It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Agency
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:37 pm 

Quote:
Kenny Vaccaro hoped the New Orleans Saints would offer him a contract extension before he became a free agent this year. But, with two weeks remaining before free agency begins, the Saints aren't planning on re-signing their 2013 first-round pick, according to multiple sources at the NFL combine in Indianapolis. http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... thy_e.html
Hmmm.... ain't gotta trade no one just gotta come up with some legitimate scratch [in a cap challenged season] for this guy. I'd certainly touch bases with dudes agent. Get a ballpark figure and see what I could do.

Quote:
Source: Running back Jonathan Stewart has been cut by the Carolina Panthers.. https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/sta ... 6762071040
I'd be interested in Stewart as a #2 RB.

Quote:
Anthony Hitchens seeking deals around $10 million a year. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sean ... l-combine/
Too rich for the Steelers...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:01 pm 

i think the only FA they sign is an ILB early

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:46 am 

I'd be thrilled if they could land an Avery Williamson or Zach Brown type player, but are they willing to spend that money to get it done? Something has to get done with Shazier's contract too. They have to get creative to reduce that cap hit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:49 am 

Saw an article yesterday stating Shazier will not play in 2018. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/stee ... y-in-2018/
Don't know how that affects the cap for this year. Anyone have any insight?
Quote:
@AKinkhabwala
Kevin Colbert says, “Ryan Shazier won’t play in 2018.” Says he’ll be a part of the #Steelers, but there will be some sort of designation for him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:04 am 

Quote:
Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff indicates two-time Pro Bowl DT Dontari Poe will play elsewhere next year after Poe played on a one-year, $8 million contract last season. “Did a heck of a job for us this year,” Dimitroff said. “We really liked his impact for us — especially in the run game — understanding that it may be a one-year deal. We’re in a spot right now where there’s a very good chance that he’s going to go to free agency and land a very lucrative deal. So we appreciate what he has done with us.” https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/2/2 ... ency-again
I know, I know where they gonna get the scratch to sign these FA's. Love to see them bring in Poe and add him to the DLine rotation. :geek:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:40 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff indicates two-time Pro Bowl DT Dontari Poe will play elsewhere next year after Poe played on a one-year, $8 million contract last season. “Did a heck of a job for us this year,” Dimitroff said. “We really liked his impact for us — especially in the run game — understanding that it may be a one-year deal. We’re in a spot right now where there’s a very good chance that he’s going to go to free agency and land a very lucrative deal. So we appreciate what he has done with us.” https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/2/2 ... ency-again
I know, I know where they gonna get the scratch to sign these FA's. Love to see them bring in Poe and add him to the DLine rotation. :geek:

It IS fun window shopping, 77. :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 am 

Yes it is DP.

Tough sledding for Gruden. I'm sure a few other new head coaches can relate. Gonna be a lot of turnover as new regimes establish themselves. May find some decent FA talent out there this year as a result.

Quote:
“We’re not allowed to have any contact with these guys in March, either. Not until April 9,” Gruden said. “And we’ve got to make some very difficult decisions on who we keep, whose contracts we restructure, and we’re making a lot of those decisions without having met these guys. And that’s tough. It’s really disappointing to have to make some tough decisions without having met some of these guys.”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:16 am 

Quote:
Kirk Cousins is THE target for Broncos https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kirk-cousi ... 56919.html
Cousin's about to be paid, Again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:02 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
Kirk Cousins is THE target for Broncos https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kirk-cousi ... 56919.html
Cousin's about to be paid, Again.

Foolish if he signs with Denver... they are a mess. OL a shambles, receiving targets are suspect, defense is about to lose at least one of its outlier good CBs, they already lost the two guys in the middle of what was once an excellent defense, and the coaching staff seems to be poor. Guess it's all about the $$$ if he does that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:10 pm 

Wait, players are motivated by money?

This is crazy.....I thought Bell was gonna take a hometown discount to play for a SB?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:48 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Wait, players are motivated by money?

This is crazy.....I thought Bell was gonna take a hometown discount to play for a SB?

Le'Veon always gonna Le'Veon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:10 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
Le'Veon always gonna Le'Veon

The more I think about it, the more I believe they need to trade Bell. He's the guy that has some value, and might be gone after this year.

Because Colbert has usually done well in R1 and R2, but they've rarely gone into a draft so desperate at 3 positions, all on defense. If Bell and his money can get you two solid defensive guys (for a year, cap-wise anyway), and maybe you somehow sign Hyde... Then the draft is pretty wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:14 am 

Not sure if folks looked at Coleman as an option at safety here? Saints sign S Kurt Coleman 3 year deal. https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/stat ... 8410779648

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:36 pm 

I've been looking at the IBL FA market and I think Todd Davis, ILB with the Broncos might be the best option to fill Shazier's role. Who knows if Shazier will be able to play in 2019 (kind of doubt it), but Davis is a smart choice because he's 25, just starting to blossom and is trending to be very good in the next year or two. I'm guessing he could be had for maybe 4 years, $18 mill with $6-8 guaranteed. If Shazier somehow miraculously comes back at full strength in two years then a guy like Davis with probably not too much G $ is a smart short term play, imo. Hopefully the PS see it the same way. I know they'll do something before the draft to fill that spot, KC always does.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:54 pm 

kC will add a FA Linebacker early in FA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:21 pm 

DP39 wrote:
I've been looking at the IBL FA market and I think Todd Davis, ILB with the Broncos might be the best option to fill Shazier's role. Who knows if Shazier will be able to play in 2019 (kind of doubt it), but Davis is a smart choice because he's 25, just starting to blossom and is trending to be very good in the next year or two. I'm guessing he could be had for maybe 4 years, $18 mill with $6-8 guaranteed. If Shazier somehow miraculously comes back at full strength in two years then a guy like Davis with probably not too much G $ is a smart short term play, imo. Hopefully the PS see it the same way. I know they'll do something before the draft to fill that spot, KC always does.

