It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:08 pm 

The NFL owes Outlaw and the Steelers a formal apology.

James had more control of the ball than Ertz did throughout the catch. It was a very similar play.
Good call on Ertz. Bad call on James. A Pats loss is the next best thing to Steelers Victory. Good job IGGLES!

Last edited by Stallworth16 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Jesse James was more of a TD than Ertz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:10 pm 

Ertz took three steps.

James didn’t.

They haven’t counted what James did as a football move since the rule was changed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 pm 

:lol: No.

Ertz took three steps before he was even contacted, then lunged and crossed the plane. James took 0 steps, was falling as he caught it. Not that hard to see the clear difference.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:22 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Ertz took three steps.

James didn’t.

They haven’t counted what James did as a football move since the rule was changed.

Yeah, this thread is beyond absurd.

Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch was a TD as was Ertz Catch

Stallworth16 wrote:
The NFL owes Outlaw and the Steelers a formal apology.

James had more control of the ball than Ertz did throughout the catch. It was a very similar play.
Good call on Ertz. Bad call on James. A Pats loss is the next best thing to Steelers Victory. Good job IGGLES!

Not even close. James never established as a runner.

TB wrote:

Ertz took three steps before he was even contacted, then lunged and crossed the plane. James took 0 steps, was falling as he caught it. Not that hard to see the clear difference.

I do agree the Ertz call was easy. If they overturned that, then well that's absurd.

But James went to a knee and made a COD move. By letter of rule, it was a catch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:23 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Ertz took three steps.

James didn’t.

This.

Just because Michaels and Collinsworth are fucking morons and don't know the rule doesn't mean Jesse's drop is suddenly a catch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:24 pm 

You guys seem to have all the answers when it comes to this.

You should apply with the NFL offices tomorrow morning, they could use some brainiacs.

Those two plays are incredibly similar, James even brought the ball into his chest before he extended.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:24 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
TB wrote:

I do agree the Ertz call was easy. If they overturned that, then well that's absurd.

But James went to a knee and made a COD move. By letter of rule, it was a catch.

No. It wasn't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 pm 

maybe that play in super bowl will make nfl fix the fucking rule...most likely not

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
TB wrote:

No. It wasn't.

I've explained it numerous times. I've posted the language of the rule. All you have done is say "Nope." Care to post the rule and explain how it wasn't a catch? I know you won't but Ill be waiting.

ChippedHamSandwich wrote:

You should apply with the NFL offices tomorrow morning, they could use some brainiacs.

Those two plays are incredibly similar, James even brought the ball into his chest before he extended.

No. James on his knees twisting to EZ. Iggles dude took like three steps.

fortythree wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
TB wrote:

No. It wasn't.

Not at all. James was going down as he made the catch, which is exactly the case the rule was written for.

Ertz was freely running after the catch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:28 pm 

You can argue that James made a football move...there is no doubt that Ertz made a football move...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:30 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
You can argue that James made a football move...there is no doubt that Ertz made a football move...

This is of course correct. I wouldn't say argue w/r/t James' catch (I think it is close), but impossible to say it was conclusive (which is what was needed).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:34 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:

Not at all. James was going down as he made the catch, which is exactly the case the rule was written for.

Yes. As dumb as the rule is James was not a runner and did not survive the ground as a catch. Ertz was a runner plain and simple.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:35 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Ertz took three steps.

James didn’t.

Yeah, this thread is beyond absurd.

Well, FWIW, I believe they SHOULD count what James did as a catch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:37 pm 

From page 31 of the official NFL rulebook:

Quote:
Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long
enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without
contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of
play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is
incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

James didn't stay upright enough to demonstrate he was a runner, was considered a "player going to the ground," lost control of the ball with it touching the ground before he regained control.

By rule, it was incomplete.

Now, whether the rule should be changed is a completely different argument.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:38 pm 

Rule was written for when a player catches ball while going to ground. James went to ground, then turned. James should've been a catch. Nfl realized their errors and started changing the way they call it. It's been called differently since James. So, way I see it, steelers should get half a sb tnite.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:40 pm 

Jackie Chiles wrote:

Yes. As dumb as the rule is James was not a runner and did not survive the ground as a catch. Ertz was a runner plain and simple.

