It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Random Mocks...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 am 

Round 1, 28th Overall: Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

Obviously the Steelers hope Ryan Shazier can make a full recovery and return to the football field. But the team shouldn’t expect anything at this point. Whether Shazier’s playing career is over or not, the Steelers need to address the inside linebacker spot. While I don’t expect Rashaan Evans to last this long on draft night, if he does the Steelers should run to the podium and announce the pick themselves. Evans ability to blitz combined with his desire to create contact remind some of C.J. Mosley. For a Steelers defense that loves to blitz their linebackers, Evans is an ideal fit.

Round 2, 60th Overall: Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

Now before all of Twitter screams at me on how stupid this pick is, let me remind everyone that we have seen crazy things happen on draft night. Personally, I think Lamar Jackson is a top 40 pick at quarterback and should go in the first round on draft night. However, in this mock draft he falls to the bottom of the second round. While Ben Roethlisberger wants to play at least three more years, he only has two more years on his current contract and will turn 36 in a few weeks. On top of his age, Roethlisberger played in every game this season for only the fifth time in his 14 year career; his injury history can’t be ignored. Jackson would give the Steelers their heir apparent at quarterback while having at least two years to develop before having to start.

Round 3, 92nd Overall: DeShon Elliott, SAF, Texas

Despite the recent report by ESPN’s Field Yates that the Steelers have created a little over $13 million in cap by reworking a couple of players deals, they are now expected to have just $7.6 million dollars in cap space. However, if they release J.J. Wilcox they can save an additional $3.2 million. With Mike Mitchell turning 31 in June and entering the last year of his deal, the Steelers could release him and save another $5 million. As a junior at Texas, DeShone Elliot broke out and finished tied for fourth in the country with six interceptions, thanks to his strong mix of range, instincts, and ball skills. Elliott could be a cheap replacement for Mitchell either this year or next.

Round 5, 150th Overall (from 49ers): Quenton Meeks, CB, Stanford

The cornerback play for the Steelers was good to start out the 2017 season. However, as the season went on, the cornerback play dipped dramatically. Joe Haden missed time with an injury while Artie Burns had his ups and down. While Haden did play well for the team last season, he has a long history of injuries and the team can save $10 million against the cap by releasing him with a post-June first designation. Starting nickel back Williams Gay is in the last year of his deal and is 33 years old. Adding some youth and size to the cornerback group would be a good idea, and former Stanford CB Quenton Meeks is a great option to do just that.

Round 5, 167th Overall: Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana

Ever since Health Miller retired, the Steelers haven’t had a difference maker at tight end. While the combination Jesse James and Vance McDonald is nice, James is in the last year of his rookie deal and the Steelers can save $4.3 million against the cap by releasing McDonald. I would be shocked to see McDonald back with the Steelers next season at that $4.3 million dollar price. Ian Thomas is more of a wide receiver playing in a tight ends body, but he would bring a new wrinkle to the Steelers high-powered offense.

Round 7, 220th Overall (from Giants): Jake Wieneke, WR, South Dakota State

The Steelers are arguably the best team in the league at drafting and developing wide receivers. Antonio Brown was drafted in the sixth round, Martavis Bryant in the fourth and Eli Rodgers was an undrafted free agent. However, only Brown and Smith-Schuster are currently under contract for the 2019 season. Jake Wieneke is a little-known prospect but can offer the Steelers something they lack at wide receiver; size. Bryant is the only Steelers receiver taller than 6’1” while Wieneke measured in at the East-West Shrine game at 6’4”. When you get down to this portion of the draft, you just have to find players who do whatever it takes to win.

Round 7, 246th Overall: Nyheim Hines, RB, N.C. State

Just because it is the seventh round it doesn’t mean you can sleep on these guys. Nyheim Hines is an extremely quick and shifty running back who can also be used as a slot receiver and has experience returning kicks. Hines is a dangerous open field play maker who will give the Steelers an excellent chess piece weapon on offense, who can also help a special teams unit that ranked 29th in the league on average yards per kick return.

http://breakingfootball.com/2018-nfl-dr ... ock-draft/

Post subject: Re: Random Mocks...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:36 am 

1-Rashaan Evans | LB | Alabama
If the Steelers are going to draft a linebacker to sub in for Ryan Shazier they need to do it early. The Steelers could be banking on Alabama’s Rashaan Evans falling to No. 28 because other than Roquan Smith there isn’t another inside linebacker in this class that would be plug and play like Evans.

