It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:31 am 

14 million for a guy who averaged less than 4 yards a carry for almost the entire year. Behind that line, those weapons, and that QB.

Just think about it. It's not worth it. Not when your D got shredded by Brissett, Hundley, Kizer, and Bortles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:39 am 

franco32 wrote:
14 million for a guy who averaged less than 4 yards a carry for almost the entire year. Behind that line, those weapons, and that QB.

Just think about it. It's not worth it. Not when your D got shredded by Brissett, Hundley, Kizer, and Bortles.

This

No way should he get what he’s asking for.....huge mistake IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:21 am 

Possibly the best pass blocking RB in the league, which makes him possibly the best all around back in the league.

How do we know the o line did not slump in the run game and not just Bell?

Asking the question not taking a side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:33 am 

Quote:
@RapSheet
Despite some early optimism at getting a long-term deal done before the deadline, the #Steelers are expected to franchise tag RB Le’Veon Bell before the Tuesday deadline, barring a dramatic turn in talks. Both sides will keep working on a deal. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/970 ... gr%5Etweet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:20 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
I guess we find out by 4PM tomorrow.

I think the plan is to tag him and continue negotiations. I just wonder how he will react. Not up for the drama of last year.

I'm interested to see if Bell will wait forever to sign the tag again. Because if he does, I keep shopping for defensive help and if I find it, I'm yanking his tag and telling him don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Or if Hyde doesn't get tagged and I can do a deal with him, then I rescind Bell's tag. The tag is not supposed to work that way, but if you won't sign a reasonable deal and threaten to sit out then PIT shouldn't care. Hell, you're letting him be a FA, which is what he wants.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:09 pm 

Quote:
Ed Bouchette @EdBouchette 3h
Le'Veon Bell has the Steelers in a tough position once again post-gazette.com/sports/steeler… via @PittsburghPG

Quote:
Wil Masisak @AccidentalZen 3h
It’s really hard to break up with the gf who has been really good to you but now you can see you might not be in her forever plans and you suddenly realize the day is coming when the downsides are going to outweigh the benefits.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:35 pm 

The best thing the Steelers can do to avoid last year's slow start from Bell and the offense is to draft a RB high this year, like in round 1 or 2. Here me out.

Bell is going to do the same thing this offseason, hold out, posture in the media, sound quotes, media snippets, I am the best, they need to pay me what I am worth, blah, blah, blah. He does not technically hold out, but he avoids signing the franchise tag, waits until the very last week of the preseason. And don't tell me it won't affect him, he is so great, he can suit up and not miss a beat. We just witnessed last year how he was not the same in those first 4 games, how the timing was off, how the entire offense was off. His teammates did not have him for the preseason or any of training camp, the chemistry, the cohesion was not there. Do we really want to go through all of that again?

My answer is no. The best thing for all involved is for the Steelers to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB. If that new RB is drafted and is there for mini camp, for the OTAs, is there for the start of training camp and throughout the entire preseason games, then Bell is spiting himself for holding out. The script will be flipped, the media will then talk of how great that new rookie RB is, how the Steelers don't care if Bell ever signs the franchise tag, or holds out, how this new rookie RB is taking Bell's job.

Bell, will then be in a lesser position, he now has legitimate competition for his job, it will be a bitter pill to swallow but he will have to swallow his pride and sign the franchise tag and get into camp to limit the damage and hopefully gain some ground.

That can realistically happen if they draft a RB who is better than what Connor was last season. Connor was a feel good story, a sentimental pick, but if they draft a RB who can run and catch, who can do what Bell does? Bell would quickly fall into shape, the nonsense would end and it is ultimately in our best interest for the Super Bowl. We need a RB, the depth is not that great, beyond Bell you have Connor coming off injury and Fitz. There is a great need for a starting RB. It isn't like Bell hasn't missed time to injury, and he would probably be much more effective if he had less snaps. He fancies himself as this great player who can handle this unreal workload but to me he is becoming less and less effective the more he is fed the ball, the yards per carry, the yards per catch are just decreasing more and more every year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:
I loved that quote he had (Cosell) where he said Rodgers was like a jazz musican and Brady was more like a concert pianist.

I was thinking Ben is kind of Eddie Van Halen in that scenario. Capable of rock & roll pyrotechnics and also comfortable with the classics.

nah - Ben would be more like Dave grohl

Eddie van Halen btw is the greatest rock and roll guitarist of all time ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 pm 

Gonzo wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:
I loved that quote he had (Cosell) where he said Rodgers was like a jazz musican and Brady was more like a concert pianist.

I was thinking Ben is kind of Eddie Van Halen in that scenario. Capable of rock & roll pyrotechnics and also comfortable with the classics.

nah - Ben would be more like Dave grohl

Eddie van Halen btw is the greatest rock and roll guitarist of all time ;)

That's tough to say, simply because the answer to "What is rock and roll?" is so broad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 pm 

How about Hard rock
Technically obviously debatable
I remember when I first heard van Halen ... had never heard guitar like that before or since
It's a matter of taste as well

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next