Once again, far from clear that he was not a runner. The rule for becoming a runner is:

Quote:
A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps

He both tucked and turned up field. Therefore, James completed this part of this catch rule.

The only thing added by going to the ground is, that in addition to the above, the receiver going to the ground

Quote:
... must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

The initial contact was James' knee. James then pushed off that knee as he tried to go into the EZ. Thus, James survived initial contact.

Remember -- the replay booth must determine that James either did not (i) tuck it or turn up field OR (ii) not maintain control of the ball after his initial contact with the ground BASED ON IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE. I don't see how that was satisfied in the James' catch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:42 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
I've explained it numerous times. I've posted the language of the rule. All you have done is say "Nope." Care to post the rule and explain how it wasn't a catch? I know you won't but Ill be waiting.

He does not maintain possession of the ball because it hit the fucking ground.

EDIT:

TB answered this for me...

Quote:

Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long
enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without
contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of
play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is
incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:44 pm 

TB wrote:

Quote:

James didn't stay upright enough to demonstrate he was a runner, was considered a "player going to the ground," lost control of the ball with it touching the ground before he regained control.

By rule, it was incomplete.

Now, whether the rule should be changed is a completely different argument.

You missed the key word initial. James had a push off from his knee. That should satisfy the rule. You also forgot the issue of burden of proof. The question isn't whether you think it is a catch, or that James did not make enough of a move to establish being runner. The burden is irrefutable evidence. Given that the rule is subjective, unless it is clear cut (i.e., the player hits the ground on initial contact and the ball pops out), presumably you must go with the subjective judgment on the field. That is to say, you respect the burden of proof.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:44 pm 

People somehow don't see james make a move after his initial contact with the ground it's hilarious how they tow the party line bc that's what Romo said or whatever.

Anyway the sound of Pats fans complaining about calls in a loss for once is going to sound like sweet music.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:45 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:

He does not maintain possession of the ball because it hit the fucking ground.

EDIT:

TB answered this for me...

Quote:

Yeah read my post above and my response to TB. He is wrong and isn't parsing the language well or accounting for the burden of proof.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:45 pm 

Miter Saw wrote:
People somehow don't see james make a move after his initial contact with the ground it's hilarious how they tow the party line bc that's what Romo said or whatever.

Anyway the sound of Pats fans complaining about calls in a loss for once is going to sound like sweet music.

I’ve already said I believe what James did WAS a catch.

But that the NFL Has NEVER RULED that a player that did what James did was establishing himself as a runner.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:47 pm 

Miter Saw wrote:

Yeah. It is truly amazing. On top of that, they completely ignore the burden of proof. 43 hates Jesse James for...reasons...so his argument here is largely agenda driven. I think everyone else was just toeing the line of NFL reporters, even though the NFL reporters also failed to parse the language or the video.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:49 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:

I’ve already said I believe what James did WAS a catch.

But that the NFL Has NEVER RULED that a player that did what James did was establishing himself as a runner.

You have at least been consistent that you believe by letter it was a catch, but that the NFL has ruling precedent. Of course, you've acknowledged that precedent may not be as strong as you state. Nevertheless, I think you have been rather honest in the debate and haven't ignored comments. I've enjoyed the debate with you as a result.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:03 am 

The James call is still complete horseshit. We got rooked. Made a catch, made a football move, survived the initial contact with the ground. Broke the plane.

The big difference between James and Ertz’s catch was Ertz caught the bobble too. The ball is allowed to hit the ground if you have full control which Ertz did. Then it popped up and he still caught it.

You could argue they are different from that aspect too, if you want to go down the rabbit hole of he didn’t survive the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:13 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:

Yeah. It is truly amazing. On top of that, they completely ignore the burden of proof. 43 hates Jesse James for...reasons...so his argument here is largely agenda driven. I think everyone else was just toeing the line of NFL reporters, even though the NFL reporters also failed to parse the language or the video.

