It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yinzer Sean Miller under attack by ESPN
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:36 pm 

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... spn-report

ESPN spewing more bullshit. The whole "unnamed sources leak" is the new go to by the mainstream media.

I'd like to see Miller sue the shit of of BSPN.

Post subject: Re: Yinzer Sean Miller under attack by ESPN
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:07 pm 

Agreed...make them pay out their ass for this shit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:52 pm 

R S wrote:
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/03/01/arizona-sean-miller-deandre-ayton-espn-report

ESPN spewing more bullshit. The whole "unnamed sources leak" is the new go to by the mainstream media.

I would like to see college sports abolished as its known today. No more scholarships. Only true student athletes. All revenue from TV contracts or ticket sales go into a fund to lower school tuition for the student body.

That would force the NBA and the NFL to develop minor league teams and draft from high schools and or the new college ranks.

No more kids getting recruited for a scholarship to play a few years with no intentions of going to college- stupid. College is for higher education not sports.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:49 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
R S wrote:
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/03/01/arizona-sean-miller-deandre-ayton-espn-report

I would like to see college sports abolished as its known today. No more scholarships. Only true student athletes. All revenue from TV contracts or ticket sales go into a fund to lower school tuition for the student body.

That would force the NBA and the NFL to develop minor league teams and draft from high schools and or the new college ranks.

No more kids getting recruited for a scholarship to play a few years with no intentions of going to college- stupid. College is for higher education not sports.

I agree 100%! But would you watch say Penn State vs. Ohio State if it was just regular students that showed up for a tryout in August? Would there be 100,000 fans watching D3 talent? I would still watch it, I wouldn't care. In fact, I'd like it. But would YOU?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:39 am 

Nick79 wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
R S wrote:

I agree 100%! But would you watch say Penn State vs. Ohio State if it was just regular students that showed up for a tryout in August? Would there be 100,000 fans watching D3 talent? I would still watch it, I wouldn't care. In fact, I'd like it. But would YOU?

Yes. Emphatically. That being said... I watch all of my high school students' games, as well. Hell, maybe if they made that change, Penn State and WVU would be able to find room on their schedule for a regular tussle with Pitt.

People watch Harvard/Yale. People watch Army/Navy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:27 pm 

Ice wrote:

Yes. Emphatically. That being said... I watch all of my high school students' games, as well. Hell, maybe if they made that change, Penn State and WVU would be able to find room on their schedule for a regular tussle with Pitt.

People watch Harvard/Yale. People watch Army/Navy.

I'm with you here, in fact, I think say a Pitt vs. Alabama game would be less of an all star game and more a real test of Pittsburgh Area vs. Bama Area. In some ways it would be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:04 pm 

I don't think college football is as evil as many make it out to be. The vast majority of scholarship athletes will never sniff the pros. And an even larger majority of college athletes are playing with little to no scholarship money, because they love the game and get to represent their institution while gaining an education.

For every dipshit who ends up in prison after his eligibility is up, there are 15 guys who were able to get an education and be successful citizens and leaders in the community.

Bball is a different story. Guys can jump to the NBA without college, but they are basically forced to go to college for a year. Yes, they could go play in the NBA developmental league in Dubuqe Iowa in front of 100 fans or in Lithuania as a 18 year old kid who's never left his hometown, or they could play for Kentucky for a year in front of 22,000 fans and millions in the final four.........hmmmm tough choice!

Do they even bother going to classes? I mean, by the time they could be academically ineligible they are off to the NBA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:56 pm 

The NBA Draft is only like 60 players deep and at least half end up being from Europe, so really, IMO it wouldn't hurt college basketball if they just got rid of the one and done requirement. They'd only be missing a couple dozen players out of like 300+ D1 teams. Truth is the one and done is just an extra evaluation level for the NBA, some guys turn out to not be "all that" once they start playing against the ACC or for KY etc. And that lets the NBA look at them an extra year above HS level.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:14 am 

I agree. 1 and done was a terrible idea and puts the colleges in an impossible situation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:11 pm 

R S wrote:
I agree. 1 and done was a terrible idea and puts the colleges in an impossible situation.

RS, I don't know what college you played for or in what division, but I teach at a uni with an elite basketball program.