2-Marcus Allen | S | Penn State
Some mock drafts have the Steelers taking Penn State safety Marcus Allen in the first round. While that pick wouldn’t be a bad one if he slid to the second round he would be a huge bargain. He’s a ballhawk and exceptional tackler who would look great in the secondary next to Sean Davis.

3-Uchenna Nwosu | LB | USC
Even though the Steelers have devoted significant resources into the outside linebacker position, they aren’t done. The Steelers took the pass-rushing responsibilities off of the outside backers last season in part because of their struggles. If they could get a player like USC’s Uchenna Nwosu he could give them a guy that can line up and rush the passer.

5-Tim Settle | DT | Virginia Tech
If Virginia Tech defensive tackle Tim Settle lasts until the fifth round the Steelers need to sprint to the podium. His measurables might push him down but make no mistake he’s a massive man who can anchor the middle as well as rush the passer.

5-Brandon Facyson | CB | Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech’s Brandon Facyson looks the part of a starting boundary cornerback. He has a long, lean frame with long arms. He also has the makings of some solid coverage skills. He reminds a lot of Brian Allen, who the Steelers took late in the 2017 NFL draft. Another project player but well worth a chance this late.

6-John Kelly | RB | Tennessee
Even if the Steelers bring Le’Veon Bell back, there is still a need for another running back. Guys like Stevan Ridley and Fitzgerald Toussaint are ok but neither inspire confidence. Even James Conner who is recovering from knee surgery might not be able to carry the load. But Tennessee’s John Kelly has the potential to be a special player in the league with his physical running style.

7-Marcus Baugh | TE | Ohio State
Yes, it is a Steelers draft so somewhere late in the picks they have to draft a tight end. Ohio State tight end Marcus Baugh has some interesting physical gifts but he will struggle to make the final roster.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/0 ... ock-draft/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:06 pm 

I would hate to get a QB in this draft but getting Jackson in rd 2 would be doable. Unfortunately, after Jackson, the rest of the draft is crap.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:35 pm 

I think I'd be a lot happier with Elliot in the 3rd than I would be with Allen in the second. Jackson might be an interesting situational piece as a "slash" player, but that's a bit of a luxury pick with the needs on defense. I'd be really pleased with a pass rusher at that 2nd rounder, Elliot in the 3rd.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:07 pm 

In the first one Wieneke and Hines I like. I just don't know that they'll fall to those rounds. No on Jackson. Second one was a lot better to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:49 am 

I get so tired of sites that say hey the Steelers need a safety, and look here is a kid from Penn State, and then mock us taking Marcus Allen. It is lazy, it is stupid.

I want no part of Allen by the way, to me he is DND.
He might be lucky to crack 4.65 in the 40, he also has no ballskills, no hands, 1 career INT in 52 career games??? Was that a typo? Was that supposed to be 11 INTs in 52 games? No, I just checked only one career interception.

This guy is strictly an in the box safety, an old school SS who will be beaten like a drum in coverage. He would have had a fine career playing in the late 80s but it is 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 am 

I have to agree with you and B2B on Allen, Scunge. I watch a lot of Big Ten football during the regular season, and Allen never really stood out to me. Went back and rewatched a little bit, and I still don't see anything special that would be an upgrade over what we already have on the roster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:49 am 

For safety, I hope they target Jessie Bates from Wake Forest. Very good ball skills. Weakness is tackling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:39 am 

I like Watts and Edmunds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 am 

28 DARIUS LEONARD
The Steelers figure to make upgrading at linebacker a top priority this offseason and one player who continues to shoot up draft boards is South Carolina State standout Darius Leonard.

