It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random Mocks...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 pm 

IMHO, Chad Thomas should be there in the 5th round for their pick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 pm 

I think Rolland-Jones the better prospect at or around the same RND.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:12 pm 

Darius Leonard as a 1st round pick... for the Pittsburgh Steelers of the Colbert era?

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Slightly over aged (5th year senior)
Small school competition

not their style

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 am 

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers seven-round mock draft: March 6

1. ILB Leighton Vander Esch of Boise State — The nightmare scenario for the Steelers is the top four inside linebackers being selected before they draft at No. 28. Roquan Smith of Georgia and Tremaine Edmunds of Virginia Tech will be long gone, but Vander Esch and Rashaan Evans are players who might be available. Evans was the pick on mock 1.0, but if he’s taken by another linebacker-needy team before the Steelers pick, they’ll have to move on to the next prospect. They’ll then have to hope Vander Esch slides to them.

He is one of the hot prospects after testing very well at the combine. He undoubtedly helped his draft stock, but starting for only one season at a school like Boise State could push him toward the end of the first round. Because he’s the fourth inside linebacker with a first-round grade, the Steelers should pick him and insert him into the starting lineup right away as the replacement for Ryan Shazier. He was productive in his only season as a starter, showing an ability to run sideline to sideline. He also showed the requisite skills necessary to be effective covering tight ends and running backs in the passing game. Of course, the Steelers would have to break their tradition of investing No. 1 picks in players from Power 5 conferences.

General manager Kevin Colbert has never been shy about his desire to draft players who faced the highest level of competition in college. However, faced with the need to replace Shazier as well as Vander Esch’s potential to develop, the Steelers might be willing to change their thinking. If Evans and Vander Esch are gone by the time the Steelers pick, then they’ll likely move on to another position and look to draft an inside linebacker later in the draft. The other prospects on the inside are not as complete as the four who are projected to go in Round 1.

Also considered: S Ronnie Harrison of Alabama

2. S Jessie Bates of Wake Forest — The Steelers must improve the back end of their defense, and selecting Bates would give them a chance to do that. He fits the profile of a player the Steelers like to draft early. He’s an ascending player with his best football in front of him. Bates left Wake Forest after his redshirt sophomore season and won’t turn 22 until October. New defensive backs coach Tom Bradley would get a raw player he can develop and mold to his liking. Bates is good enough right now to step in and start as a rookie if the Steelers cut Mike Mitchell. Or, if they keep Mitchell, Bates can add versatility as a top reserve and take over starting duties in 2019.

Also considered: CB Donte Jackson of LSU

3. RB Akrum Wadley of Iowa — With Le’Veon Bell likely entering his final season with the Steelers, the team can look for someone to pair with James Conner for a potential tandem in 2019. Why draft a running back this high this year? Well, given Bell’s past injuries and his threat to hold out into the season or retire, the Steelers must protect themselves. Even if Bell reports on time and plays a full season, drafting a prospect would give the Steelers a better option than Fitzgerald Toussaint, or someone like him, as the No. 3 running back next season.

Wadley is a smallish back with potential as a rotational player. He is not big enough to be an every-down back, but he could thrive as a change-of-pace back as a runner and a receiver on third downs. He doesn’t have to play a big role as a rookie, but if Bell leaves after the 2018 season, the Steelers can get a sneak peek at what a running back rotation with Wadley might look like. More teams around the league are going to a rotation rather than a feature back. It certainly worked last season for the Patriots and the Eagles, as well as several other playoff teams.

Also considered: WR Anthony Miller of Memphis

4. No pick

5a. (via San Francisco) — TE Troy Fumagalli of Wisconsin — The Steelers took a long look at all of the tight ends at the combine, a sign they’d like to add a rookie to the group in 2018. That makes sense considering Jesse James is entering the final year of his rookie contract and Vance McDonald struggled with injuries last season. Fumagalli improved as a blocker last season and can get open against zone defenses. He’s a good solid option as a No. 2 tight end if James is not signed to a second contract.