My agenda is reality driven. James stumbles all over himself and doesn't make a football move. The Ertz play tonight was not even remotely similar.

This is a fucking stupid thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:13 am 

fortythree wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:

My agenda is reality driven. James stumbles all over himself and doesn't make a football move. The Ertz play tonight was not even remotely similar.

This is a fucking stupid thread.

It is stupid mostly due to your contributions...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:14 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:

Says the guy who was already proven wrong and is now refusing to admit it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:19 am 

fortythree wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:

You don't understand words. Like, for example the word "proven" or "wrong." It likely explains why you couldn't follow the words posted above. One again, feel free to make a cogent argument to the contrary, but making good arguments is outside your ability. Being snarky, on the other hand...

Post subject: Re: Jesse James Catch vs Ertz Catch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 am 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/2/4/1 ... super-bowl

Don’t agree, but thought I’d post to jar the memory of the video.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:26 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Ertz took three steps.

James didn’t.

That's exactly right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:27 am 

fortythree wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:

Listening to a former NFL Receiver (Colinsworth) and QB (Romo) plus Al Michaels who has watched more sporting events than maybe anyone get confused about how a catch is called should tell you that really nothing is “proven”.

That’s why there continues to be a debate...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:08 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
Jackie Chiles wrote:

Once again, far from clear that he was not a runner. The rule for becoming a runner is:

Quote:
A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps

He both tucked and turned up field. Therefore, James completed this part of this catch rule.

The only thing added by going to the ground is, that in addition to the above, the receiver going to the ground

Quote:
... must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

The initial contact was James' knee. James then pushed off that knee as he tried to go into the EZ. Thus, James survived initial contact.

Remember -- the replay booth must determine that James either did not (i) tuck it or turn up field OR (ii) not maintain control of the ball after his initial contact with the ground BASED ON IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE. I don't see how that was satisfied in the James' catch.

Zeke, you're completely misinterpreting this and missing the point.

To be considered a "runner" you actually have to be taking steps. The key part of the bolded above that you quoted is "taking additional steps." You can only take additional steps if you've taken steps to begin with. That is the intent. Catch, one step, two step, and then making what we call a football move (tucking the ball away, warding off a defender, turning upfield, or taking additional steps). You do that, you're a runner.

James took zero steps. He was falling to the ground onto his knees as he was attempting to make the catch. He was literally falling to the ground while the ball was still in the air. It doesn't matter if he tried to tuck it as he was going to the ground, or was lunging out with the football, by rule, he was going to the ground. He was not a runner. As such, he had to maintain control of the ball through the contact with the ground. He didn't control it, it hit the ground, it was not a catch by NFL rule. End of story.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:28 am 

ChippedHamSandwich wrote:

not really similar. James never ran with the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:38 am 

I’ll never forgive JJ for that play. He wasn’t touched. The doofus tripped over his own feet and still lost control of the ball going over the goal line in a must win game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:42 am 

I started this thread because I'm a proud Homer sometimes. I grew up in the 70s and 80s when Jesse James Catch was undisputed, Before they started fucking with the rules. I think there is an argument to be made on both sides of Jesse James Catch, with the current rules. Also, I thought Ertz did not have as solid a hold on the ball as James did through the catch.

Whichever side you fall on, most of us agree that the rules about what make a Catch are fucked up. Roger Goodell himself talked directly about the Jesse James Catch recently:

Here's the full article:
https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-st ... -114369943

Last edited by Stallworth16 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:47 am 

Didnt read the entire thread, i thought it was obvious live..Ertz easily established himself as a runner, then dove and broke the plane while JJ the idiot didnt establish himself as a runner..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:52 am 

TB wrote:

To be considered a "runner" you actually have to be taking steps. The key part of the bolded above that you quoted is "taking additional steps." You can only take additional steps if you've taken steps to begin with. That is the intent. Catch, one step, two step, and then making what we call a football move (tucking the ball away, warding off a defender, turning upfield, or taking additional steps). You do that, you're a runner.

