It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's official -- Fichtner named OC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:35 am 

Kodiak wrote:
What I'd really like to see is an effective PA game again. Ben used to be great at it. With the receivers, OL and threat of Bell....I have ZERO idea why we aren't good at it.

And Ben allegedly saying he doesn't like PA because he doesn't like turning his back to the defense is another "WTF, Ben?!?" comment.

These type of comments really push me into the camp that Ben would rather not do something silly like run a QB sneak on 4th and inches.

Couple that with Ben's history of clock management via spiking the ball at foolish times........Ben ain't the strategic guru he's made out to be by many here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:36 pm 

R S wrote:
These type of comments really push me into the camp that Ben would rather not do something silly like run a QB sneak on 4th and inches.

I sincerely believe he's afraid of taking unnecessary blindside hits because of concussions. Next one probably leads him to retire.

Like I said, I don't think anyone really stops Ben from running the sneak other than Ben. His PA, on the rare occasions they run it, has been very half-assed. I will say he ran some really hard play fakes late in the year that were notable because they were so much better than it has been for years.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, given both are lower risk than holding the ball. Difference is he avoids the one by not calling it. Too much of a competitor to throw it away in the heat of the moment.

And, to be fair, for years when Ben tried to run PA he was turning around to 2-3 guys right in his face. The pass pro was just unbelievably bad. I suppose that would make one "not like to turn their back on the defense".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:43 pm 

I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down. Then we hear all this extra BS which really has nothing to do with the play. It should have been a short, confident statement, then get on with the goddamn gimme of a play.

Huge Ben supporter here, not any of the BS he was selling about the play. Or anyone else for that matter. Yet it happened twice in that fucking game somehow . Still unreal to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:54 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down.

Because there's really only one explanation - Ben doesn't want to run the sneak. He doesn't want to, as Haley would say, "get ear-holed" and take a concussion. He simply doesn't want to risk the potential helmet-to-helmet contact.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:05 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down.

Because there's really only one explanation - Ben doesn't want to run the sneak. He doesn't want to, as Haley would say, "get ear-holed" and take a concussion. He simply doesn't want to risk the potential helmet-to-helmet contact.

I agree with you. I think for a guy that loves to rain down so much praise on his OL, it's a spit in their face that he won't risk helmet to helmet contact for them on a handful CRUCIAL sneaks in a season, when they are hitting helmet to helmet every snap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:38 pm 

His first play call as an NFL OC?

WR screen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:22 am 

Tradition?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 am 

Hinestuff wrote:
I still can’t understand for the life of me why he couldn’t say to Tomlin, let me sneak it here, easy first down. Then we hear all this extra BS which really has nothing to do with the play. It should have been a short, confident statement, then get on with the goddamn gimme of a play.

Huge Ben supporter here, not any of the BS he was selling about the play. Or anyone else for that matter. Yet it happened twice in that fucking game somehow . Still unreal to me.

I agree, but even if Tomlin said no....a delayed pitch draw is massively fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 am 

Can we bring back Ben's deadly pump fake? Pretty sure I haven't seen one since the Arians days and it used to be sick. He has a top 3 offensive line so it's not like he doesn't have time in the pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:49 am 

86n96 wrote:
His first play call as an NFL OC?

WR screen.

There’s nothing wrong with a WR screen per se.

Just not something you call against a fast lateral defense.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next