It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16850
Quote:
Ed Bouchette @EdBouchette 3h
Le'Veon Bell has the Steelers in a tough position once again post-gazette.com/sports/steeler… via @PittsburghPG

Quote:
Wil Masisak @AccidentalZen 3h
It’s really hard to break up with the gf who has been really good to you but now you can see you might not be in her forever plans and you suddenly realize the day is coming when the downsides are going to outweigh the benefits.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1968
The best thing the Steelers can do to avoid last year's slow start from Bell and the offense is to draft a RB high this year, like in round 1 or 2. Here me out.

Bell is going to do the same thing this offseason, hold out, posture in the media, sound quotes, media snippets, I am the best, they need to pay me what I am worth, blah, blah, blah. He does not technically hold out, but he avoids signing the franchise tag, waits until the very last week of the preseason. And don't tell me it won't affect him, he is so great, he can suit up and not miss a beat. We just witnessed last year how he was not the same in those first 4 games, how the timing was off, how the entire offense was off. His teammates did not have him for the preseason or any of training camp, the chemistry, the cohesion was not there. Do we really want to go through all of that again?

My answer is no. The best thing for all involved is for the Steelers to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB. If that new RB is drafted and is there for mini camp, for the OTAs, is there for the start of training camp and throughout the entire preseason games, then Bell is spiting himself for holding out. The script will be flipped, the media will then talk of how great that new rookie RB is, how the Steelers don't care if Bell ever signs the franchise tag, or holds out, how this new rookie RB is taking Bell's job.

Bell, will then be in a lesser position, he now has legitimate competition for his job, it will be a bitter pill to swallow but he will have to swallow his pride and sign the franchise tag and get into camp to limit the damage and hopefully gain some ground.

That can realistically happen if they draft a RB who is better than what Connor was last season. Connor was a feel good story, a sentimental pick, but if they draft a RB who can run and catch, who can do what Bell does? Bell would quickly fall into shape, the nonsense would end and it is ultimately in our best interest for the Super Bowl. We need a RB, the depth is not that great, beyond Bell you have Connor coming off injury and Fitz. There is a great need for a starting RB. It isn't like Bell hasn't missed time to injury, and he would probably be much more effective if he had less snaps. He fancies himself as this great player who can handle this unreal workload but to me he is becoming less and less effective the more he is fed the ball, the yards per carry, the yards per catch are just decreasing more and more every year.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:11 pm
Posts: 2203
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:
I loved that quote he had (Cosell) where he said Rodgers was like a jazz musican and Brady was more like a concert pianist.

I was thinking Ben is kind of Eddie Van Halen in that scenario. Capable of rock & roll pyrotechnics and also comfortable with the classics.


nah - Ben would be more like Dave grohl

Eddie van Halen btw is the greatest rock and roll guitarist of all time ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16850
Gonzo wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:
I loved that quote he had (Cosell) where he said Rodgers was like a jazz musican and Brady was more like a concert pianist.

I was thinking Ben is kind of Eddie Van Halen in that scenario. Capable of rock & roll pyrotechnics and also comfortable with the classics.


nah - Ben would be more like Dave grohl

Eddie van Halen btw is the greatest rock and roll guitarist of all time ;)

That's tough to say, simply because the answer to "What is rock and roll?" is so broad.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:11 pm
Posts: 2203
How about Hard rock
Technically obviously debatable
I remember when I first heard van Halen ... had never heard guitar like that before or since
It's a matter of taste as well


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 4151
You guys are so off base. Anyone with a half a brain knows that no one can shred like Fred Durst:


_________________
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Dad showed up after work and according to her the entire hospital hears my dad yell you are not naming our son Hoss.


Baltostiller wrote:
I can agree to disagree without calling another post "assholic" Maybe you should do the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1968
I don't know. There so many here on SteelerFury that probably think Ben is like that banjo kid in the movie Deliverance.

https://youtu.be/gsC4kf6x_Q0?t=130

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14332
Ben is like this dude with a sick talent that just doesn't always work out... Try not to laugh yourself out of your chair like I did.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16850
Gonzo wrote:
How about Hard rock
Technically obviously debatable
I remember when I first heard van Halen ... had never heard guitar like that before or since
It's a matter of taste as well

Rob Fetters is the greatest rock guitar player I've ever heard. Some really good guitar players agree with that assessment... but it's definitely a matter of taste. Solo at the end (3:13) is the whole bag of tricks for most players... tip of the iceberg for him.