James took zero steps. He was falling to the ground onto his knees as he was attempting to make the catch. He was literally falling to the ground while the ball was still in the air. It doesn't matter if he tried to tuck it as he was going to the ground, or was lunging out with the football, by rule, he was going to the ground. He was not a runner. As such, he had to maintain control of the ball through the contact with the ground. He didn't control it, it hit the ground, it was not a catch by NFL rule. End of story.

A more reasonable point, but still not a winning one. Words have to be interpreted within the context of the surrounding words. Here, there is a three part rule for a catch. The bolded above is part three. In part two, the rule provides that two feet or any other body part. Therefore, it would not be unreasonable to substitute "any other body part" for second foot (i.e., once part two was complete).

The rejoinder to this is that second foot was written into the rule; not completion of part two. But there are problems with this reading. Principally, this rule is a general rule for a catch. If we really believe that the third condition can only be satisfied by the ability to make a football move after a second step has been taken, then it would seem that no sliding catches could ever be catches unless the receiver steps up to take a step. But that is absurd! We understand that the receiver can make a football move after "any other body part" touches the ground, and therefore the receiver satisfies part three.

With all of that said, the NFL rule book is poorly drafted. It is unclear what circumstances Part III would apply to that would not render going to the ground rule superfluous.

Finally, you seem to be strawmannirg (likely unintentionally) my argument. James didn't just tuck the ball as he was going to the ground. My argument is that James (a) went to the ground on one knee to make the catch, and then (b) changed his body, and extended the ball. Thus, his initial contact is separated from part (b). Based on the modifier "initial" in the NFL rulebook, the existence of (b) in the James' fact pattern should lead to the conclusion that he did in fact survive the ground.

Once more, none of the rules are clearly written. But it appears on balance that the (i) the League got it wrong and (ii) there is enough subjective integration that the standard of review should've controlled this particular case.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:29 am 

James fell to one knee, Ertz had two feet down.

By rule both did what was needed to establish themselves as a runner. Ertz tucked, took steps and reached for the end zone, James tucked and then reached for the endzone - completing one of the designated tasks to fully be a runner.

Both were catches... the only difference is the NFL incorrectly attempts to invoke this going to the ground rule section which is not needed - considering they already establish a clear ruling on what becomes of a runner... I mean why put into the first part of the ruling about one knee, or one body part if you are just going to remove them later with "going to the ground"...

It's over lawyered nonsense, and the NFL looks stupid time and time again because of it.

Last edited by ToddHaleysNineIron on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:36 am 

And just so we have the first part before Item 1. Here it is

Quote:
A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
maintains control of the ball after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, until he has the ball long enough to clearly become a runner. A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps (see 3-2-7-Item 2).
Note: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.

If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body to the ground, it is not a catch.

The part "touches the ground inbounds with both feet, or any part of his body" is simply not needed if you are going to always trump it with "GOING TO THE GROUND". The only way going to the ground is invoked is if the above is not fulfilled.

As written - James fulfilled all of this. His knee went down and he had possession... and if you don't think so - see the sideline catches AB pulls off when he's got about a millisecond of control as both toes touch to see the standard given for "control". To determine if he has the ball long enough to become a runner, they don't use "time" or even "steps" but they clearly define what a player must do - one of which is tuck the ball away, or turn up field. James clearly turns up field because that's the only way to get the end zone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:00 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
TB wrote:

A more reasonable point, but still not a winning one. Words have to be interpreted within the context of the surrounding words. Here, there is a three part rule for a catch. The bolded above is part three. In part two, the rule provides that two feet or any other body part. Therefore, it would not be unreasonable to substitute "any other body part" for second foot (i.e., once part two was complete).

The rejoinder to this is that second foot was written into the rule; not completion of part two. But there are problems with this reading. Principally, this rule is a general rule for a catch. If we really believe that the third condition can only be satisfied by the ability to make a football move after a second step has been taken, then it would seem that no sliding catches could ever be catches unless the receiver steps up to take a step. But that is absurd! We understand that the receiver can make a football move after "any other body part" touches the ground, and therefore the receiver satisfies part three.

With all of that said, the NFL rule book is poorly drafted. It is unclear what circumstances Part III would apply to that would not render going to the ground rule superfluous.