Also considered: TE Tyler Conklin of Central Michigan

5b. — LB Shaquem Griffin of Central Florida — The Steelers would like to add more high-character players to the mix, a trend they started with last year’s draft. In Griffin, the Steelers get perhaps the most inspirational player in the 2018 draft class. Griffin had his left hand amputated when he was 4 due to a birth defect, but he hasn’t let that affect his drive to compete at the highest level on the football field. At 6 feet 1, 227 pounds, Griffin doesn’t have a true position right now. It will be up to a creative defensive coordinator to figure out the best way to use him. Enter Keith Butler. Instead of using slot corner Mike Hilton as a blitzer so often the Steelers could now use Griffin in that role. Or instead of bringing Vince Williams so often as a blitzer, just insert Griffin and let him do damage as a pass rusher. Griffin can be a joker of sorts, a player who can fill a variety of roles. At the very least, he will add an immediate impact as a special teams player and what Mike Tomlin refers to as an “energy bringer.”

Also considered: S Troy Apke of Penn State

7a. (via New York Giants) WR Quadree Henderson of Pitt — The Steelers could use another slot receiver to compete for a roster spot. Eli Rogers is a restricted free agent and his availability for training camp is in doubt due to a knee injury suffered in the playoff game against Jacksonville. Henderson would provide an immediate upgrade to the kickoff and punt return units while possibly making an impact as a situational role player on offense. Yes, I know the Steelers haven’t had a lot of luck with diminutive niche players in recent years. But Dri Archer and Chris Rainey were taken in the third and fifth rounds, respectively. Taking a chance on Henderson in the seventh round isn’t a big gamble. The Steelers are set with their top three receivers. It’s not as if they need him to be anything more than a gadget player on offense. And maybe his impact as a returner is well worth the pick by season’s end.

Also considered: WR Justin Watson of Penn

7b. DL Matt Dickerson of UCLA — The Steelers can afford to add some depth along the defensive line and a developmental prospect such as Dickerson could pay dividends down the road. Dickerson never played to his potential in college due to injuries, but Tom Bradley coached him, and he could develop in time under new defensive line coach Karl Dunbar if his injury issues are behind him. The Steelers took a chance on Daniel McCullers in the sixth round in 2014. That didn’t work out, but maybe this late-round pick will.

Also considered: DL Lowell Lotuleilei of Utah

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1803070039

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:31 am 

uhhh that would be a new tv kind of draft for me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:30 am 

McShay's most recent shows his lack of any research.

Quote:
28. Pittsburgh Steelers

Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina*

Hurst is a big (6-4, 250), athletic target who can contribute immediately. A former pro baseball player, Hurst has good ball skills and can help stretch the seam for Ben Roethlisberger and that potent Pittsburgh offense. He's also a good blocker.

I would challenge him to find a time when Mike Tomlin drafted anyone over 21 in the 1st round. No team in their right mind would draft a 25 year old in the 1st round.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:17 pm 

Andy Reid did it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:21 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
uhhh that would be a new tv kind of draft for me

I don't know if I'd be chucking the TV, but I certainly haven't bought into LVE in the first yet. Donte Jackson could be a pretty good CB, and if the plan is to move Sutton to S, then maybe you go that route. You can do better than Wadley in r3. Griffin would be great at that spot, and Dree is a hometown guy with some serious open field moves. Not the worst ever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 pm 

Like the first two picks solid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 pm 

BY DAVE BRYAN MARCH 7, 2018 AT 06:30 PM

Now that we have 2018 NFL Scouting Combine behind us it’s time for me to release my second Pittsburgh Steelers mock draft of the offseason. Unlike my first mock draft that I posted right after the Senior Bowl, I did not use Fanspeak. This time, I reverted back to the old school method of placing players I think the Steelers might like in the rounds I think they might could be drafted.

As usual, I urge you to critique the players I have in this mock and not the round I have them being drafted. It makes for a better exercise for all of us if you do that. Tell me what you like, dislike or hope to learn more about each player.

