It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:26 pm 

On with Lolley & Matt Williamson

I am going to paraphrase as best I can:

• Steelers should think twice about paying Bell top dollar because the deal should be judged on "how much he helps Ben Roethliberger" and that, lately, "he hasn't been as much help to him as he used to be."

• Said he is interested to see what the new OC and his plans will be for not only Bell usage but 'hopefully moving away from being so heavily isolation-based instead of scheme-based.' When asked to elaborate, Cosell said that , in contrast to, say, Shanahan or McVay who use multiple routes at multiple levels of the defense to work together to get open and who use one play to build to the next play and the next play, Pittsburgh's offense was "almost totally based on receivers winning 1 on 1 matchups with the guy in front of them'. He said, "that's fine when you're talking about Antonio Brown' and 'they were pretty good' but that "the scheme element has to improve because it makes life easier for the QB". Also mentioned that the same can be said for Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay's offense at times, although Rodgers, despite otherworldly tools, leaves a lot of plays on the field even when schemed. (I would argue that it might be true for their offense between the 20s, but GB seems more organized and schemed in the red zone)

Pardon me, but it was the first time I've ever heard anyone on the radio or a podcast say this outside of our show. I almost cried, because it was the first moment I realized that I'm not alone in the universe. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:05 pm 

Cosell is the best judge-of teams and players out there

He watches eons of film and his game breakdowns are awesome

You should break out into the big time and do a show with him

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:25 pm 

Too funny :lol:

I actually listened to that today B2B! As he was saying that I was like you are preaching to the choir. Amen. And then I thought somewhere B2B is smiling.

This is what people don't get about Haley, he really was limiting this offense. All of that talent to work with and he didn't really make it easier for them, no, he made it harder for them to succeed.

I loved that quote he had (Cosell) where he said Rodgers was like a jazz musican and Brady was more like a concert pianist. Anyway, I heard that today on Steeler Nation Radio here in the 'Burgh and then I had a glimpse into Hall of Fame voters and it made me almost vomit.

Did you happen to hear Lolley & Williamson interview that Cincy guy, their Ed Bouchette? They were talking about some Cincy guys that were deserving of the Hall of Fame. This guy was talking about how Geno Atkins is a first ballot hall of fame? WTF? I like Atkins a lot but he is not THAT great. And then the guy talked about Ken Anderson and Ken Riley. Anderson I can sort of see as he was the prototype for the west coast offense QB. Bill Walsh and the 49ers owe a great debt to the time that Walsh spent with Anderson in Cincinnati. Back in the mid-70s you saw those two fully realize Walsh's offense, you saw Anderson with the high passer rating, with the high completion percentage, etc. So, yeah, I can understand Anderson but Riley? He played 15 years and had 65 INTs, which is very good. But he never made the Pro Bowl, was never voted to anything really. I thought he should have had at least one Pro Bowl/All Star nod for that one season where he had 9 INTs but no joy. How can somebody like that ever be a Hall of Famer?

I love when you get to read, see, hear these other beat writers, HOF voters and who they think is deserving. It is crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 pm 

Cosell is my favorite analyst. Not a mouthpiece saying scripted stuff. The show he does with the Philly postgame guy Fran Duffy is high quality football talk.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:00 am 

I sure hope the offense improves now that big, bad Haley is gone. The logical part of my brain though, despite my best efforts to subdue it at times, breaks through in this case telling me that there's probably reasons for this highly paid OC to do the things that he does.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:56 am 

Lynch wrote:
I sure hope the offense improves now that big, bad Haley is gone. The logical part of my brain though, despite my best efforts to subdue it at times, breaks through in this case telling me that there's probably reasons for this highly paid OC to do the things that he does.

Every offensive coordinator is paid big $$.

Does that mean all of them are good?

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:05 am 

Quote:
I loved that quote he had (Cosell) where he said Rodgers was like a jazz musican and Brady was more like a concert pianist.

I was thinking Ben is kind of Eddie Van Halen in that scenario. Capable of rock & roll pyrotechnics and also comfortable with the classics.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:10 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Cosell is my favorite analyst. Not a mouthpiece saying scripted stuff. The show he does with the Philly postgame guy Fran Duffy is high quality football talk.

He is a south jersey resident being at NFL Films, ESPN now (his show is hot) and he's all over the main Fantasy Football podcasts.

I listen to at least 2-3 different takes of him a week. He's excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:55 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:
I loved that quote he had (Cosell) where he said Rodgers was like a jazz musican and Brady was more like a concert pianist.

I was thinking Ben is kind of Eddie Van Halen in that scenario. Capable of rock & roll pyrotechnics and also comfortable with the classics.

One could also say he’s like Eddie in another way.

Both have tons of natural talent but peaked early in their careers. Relying too much on that natural talent.

With Eddie alcohol & blow played a big factor in his mailing it in for so long.

With Ben it’s likely a touch too much laziness

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:36 pm 

You think Ben peaked early in his career, yet he's had 2 of his best passing years out of the last 3 and 3 of his best out of the last 5... and one could argue he did that without a game plan or playcalling or scheme that really maximized his talents.