Apparently Denver is letting him go because he can't cover worth a crap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:50 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
DP39 wrote:

Nicki Jhabvala

@NickiJhabvala
Broncos are also going to meet with the agent for ILB Todd Davis today and ILB Corey Nelson on Saturday. Both want to stay in Denver. Asked about Davis yesterday, Elway said they want to keep him. He's expected to test the market first though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:09 am 

Talk that the Steelers are looking to move Sutton to safety.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:58 am 

SOCALSTEEL wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
DP39 wrote:

Nicki Jhabvala

@NickiJhabvala
Broncos are also going to meet with the agent for ILB Todd Davis today and ILB Corey Nelson on Saturday. Both want to stay in Denver. Asked about Davis yesterday, Elway said they want to keep him. He's expected to test the market first though.

Quote:
Primarily, Davis was targeted by opposing offenses in coverage by going empty and running the tailback on certain routes. Davis lacked speed that would enable him to cover most tailbacks out of the backfield.

.@BamBamDavis51 wants to take a step forward in 2017.https://t.co/01NWvO2TT0

— Broncos TV (@BroncosTV) June 1, 2017

With the struggles that come natural on the playing field, so do the positive learning lessons. Living in the shadow and question of replacing Danny Trevathan, Davis focused on bettering himself.

In the journey of self fulfillment, Davis is embracing truth and learning to grow from it.

“It’s huge for me. I think it means that we’re going to tell the truth. By us telling the truth and living by the truth, we’re going to be better. We don’t have to sugarcoat things. We just tell it how it is and we grow from that.” – Todd Davis on what the ‘Truth’ motto means to him (Via Denver Broncos PR)

Davis understood that he struggled in pass coverage and expressed that he has been working hard to improve that area of his game. Davis spoke on his desire to remain on the field in key situations. “I would love to stay on the field during those key third downs and in the down packages. I’m definitely working on my coverage and just trying to have a reason for me to not be off the field”

Surely, knowing that he must improve on his coverage means he understands that he must accomplish that in order to improve his shelf life and value as a member of an elite defense.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:59 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
Talk that the Steelers are looking to move Sutton to safety.

It's interesting. It opens up picking BPA Safety OR CB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:19 am 

Looks like Bell will be tagged again.

Quote:
@RapSheet
Despite some early optimism at getting a long-term deal done before the deadline, the #Steelers are expected to franchise tag RB Le’Veon Bell before the Tuesday deadline, barring a dramatic turn in talks. Both sides will keep working on a deal. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/970 ... gr%5Etweet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:20 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Quote:

Davis understood that he struggled in pass coverage and expressed that he has been working hard to improve that area of his game. Davis spoke on his desire to remain on the field in key situations. “I would love to stay on the field during those key third downs and in the down packages. I’m definitely working on my coverage and just trying to have a reason for me to not be off the field”

Surely, knowing that he must improve on his coverage means he understands that he must accomplish that in order to improve his shelf life and value as a member of an elite defense.

Quote:
Inside linebacker Todd Davis will be a free agent and will test the open market but, “we’d like to have him back,” the GM said. https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/03/j ... n-broncos/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:05 pm 

Yeah, I think if the Steelers want a balanced ILB who can run sideline to sideline with great speed and quickness to stop the run and also drop into coverage that player is really only available in the draft.

All of these free agent ILBs are limited in some way, Hitchens, Williamson, etc, most are just really average to below average in pass coverage.

It is a shame about Kevin Pierre-Louis of KC. He was arrested at the end of January for pot possession, no driver license, etc. This guy has real Shazier type of talent, think of him as a poor man's Shazier, 6'0" 232 pounds, ran a 4.51 40, 28 reps, 39 inch vertical, 6.9 3 cone time, 4.02 short shuttle, just has elite athleticism and was being used to replace the increasingly ineffective Derrick Johnson.

So, this former 4th round pick of Seattle was traded to KC and was starting to play well and should have parlayed that into a nice free agent contract but then he gets arrested. He most likely has to serve some sort of suspension by the commish, so some team signing him wouldn't have him for all 16 games this year. And teams will probably be hesitant to give him a big money deal, knowing that Seattle gave up on him and now his latest troubles, can he be dependable? Is he just a tease?

If I am the Steelers maybe I take a chance on him. I would rather roll the dice with him then sign some of these other players like Williamson. And regardless they have to draft an ILB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:16 pm 

Well... Scunge, with all that said he's no Aldon Smith.... I'd take a look see. Bring him in for some one on one discussions about career. Sometimes folks have to hit rock bottom before they open their eyes to a new way of thinking. Perhaps with a fresh start and a very veteran filled locker room in Pittsburgh..., could be all it takes for him to fly right on his way to success. That's a feel good story in my book. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 pm 

Excluding off the field... I would take Pierre-Louis in a minute.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next