maybe.

If in general, lmao.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:28 pm 

redmanrumbles wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Somewhat, yes.

Interesting and I appreciate your response. The only thing that doesn't add up is years ago Wexell was relentllessly on Cowher's ass(like many others) calling him out at every turn. So at that point, he didn't seem to fear losing access.

1.) He hadn't lost his access yet.

2.) He still worked for a paper and not on his own.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:49 pm 

Makes sense I suppose. My gut instinct was that his mancrush on Tomlin was 100% sincere though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:09 pm 

redmanrumbles wrote:

Makes sense I suppose. My gut instinct was that his mancrush on Tomlin was 100% sincere though.

Oh it could be. I don't know for sure. I haven't talked to Wex since he tried to recruit me away from Clear Channel to write for his site and then balked when I asked to be paid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:15 pm 

fortythree wrote:
redmanrumbles wrote:

Oh it could be. I don't know for sure. I haven't talked to Wex since he tried to recruit me away from Clear Channel to write for his site and then balked when I asked to be paid.

LOL. I haven't been around in awhile.... so you're a reporter. Have/were you around Mike Tomlin a lot. Forgetting incentive to cover a certain way or made men, is my instinct correct that he is generally well liked by the local reporters. It's not a dig or trick question. If I really got along well with somebody I would probably want to give them benefit of the doubt. It's only human nature for most of us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:46 pm 

redmanrumbles wrote:

LOL. I haven't been around in awhile.... so you're a reporter. Have/were you around Mike Tomlin a lot. Forgetting incentive to cover a certain way or made men, is my instinct correct that he is generally well liked by the local reporters. It's not a dig or trick question. If I really got along well with somebody I would probably want to give them benefit of the doubt. It's only human nature for most of us.

Not a reporter anymore. I work in healthcare now.

My experiences with Tomlin came from 2009-2012.

I would consider him well liked, yes. You can tell when a coach isn't liked by those who cover him because they will magnify every little mistake made.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:58 pm 

fortythree wrote:
redmanrumbles wrote:

I would consider him well liked, yes. You can tell when a coach isn't liked by those who cover him because they will magnify every little mistake made.

Thanks man, appreciate it. I would say it goes the other way as well. You can tell when a coach IS well liked when every meaningful mistake is rationalized or excused. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:17 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Oh, are they able to ascertain what a great X’s and O’s guy he is by watching practice?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:18 pm 

fortythree wrote:
redmanrumbles wrote:

Like modern day politics....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:21 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

He sure is.

Came here as a defensive guru.

How'd you like our Steel Curtain-like performance this season??!!!

HELL YES!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:21 pm 

fortythree wrote:
redmanrumbles wrote:

David Todd, anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:28 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
fortythree wrote:
redmanrumbles wrote:

David Todd, anyone?

Haha my boy David.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:28 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
fortythree wrote:
redmanrumbles wrote:

Like modern day politics....

Well sometimes it's totally justified. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 pm 

I listen to Cook and Poni a lot on 93.7 The Fan and Ron Cook will wrestle people to the ground defending Tomlin. The only talking points he ever raises are (1) who are you going to replace him with and (2) he has the second most wins behind Belichick. He probably said the same thing when Cowher was the coach. It seems like yinzer thinking to me. I tend to focus more on the number of rings Tomlin has cost us because he is a fucking dummy. There isn’t a job, a business, anything, that can’t be improved.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:54 pm 

remember guys when steelers won bowl vs cards. when the Harrison run back for td was discussed the players all rallied around tomlin about how he had them blocking extra after practice picks? saying it was important and u never know! and they blocked like demons as instructed by tomlin on the amazing play..
wheres that tomlin? I thought we had a guy whos intense in detail and preparation..
don't think ive heard anything but the opposite about him since..and the teams on field hardly show discipline or attention to detail..

maybe tomlin has lost his edge and hunger and generally doesn't care as much.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:02 pm 

bam morris wrote:
remember guys when steelers won bowl vs cards. when the Harrison run back for td was discussed the players all rallied around tomlin about how he had them blocking extra after practice picks? saying it was important and u never know! and they blocked like demons as instructed by tomlin on the amazing play..
wheres that tomlin? I thought we had a guy whos intense in detail and preparation..
don't think ive heard anything but the opposite about him since..and the teams on field hardly show discipline or attention to detail..

maybe tomlin has lost his edge and hunger and generally doesn't care as much.

That defense was on another planet in terms of talent.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:07 pm 

KCSteeler wrote:
I listen to Cook and Poni a lot on 93.7 The Fan and Ron Cook will wrestle people to the ground defending Tomlin. The only talking points he ever raises are (1) who are you going to replace him with and (2) he has the second most wins behind Belichick. He probably said the same thing when Cowher was the coach. It seems like yinzer thinking to me. I tend to focus more on the number of rings Tomlin has cost us because he is a fucking dummy. There isn’t a job, a business, anything, that can’t be improved.

Fucking Ron Cook. Takes dumbfuckery and intellectual laziness to an entirely new level.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:08 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote: