It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steelers Needs in FA and the draft
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:16 pm 

still thinking they will sign a ILb in Fa early as well maybe a veteran OL later on in FA.
The draft will be FS and possible RB and LB in the first 3 rounds then a WR in round 5

Post subject: Re: Steelers Needs in FA and the draft
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 pm 

FA OLB depth and ILB starter
Sutton to starting FS
Go bpa in the first ILB or CB
Second round WR.
Third round OLB.
4TH none
5a.DT
5B.RB
6.S
7A. CB
7B.WR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:05 am 

Even with the cap rising to $177Mil this season the Steelers are hard pressed to land anyone of value. They still have to sign their own guys and have money left to sign the rookie class coming in. Boz is worth some big money just for starters. If they land someone it will likely be a 3rd Tier player off the scrap heap towards the end of FA. Rumor is they're trying to re-negotiate Wilcox's contract and bring him back. I guess what I'm saying is don't hold your breath. Unless they go outside the Steeler box and make a trade for a player and possibly some picks. That's really reaching into fantasy land though. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:16 am 

Well, Jon Bostic takes care of glaring need #1. So there's that. Morgan Burnett [not official yet] takes care of glaring need #2. There's that. With the 2 most glaring needs addressed the Steelers can now focus on BPA in the draft. Smart.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:51 am 

Bostic is, at best, a stop gap. They need to get a ILB high in this draft. I still think it will be the #1 pick if Evans or LVE is there. Safety is the fall back with Bates and Reid in the mix.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:40 am 

jebrick wrote:
Bostic is, at best, a stop gap. They need to get a ILB high in this draft. I still think it will be the #1 pick if Evans or LVE is there. Safety is the fall back with Bates and Reid in the mix.

"We do what we do" has usually been to fill glaring needs one and two in FA, then to very much look at BPA at position of need (often very similar to said glaring needs) in the draft. I don't think anything I've seen in FA causes much deviation from ILB/secondary being the first couple of draft picks, maybe with a BPA guy sprinkled in. Maybe at RB.

I'm not convinced on Evans or LVE, and both the mentioned safeties have some warts, as well. None of them would make for a celebratory Thursday night in late April in Delaware.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:11 pm 

I’d be happier with LVE than Evans- Evans would have been solid in 1995.

I think it’s going to be Bates and I have yet to see anything to change my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:44 pm 

I don’t see Bates as first round quality, seems more of a mid round 2 type of player.
If they don’t go LVE or Evans I’m thinking round 1 will be bpa on the board but that won’t be a safety.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:09 pm 

LVE, Evans, Reid. Long shot luxury pick: Sony Michel.

Bates is not a first round talent.

Any chance they take a corner? Not really a need, but there could be some real good ones available at 1.28. Carlton Davis?

It better not be Rudolph (3rd round talent) or Lamar Jackson. I'd rather take Lauletta, White or Woodside much later.

Going to be interesting....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:44 pm 

I don't agree about Bates not being first round worthy. He still needs to build up his body, gain weight and strength but he has things that you can't teach, instincts, ability to play the ball, make INTs, and is dangerous with the ball in his hands. If we drafted him and he was only the 3rd safety this year he would still have an impact. He could probably help on punt returns he is that good.

I think maybe Evans and Reid are both off the board and we are left with having to decide between LVE and Bates. I am still intrigued about the play to get Hightower last offseason. I am curious how they would use a mammoth sized ILB and LVE is along the same lines as Hightower. It might be very interesting to have Watt and LVE as these tall coverage linebackers with huge wingspans, yet not sacrificing speed and athleticism. QBs might have a tougher time fitting the ball into certain areas of the field.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:05 pm 

Well as usual they filled their holes so they will sit and wait for a player that no one thought would be there, is there.
So they can go bpa on their board.
Could be any of the following positions ILB, S, CB,Haden is a large cap hit next year, WR I believe only Brown and Smith-Shuster are under contract, or RB depending on the Bell decision.

CB Alexander or WR Sutton wouldn’t surprise me as BPA. Dare I say QB Mason Rudolph??

1.CB Alexander
2.ILB Nwosu
3.WR Miller
4. None
5a.OLB
5b.S
6.DT
7.OT

1.WR Sutton
2.S Edmunds
3.ILB Leonard
4.none
5a.OLB
5b.DT
6.OT
7. S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:58 am 

To be honest, I'm hoping for that usual draft day dissent on a certain player and as usual the Steelers are there to catch him.... :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:44 am 

cop1211 wrote:
Well as usual they filled their holes so they will sit and wait for a player that no one thought would be there, is there.
So they can go bpa on their board.
Could be any of the following positions ILB, S, CB,Haden is a large cap hit next year, WR I believe only Brown and Smith-Shuster are under contract, or RB depending on the Bell decision.

CB Alexander or WR Sutton wouldn’t surprise me as BPA. Dare I say QB Mason Rudolph??

1.CB Alexander
2.ILB Nwosu
3.WR Miller
4. None
5a.OLB
5b.S
6.DT
7.OT

1.WR Sutton
2.S Edmunds
3.ILB Leonard
4.none
5a.OLB
5b.DT
6.OT
7. S

I think the Mason Rudolph thing could be smoke for a trade down. I know it would be totally out of character for the Steelers to be non-transparent... but it makes so much sense.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:50 pm 

I said that also this was a total smoke screen of Rudolph and maybe trade down scenario.
But i am starting to think this really might happen if he there at 28 Tomlin and Colbert have took very hard look at him. I thinking we see a WR taken in round 3.
I think you see them take either the Boise LB or USC LB in round one.
then i believe it will be Bates in round 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
I said that also this was a total smoke screen of Rudolph and maybe trade down scenario.
But i am starting to think this really might happen if he there at 28 Tomlin and Colbert have took very hard look at him. I thinking we see a WR taken in round 3.
I think you see them take either the Boise LB or USC LB in round one.
then i believe it will be Bates in round 2

Could be:
1. LB Nwosu
2. WR Miller
3. S Bates

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:09 am 

I’d rather have Rudolph in the first than Nwosu I don’t see 1st round talent in him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:04 am 

My draft favorite for the Steelers is Lorenzo Carter. I believe he checks all the boxes for them. If a significantly better prospect (Derwin James) doesn't fall to them I could see them drafting Carter in the 1st RND and be fine with it. Carter can play inside or outside. I'd be interested where they'd play him. (outside)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:48 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
My draft favorite for the Steelers is Lorenzo Carter. I believe he checks all the boxes for them. If a significantly better prospect (Derwin James) doesn't fall to them I could see them drafting Carter in the 1st RND and be fine with it. Carter can play inside or outside. I'd be interested where they'd play him. (outside)

I think Nwosu and Carter are pretty close in style, what they can do for you, and ability to play inside and out. I would take Carter over Nwosu, but I’m not going to complain about either.

I don’t see the value in Rudolph over either— not for this team, and as I say, I like Rudolph. I also don’t believe in the concept of “reach”. If a guy will be gone before your next pick and you like him most of who is available— not a reach.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:23 pm 

I reall like Nwsou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:49 pm 

Carter hands down over Nwosu, IMHO. Carter..., Length, Check. Speed, Check. Height/Weight, Check. Production, Check. Freak Athlete, Check. Position of Need, Check. Above Neck Ability, Check. Position Flexibility, Check. The only thing I found that goes against their usual indicators is Carter will be 23 in December. So age isn't necessarily a Check.