There are always exceptions, but these kids barely have time for class. Sure, they graduate. But they did not get a college education. They get a college degree. And I have experienced first hand pressure to "go light" on a premier athlete.

I would imagine that for no-name programs, the kids play for fun and pride and that many have the time to be dedicated to their course work. But my experience with athletes on this premier basketball team is that the majority (again, there are always exceptions) (a) do not give a fuck about a college education and (b) even if they did, they, it is literally impossible for them to put as much effort into their studies as they would like.

I'll say it again: many get a degree, but hardly an education. I can only speak from my own experience and will not generalize.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:45 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:

RS, I don't know what college you played for or in what division, but I teach at a uni with an elite basketball program.

There are always exceptions, but these kids barely have time for class. Sure, they graduate. But they did not get a college education. They get a college degree. And I have experienced first hand pressure to "go light" on a premier athlete.

I would imagine that for no-name programs, the kids play for fun and pride and that many have the time to be dedicated to their course work. But my experience with athletes on this premier basketball team is that the majority (again, there are always exceptions) (a) do not give a fuck about a college education and (b) even if they did, they, it is literally impossible for them to put as much effort into their studies as they would like.

I'll say it again: many get a degree, but hardly an education. I can only speak from my own experience and will not generalize.

At Pitt in 2001, I was taking an Intro to Theater class, as part of my Education requirements. Something I had little experience (lead singer and poetry readings not really the same as line memorization and blocking with another person or three) with at all. Probably the most difficult class of my first semester that year. Culminated with a ten minute scene from Glengarry Glen Ross (think Jack Lemmon and Kevin Spacey at the end if you're familiar with the film version), fully produced with a partner, costumes, set, memorization, blocking, the whole nine. Nerve wracking for weeks.

The 4/5 for the mens' basketball team was in the same class. He played a tree, in a non-speaking role, buy putting on a green shirt, brown pants and spreading his arms.

I got a C+ for the final project. He got a B. Was actually a pretty well-hyped player, but he blew out a knee. Didn't go on to play professional ball or anything. Not sure, in fact, what happened to the guy, but it certainly anecdotally supports Lit's point.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:12 am 

What they could do is why care about "amateur" status at all? Let a kid go pro right out of high school, and if he ends up a bust in the pros, but he's still good enough for college, let him return to college and play there? Why do you have to lose the status for life?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:12 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
R S wrote:

I would watch the tournament which is really the only games I watch now honestly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:14 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:

My point is for every Div 1 elite program and player there are 100 no name programs and players who get a little scholarship money and play primarily for the love of the sport. And I think for the most part, the majority of college athletes gain some great life skills being part of a team at that level. So declarations of college sports being evil and that they should be banished are a little shortsighted and hysterical because the average sports fans only takes note of the elite teams and programs while forgetting that there are hundreds upon hundreds of I-AA, D2, D3 schools that do give scholarships and financial aid to athletes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:10 pm 

R S wrote:

Because 'mainstream media' is all about Creating the news instead of reporting it. Not enough fun just reporting the news. More exciting creating the news.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:58 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
R S wrote:

Because 'mainstream media' is all about Creating the news instead of reporting it. Not enough fun just reporting the news. More exciting creating the news.

You are right. The death of print media opened up such a massive amount of competition for clicks....fucked everything up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:58 am 

R S wrote:
You are right. The death of print media opened up such a massive amount of competition for clicks....fucked everything up.

Frankly, you have to blame the consumer for that. What "1984" got wrong was that people would willingly be fed and spread propaganda.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:42 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
R S wrote:

Frankly, you have to blame the consumer for that. What "1984" got wrong was that people would willingly be fed and spread propaganda.

It's a very psychologically addicting thing. I started following the Wall Street Journal on facebook awhile back. I figured that'd be a safe legit publication. Even they have turned into a clickbaiting quasi national enquirer with many articles and headlines.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
R S wrote:

Hence why Brave New World was more prescient.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:

Lit -- have you read Caplan's Case Against Education? Query whether the degree is more valuable compared to the education (of course, perhaps the signaling derived from a college degree is different compared to a person everyone knows isn't there due to "smarts").