Round 1 – Pick No. 28 Overall – S Justin Reid – Stanford – Reid is an incredibly smart and position flexible player with an NFL bloodline to boot. If the Steelers address the inside linebacker position during free agency with a higher-dollar player like I think they might, it will be hard not to mock a free safety type to them in the first-round up until the draft takes place. Reid, who had an excellent combine, figures to be a late first or early second-round selection. He played seven different positions during his career at Stanford — right cornerback, left cornerback, strong safety, free safety, nickel, dime and outside linebacker. The Steelers love drafting players with position flexibility and to top things off, Reid’s 134.2 SPARQ score will also have Pittsburgh’s attention. Reid has the potential to be the Steelers next free safety for several years to come.

Round 2 – Pick No. 60 Overall – OLB Josh Sweat – Florida State – The Steelers need depth at the outside linebacker position and especially behind Bud Dupree, who might not be back after the 2018 season if he doesn’t have his fifth year option picked up this offseason. While Dupree is certain to start in 2018 on the left side, having a developmental edge rusher such as Sweat behind him would be ideal. Will he last to the Steelers in the second? It’s hard to say after he posted a 142.4 SPARQ score at the combine. Personally, I think Sweat might wind up being drafted somewhere late in Round 2 so that’s why I put him in this mock. He has played on his feet some at FSU and that would help with his conversion to a 3-4 outside linebacker. Sweat finishes his college career with 14.5 sacks and 138 tackles in 32 games. His injury history might be the reason he falls. I have to think the Steelers will be present at his pro day.

Round 3 – Pick No. 92 Overall – ILB Genard Avery – Memphis – Avery was used as a hybrid linebacker at Memphis and thus lined up on the edge and off-the-ball. He’s a pure athlete and his off-the-ball tape is quite fascinating. He can play out in space well and while there aren’t many instances of him covering down the field, he’s a fluid enough of an athlete to do that. He tested great at the combine and while he’s probably not day-one starter material, he potentially could be one at the weak inside position and a special teams demon and backup as a rookie. Avery was a two-time first-team all-AAC selection at linebacker. He finished his career second in career tackles-for-loss, with 45.5. His 21.5 career sacks are third in school history, including 8.5 in 2017. A bit of a reach here, maybe? It’s possible.

Round 5 – Pick No. 148 Overall – RB Kalen Ballage – Arizona State – The Steelers could use a third running back behind Le’Veon Bell and James Conner in 2018 and Ballage would likely be a good developmental runner. The 123.4 SPARQ score he posted art the combine should make Ballage attractive to the Steelers and with so many good running backs in this year’s draft class, he might just fall to the fifth round. Ballage had 1,984 rushing yards and 27 rushing touchdowns in college on 450 total carries. He also caught 82 passes for another 684 yards and 2 touchdowns at Arizona State.

Round 5 – Pick No. 165 Overall – WR Jester Weah – Pittsburgh – Weah is a bigger bodied wide receiver with some speed. While not the field-stretcher that Martavis Bryant is, he can still get separation down the field and he catches with his hands. He had a small drop problem at Pittsburgh but is good after the catch and in traffic. He didn’t however, make many jaw-dropping catches in college from what I have seen. He’s a more than willing blocker, a physical player and thus should be able to contribute on special teams as a rookie.

Round 7 – Pick No. 220 Overall – TE Durham Smythe – Notre Dame – The Steelers appear to be set at their top-two tight end spots right now. Unless Vance McDonald or Jesse James are cut, they shouldn’t address the position during the first two days of the draft. If the Steelers draft a tight end at all this year, I think it might be in the sixth or seventh round and one that excels as a blocker more than a pass catcher. Smythe appears to fit the bill on tape I have watched of him. He only had 28 catches for 381 yards during his college career but did register 6 touchdowns. If drafted by the Steelers, he should be able to play on special teams if he can make the 53-man roster.

Round 7 – Pick No. 246 Overall – NT Joshua Frazier – Alabama – Frazier is a developmental defensive tackle and one new Steelers defensive line coach Karl Dunbar knows well. The Steelers will likely need to draft another defensive tackle this year with Daniel McCullers unlikely to be back in 2018. If the Steelers address this position with a cheap free agent, then perhaps they will draft a defensive end type to challenge L.T. Walton instead.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/br ... g-combine/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next