Leonard is a long, rangy linebacker who turned a lot of heads with his performance at the Senior Bowl in Mobile. In his final season at South Carolina State, Leonard registered 114 tackles and 8.5 sacks en route to MEAC Defensive Player of the Year honors. At 6-foot-2, 229 pounds, Leonard doesn’t have great size but he more than makes up with it with his outstanding speed and athletic ability.

Despite playing at a small school, Leonard has plenty of experience playing against top-level FBS competition, as some of his best games during his Bulldogs career came against teams like UCF and Clemson. Leonard seems like just the type of player who could explode onto the national radar with an impressive performance at the Combine and his athletic profile bodes well for a selection at this range in the first round. If Leonard isn’t the selection, expect the Steelers to take a long look at UTSA’s Marcus Davenport if he’s still on the board.

It helps that the Steelers may also be familiar with the Bulldogs star after taking former teammate Javon Hargrave with the team’s third-round pick in the 2016 Draft. After getting great production out of 2017 top pick T.J. Watt on the edge, the addition of Darius Leonard inside would go a long way towards replacing the athleticism in the linebacking corps that is now lacking with the absence of Ryan Shazier.

60 CHAD THOMAS
The Steelers continue with the defensive trend in round two with one of the most athletic edge prospects in the class, Miami’s Chad Thomas.

Thomas (6-foot-5, 277 pounds) registered 11+ sacks in each of his final two seasons with the Hurricanes and figures to hear his name called on Day 2 of the draft. He is able to use his outstanding length (34-inch arm length) and is one of the most fluid athletes for the position in this class.

There are still some raw elements to Thomas’ game but with the recent hire of Alabama defensive line coach Karl Dunbar to the same position with Pittsburgh, there are plenty of reasons to believe that Thomas’ potential can be unlocked once he reaches the NFL level. A potential combination of T.J. Watt and Thomas on the edge seems awfully enticing proposition for defensive coordinator Keith Butler and a Steelers defense who finished first in the NFL in sacks in 2017.

Perhaps even more interesting than Thomas’ talents on the field are his musical talents off the field. If all goes well for Thomas and the Steelers, we could eventually see a 21st century version of the “Super Bowl Shuffle.”

92 KYZIR WHITE
Safety Mike Mitchell could wind up as a cap casualty this offseason and if that happens, expect Pittsburgh to look for an upgrade at safety within the first three rounds.

West Virginia standout Kyzir White (brother of former Bears’ first-round pick Kevin White) is an extremely athletic safety with great size for the position. White excels at playing downhill and loves to punish ball carriers in the middle of the field, especially when playing in the box. In addition to his play on the field, White is also a leader in the locker room, serving as the Mountaineers’ team captain during his senior season.

White probably isn’t as athletically gifted from a numbers standpoint as his brother Kevin and doesn’t have the range as a center fielder that you may desire in a free safety. Because he’s such a big hitter, he can also tend to get sloppy in his tackling technique and fail to wrap up, but his size and lower leg drive tend to make up for that in most situations.

Even if the Steelers decide to keep Mitchell for 2018, both he and backup safety JJ Wilcox will be unrestricted free agents after next season. The team will count on the continued development of Sean Davis in his third season and adding a player like Kyzir White in the third round will undoubtedly give them one of the best young safety tandems in the NFL.

139 RILEY FERGUSON
The long-term future of Ben Roethlisberger will be discussed quite a bit over the next several months and all of that discussion will have an impact on whether or not they select a quarterback in 2018. Even if Big Ben sees a contract extension, Landry Jones will be an unrestricted free agent following next season, so it stands to reason that the Steelers could look for a late-round developmental quarterback.

After taking over for former first-rounder Paxton Lynch, Memphis’ Riley Ferguson (6-foot-2, 196 pounds) established himself as one of the best quarterbacks in the American Athletic Conference. With fellow draft prospect Anthony Miller serving as his top target, Ferguson passed for 70 total touchdowns and just 19 interceptions over the past two seasons as the Tigers’ starting quarterback.

Ferguson’s durability due to a lanky build may be a concern and his disappointing weigh-in at the Shrine Game (he was listed at 6-foot-4, 210 pounds) certainly didn’t do him any favors. He’s got enough arm strength but has an extremely long release that will have to be corrected for him to have a chance at a future starting gig in the NFL.