Rob has a funny story I've heard. He was in a bad breakup in his early 20s, left Toledo without telling anyone and drove across the country to Hollywood, looking for his ex-girlfriend. He couldn't find her (of course) and decided to kill himself by walking out into the ocean. Part way out into the water, he realized there was a chance he wouldn't be found and that people would never have closure, so he got out of the water and went to a pay phone. He called his manager, Stan, and told him he was going to commit suicide-- "Can you let my mom know." Stan was like, 'OK but before you do that, is there any chance you can pick up Adrian Belew from the airport? He's taken medication because he's incredibly afraid of flying his first time on an airplane and he's about to land in LA so he can audition for Frank Zappa. You could still kill yourself afterwards.'

Of course, Stan was using sort of psychology-- if he had argued with Rob, that would have pushed him to do it. As it turned out, Rob picked up Adrian, sobered him up, took him to Frank's place, met Frank and hung out there while Adrian completely blew his audition. Rob drove a depressed Adrian back to his hotel, where they cheered each other up by showing each other guitar tricks, until deciding to go out to the Strip and see this band they had both heard of but had never seen/heard: Van Halen.

They saw VH and then hung out with Eddie after the show and talked guitars and Frank and stuff. Next day, Adrian called Frank and begged for another audition. Frank agreed and Adrian famously turned his pignose amp up to 11, buried it in Frank's couch cushions, and sat on the couch with Frank while playing the audition of his life. He got the gig.

Rob didn't off himself and became never quite famous but with an incredible career. Adrian became a guitar icon with Frank, Bowie, Talking Heads, King Crimson, et al. Eddie hit it big. Frank was Frank.

Anyway, so it was that Rob Fetters met three of the greatest musicians/guitarist of all time, all in one day.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16850
By the way, for those of you music/guitar buffs, you can tell Rob came up in the greater Detroit Rock City area/era. That solo is like a tribute to the MC5 and Ted Nugent, with a little Dick Dale/puck rock/EVH thrown in for good measure.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 10238
Steelafan77 wrote:
Ben is like this dude with a sick talent that just doesn't always work out... Try not to laugh yourself out of your chair like I did.



OMG, thanks so much for sharing this.

_________________
Orangesteel wrote:
We could have ended the game there and Tomlin’s band of assholes let them back in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 8313
Still Lit wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Ben is like this dude with a sick talent that just doesn't always work out... Try not to laugh yourself out of your chair like I did.



OMG, thanks so much for sharing this.

That was awesome.

_________________
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 597
Scunge wrote:
I don't know. There so many here on SteelerFury that probably think Ben is like that banjo kid in the movie Deliverance.

https://youtu.be/gsC4kf6x_Q0?t=130


No, that's Fichtner. He's actually related to the banjo player.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:11 pm
Posts: 2203
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
How about Hard rock
Technically obviously debatable
I remember when I first heard van Halen ... had never heard guitar like that before or since
It's a matter of taste as well

Rob Fetters is the greatest rock guitar player I've ever heard. Some really good guitar players agree with that assessment... but it's definitely a matter of taste. Solo at the end (3:13) is the whole bag of tricks for most players... tip of the iceberg for him.



Rob has a funny story I've heard. He was in a bad breakup in his early 20s, left Toledo without telling anyone and drove across the country to Hollywood, looking for his ex-girlfriend. He couldn't find her (of course) and decided to kill himself by walking out into the ocean. Part way out into the water, he realized there was a chance he wouldn't be found and that people would never have closure, so he got out of the water and went to a pay phone. He called his manager, Stan, and told him he was going to commit suicide-- "Can you let my mom know." Stan was like, 'OK but before you do that, is there any chance you can pick up Adrian Belew from the airport? He's taken medication because he's incredibly afraid of flying his first time on an airplane and he's about to land in LA so he can audition for Frank Zappa. You could still kill yourself afterwards.'