Finally, you seem to be strawmannirg (likely unintentionally) my argument. James didn't just tuck the ball as he was going to the ground. My argument is that James (a) went to the ground on one knee to make the catch, and then (b) changed his body, and extended the ball. Thus, his initial contact is separated from part (b). Based on the modifier "initial" in the NFL rulebook, the existence of (b) in the James' fact pattern should lead to the conclusion that he did in fact survive the ground.

Once more, none of the rules are clearly written. But it appears on balance that the (i) the League got it wrong and (ii) there is enough subjective integration that the standard of review should've controlled this particular case.

James catch could have been ruled a TD, but is reasonably not ruled a TD according to language. Only move he made was twisting and lunging for the goal. Problem
Is that it is possible to argue that the lunge and going to the ground could not be separated from one another bc he "swiveled" on his knees.

Ertz took three running steps and so unlike James it is impossible to argue otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:09 am 

fortythree wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Ertz took three steps.

James didn’t.

This.

Just because Michaels and Collinsworth are fucking morons and don't know the rule doesn't mean Jesse's drop is suddenly a catch.

Is their anyone in sports media that wasn’t personally nice to you that you do like?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:12 am 

That we're having this argument shows what a bad rule this is.

And point of fact is...the rule punishes a player for trying to make a play.

That's just dumb...except, of course, to the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:30 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Ertz took three steps.

James didn’t.

This.

Is their anyone in sports media that wasn’t personally nice to you that you do like?

I actually like Collinsworth most of the time, but he was a moron last night.

Officials actually fairly officiated both Eagles' TDs last night, and he just kept going on and on about them like he was a Bob Kraft's lover or something.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:52 am 

Still Lit wrote:

James catch could have been ruled a TD, but is reasonably not ruled a TD according to language. Only move he made was twisting and lunging for the goal. Problem
Is that it is possible to argue that the lunge and going to the ground could not be separated from one another bc he "swiveled" on his knees.

Ertz took three running steps and so unlike James it is impossible to argue otherwise.

The language of the first part of the rule is pretty clear. He only needs one move, and what you describe as twisting and lunging I would think to almost anyone not trying to mangle the language as satisfying "turning upfield". Turning upfield is a pretty easy interpretation - we don't need anything else, we don't need to differentiate between a swivel and a fall, or anything like that - did James turn upfield with the ball... I think it's a pretty clear yes... especially considering he caught the ball with his back to the end zone.

As written - the only time "going the ground" should be invoked is if the player making the catch does not satisfy the "becoming the runner" rule, James did - and so it should have been complete.

The "going to the ground" is for a player making a catch, coming down, and falling to the ground without satisfying the part of becoming a runner, say a sideline catch. If James had caught the ball falling to a knee, and then fell directly to the ground - THEN we could invoke the going to the ground rule because he didn't turn upfield or tuck the ball... but because he did - he instantly becomes a runner based on how the rule is written.

The problem here is the NFL mangled its own rule - and uses "going to the ground" far too often when the rule as written clearly determines when section 1 should be invoked. They ignored, and have done so, often just randomly, the first part of the rule to get to section 1.

Again - if while extending the ball over the goal line - a Patriot player knocks the ball out of his hand - the "going to the ground" can't be invoked and I would bet it would be considered a catch and a touchdown because it crossed the goal line.

Last edited by ToddHaleysNineIron on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:53 am 

fortythree wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Ertz took three steps.

James didn’t.

This.

I have a feeling Michales and Collinsworth expected the officials to overturn it and they were getting out in front of the outrage towards the NFL by trying to rationalize why it wasn't a catch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:11 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
TB wrote:

The real key for changing the rule is that no one was sure if that was a catch. Until the announcement no one was sure.

I am more glad that the clement catch was not over ruled. I hate the Zapurder-like treatment of catches. " Look it shifts half an inch as he is switching hands. It must be a bobble!!"

I will add that James did not fall as a continuation of the catch. He twisted and lunged. Go to the NCAA rule for a catch and force the replay folks to learn what indisputable evidence means.