It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trade Down in Round 2 Mock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:28 am 

Trade down in the 2nd with the New York Jets for picks R3(70) and R3(75).

1. Harold Landry OLB Boston College
Lot of buzz has him falling because of his bum ankle he got late in the year. If that is the case and he is sitting here for the Steelers they CANNOT pass on him. He is exactly the person I want to replace Bud Dupree. I loved Landry ever since his sophomore year at Bosoton College. His game versus Florida State blew me out of the water; he was dominating and I said I knew this kid was going to be a 1st Round draft pick. Great against the run, very quick, and can really bend around the tackle.

3. Darius Leonard ILB South Carolina State
Leonard is a tackling machine and can help the Steelers replace the speed lost with the Ryan Shazier injury. Leonard really started to heat up down in Mobile later in the week and played a really good game. He impressed me with his ability to stay with the RB out of the backfield on a wheel route.

3. Holton Hill CB Texas
Hill is another personal favorite of mine and I think he could be a stud. While this somewhat of a luxury pick, you can never have enough good CBs on the roster. Hill is a very good athlete who isn't afraid to get his nose dirty in the run game. Artie Burns remains a question mark going into his 3rd season and his lack of physicality this season was appalling.

3. Fred Warner ILB BYU
Warner is another personal favotire of mine, I had him down as a 5th Round pick before the Senior Bowl. Like Leonard, his overall athleticism and ability to run to the ball stood out to me and he is decent in coverage as well. I think he could be very much like former BYU Cougar Kyle Van Noy who has played well for the Patriots this season as a do it all type of LB. Outside of Vince Williams I don't think there is really anyone that worthy of a roster spot at ILB. My only complaint is that I would like to see Warner play with a little more nasty at times.

5. Olasunkanmi Adeniyi OLB Toledo
Drama's guy but I probably love him just as much. I see so much potential for this kid and he plays so nasty. I think he could be a steal in this draft class. With Dupree likely gone after next year, Adeniyi can bump some guys off this current roster and provide better depth and upside.

5. Justin Jones NT North Carolina State
The other NT from NC State who had a good week in Mobile. This is probably to low for him but right now this is where he is projected to go. Shorter but stout in run defense, something this unit needs more help in considering the beating this defense took at times throughout the year on the ground.

7. Jeremy Reaves FS South Alabama
While Reaves is a little undersized he has a good overall game which the Steelers value in their safeties. This guy has a chip on his shoulder, he just needs a team where he can make his mark. Reaves can start on special teams and slowly learn the defense.

7. Bret Toth OT Army
Toth supposedly looked great down at the Senior Bowl and Mike Munchak is the best in the business and will love to mold this guy into another stud at tackle. The Steelers will be losing Hubbard this offseason and he has played great in relief of Marcus Gilbert. He's earned himself a nice payday that the Steelers won't be able to match.

UDFA/
Keith Ford RB Texas A&M
Another personal favorite, I think both Ford is overshadowed in a really good RB class. Ford is a bruising back with decent speed and I think he's a hidden gem of this draft class.

D'Ernest Johnson RB South Florida
Another personal favorite, I see Johnson as a guy very similar to James White of New England. While he doesn't have quite the receiving pedigree of White, I think Johnson will be a good change of pace guy for the Steelers. He has a really good first step and runs really hard for a smaller back.

Tavares Martin WR Washington State
Martin surprisingly entered the draft instead of transferring which was his original plan. He has decent size with good burst and speed. He needs to answers some questions about how he was dismissed in December but if everything checks out he could be a steal.

Post subject: Re: Trade Down in Round 2 Mock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:52 am 

I am not a fan of Harold Landry and would not draft him. He is weak and has not progressed since he was a freshman. 1/2 of his career sacks came as a freshman. He does not have the strength to hold the edge. One trick pony as a speed rusher. If you do not like Dupree then you will hate Landry. He reminds me of a young Gildon with an amazing first step and then nothing. I do not think he has the body to add much more muscle

I might dip back into one of your other drafts and get Hercules Mataafa. I like his motor. Needs time to learn his craft.

That being said I like most of the other picks. I will consider the draft a success if they get Darius Leonard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:01 am 

Really like that one Smithessmokin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm 

I wouldn’t be upset, but I’d have to go with a Safety in the 3rd, maybe the kid from Penn State.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:56 am 

Quote:
7. Bret Toth OT Army
Toth supposedly looked great down at the Senior Bowl and Mike Munchak is the best in the business and will love to mold this guy into another stud at tackle. The Steelers will be losing Hubbard this offseason and he has played great in relief of Marcus Gilbert. He's earned himself a nice payday that the Steelers won't be able to match.

In case you missed it: Toth won't be able to report to a team for two years... this may affect your decision to draft him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:55 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:
7. Bret Toth OT Army

In case you missed it: Toth won't be able to report to a team for two years... this may affect your decision to draft him.

I actually took that into the consideration. The OL right now is probably set for the next two years, but after that Pouncey, Foster and Gilbert will have contracts that are expiring which could be a time for Toth to step in.