Of course, Stan was using sort of psychology-- if he had argued with Rob, that would have pushed him to do it. As it turned out, Rob picked up Adrian, sobered him up, took him to Frank's place, met Frank and hung out there while Adrian completely blew his audition. Rob drove a depressed Adrian back to his hotel, where they cheered each other up by showing each other guitar tricks, until deciding to go out to the Strip and see this band they had both heard of but had never seen/heard: Van Halen.

They saw VH and then hung out with Eddie after the show and talked guitars and Frank and stuff. Next day, Adrian called Frank and begged for another audition. Frank agreed and Adrian famously turned his pignose amp up to 11, buried it in Frank's couch cushions, and sat on the couch with Frank while playing the audition of his life. He got the gig.

Rob didn't off himself and became never quite famous but with an incredible career. Adrian became a guitar icon with Frank, Bowie, Talking Heads, King Crimson, et al. Eddie hit it big. Frank was Frank.

Anyway, so it was that Rob Fetters met three of the greatest musicians/guitarist of all time, all in one day.


Meh ;). The child of nugent and Zappa
He is certainly skilled and fast
Do you have another clip ? It's likely the chosen song threw me as I love Doctor Robert but not a fan of that version and was never a big fan of the Zappa/nugentesqe clowning it up


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody Catch Greg Cosell On Pgh Sports Radio Today?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 3023
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
How about Hard rock
Technically obviously debatable
I remember when I first heard van Halen ... had never heard guitar like that before or since
It's a matter of taste as well

Rob Fetters is the greatest rock guitar player I've ever heard. Some really good guitar players agree with that assessment... but it's definitely a matter of taste. Solo at the end (3:13) is the whole bag of tricks for most players... tip of the iceberg for him.



Rob has a funny story I've heard. He was in a bad breakup in his early 20s, left Toledo without telling anyone and drove across the country to Hollywood, looking for his ex-girlfriend. He couldn't find her (of course) and decided to kill himself by walking out into the ocean. Part way out into the water, he realized there was a chance he wouldn't be found and that people would never have closure, so he got out of the water and went to a pay phone. He called his manager, Stan, and told him he was going to commit suicide-- "Can you let my mom know." Stan was like, 'OK but before you do that, is there any chance you can pick up Adrian Belew from the airport? He's taken medication because he's incredibly afraid of flying his first time on an airplane and he's about to land in LA so he can audition for Frank Zappa. You could still kill yourself afterwards.'

Of course, Stan was using sort of psychology-- if he had argued with Rob, that would have pushed him to do it. As it turned out, Rob picked up Adrian, sobered him up, took him to Frank's place, met Frank and hung out there while Adrian completely blew his audition. Rob drove a depressed Adrian back to his hotel, where they cheered each other up by showing each other guitar tricks, until deciding to go out to the Strip and see this band they had both heard of but had never seen/heard: Van Halen.

They saw VH and then hung out with Eddie after the show and talked guitars and Frank and stuff. Next day, Adrian called Frank and begged for another audition. Frank agreed and Adrian famously turned his pignose amp up to 11, buried it in Frank's couch cushions, and sat on the couch with Frank while playing the audition of his life. He got the gig.

Rob didn't off himself and became never quite famous but with an incredible career. Adrian became a guitar icon with Frank, Bowie, Talking Heads, King Crimson, et al. Eddie hit it big. Frank was Frank.

Anyway, so it was that Rob Fetters met three of the greatest musicians/guitarist of all time, all in one day.


Can't believe I never heard of this guy(there are a few years in the past that I don't remember so well).
Thanks 12-2-7 I'll do some research on this guy.

As far as EVH, I think his legacy is that he made being a guitar god a cool thing again. His sound on the first album is legendary. That said, he is sloppy live, very much so.
I only saw VH their first four tours but each show Eddie was incredibly sloppy. I remember reading a Hit Parader interview with him and he went on and on about Jimmy Page being sloppy live and how it upset him. So I thought it funny that Eddie was just like his hero live.
And I have seen Page three times live and he is very sloppy as well but still an incredible player.
Now a days if I listen to VH it is to listen to Alex VH because I think technically he is a better musician then his brother.

I'll add Guthrie Govan to the list of great players.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bostonsteeler, Google [Bot], Old School Steeler, RooneyTunes, steel, Stillcajun, StillerDownSouth and 52 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group