He’s going to be a project but with Big Ben and Landry Jones in place for the time being, the Steelers can afford to take a flyer on a prospect like Ferguson in the hopes he turns into a late-round gem.

156 LEVI WALLACE
You can never have enough cornerback depth and I would expect Pittsburgh to explore the possibility of adding a corner late in this draft if the opportunity presents itself.

Wallace weighs in at just 176 pounds but possesses outstanding length with 33 3/8-inch arms. He turned himself into a valuable member of a loaded Crimson Tide secondary, logging three interceptions in 2017, including one that went for a pick-six against Ole Miss.

The aforementioned hire of Karl Dunbar gives the Steelers a nice intel pipeline into the Alabama profile and could pounce on the opportunity to draft a player from the Tide defense at some point during this draft.

220 JAVON WIMS
The Steelers have scouted big wide receivers fairly aggressive during this draft cycle and with Martvais Bryant scheduled to hit free agency after next season, it’s highly likely that they use another pick on the position in the later rounds.

Georgia’s Javon Wims (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) has excellent size for the position and does a great job at leaping and high-pointing the football. He racked up 720 yards and seven touchdowns this season for the Bulldogs and should be an interesting name to watch at the Combine, where I expect him to post some impressive numbers, particularly in the vertical jump.

https://fansided.com/2018/02/13/pittsbu ... -rounds/4/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 pm 

IMHO, Chad Thomas should be there in the 5th round for their pick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 pm 

I think Rolland-Jones the better prospect at or around the same RND.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:12 pm 

Darius Leonard as a 1st round pick... for the Pittsburgh Steelers of the Colbert era?

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Slightly over aged (5th year senior)
Small school competition

not their style

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 am 

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers seven-round mock draft: March 6

1. ILB Leighton Vander Esch of Boise State — The nightmare scenario for the Steelers is the top four inside linebackers being selected before they draft at No. 28. Roquan Smith of Georgia and Tremaine Edmunds of Virginia Tech will be long gone, but Vander Esch and Rashaan Evans are players who might be available. Evans was the pick on mock 1.0, but if he’s taken by another linebacker-needy team before the Steelers pick, they’ll have to move on to the next prospect. They’ll then have to hope Vander Esch slides to them.

He is one of the hot prospects after testing very well at the combine. He undoubtedly helped his draft stock, but starting for only one season at a school like Boise State could push him toward the end of the first round. Because he’s the fourth inside linebacker with a first-round grade, the Steelers should pick him and insert him into the starting lineup right away as the replacement for Ryan Shazier. He was productive in his only season as a starter, showing an ability to run sideline to sideline. He also showed the requisite skills necessary to be effective covering tight ends and running backs in the passing game. Of course, the Steelers would have to break their tradition of investing No. 1 picks in players from Power 5 conferences.

General manager Kevin Colbert has never been shy about his desire to draft players who faced the highest level of competition in college. However, faced with the need to replace Shazier as well as Vander Esch’s potential to develop, the Steelers might be willing to change their thinking. If Evans and Vander Esch are gone by the time the Steelers pick, then they’ll likely move on to another position and look to draft an inside linebacker later in the draft. The other prospects on the inside are not as complete as the four who are projected to go in Round 1.

Also considered: S Ronnie Harrison of Alabama

2. S Jessie Bates of Wake Forest — The Steelers must improve the back end of their defense, and selecting Bates would give them a chance to do that. He fits the profile of a player the Steelers like to draft early. He’s an ascending player with his best football in front of him. Bates left Wake Forest after his redshirt sophomore season and won’t turn 22 until October. New defensive backs coach Tom Bradley would get a raw player he can develop and mold to his liking. Bates is good enough right now to step in and start as a rookie if the Steelers cut Mike Mitchell. Or, if they keep Mitchell, Bates can add versatility as a top reserve and take over starting duties in 2019.

Also considered: CB Donte Jackson of LSU

3. RB Akrum Wadley of Iowa — With Le’Veon Bell likely entering his final season with the Steelers, the team can look for someone to pair with James Conner for a potential tandem in 2019. Why draft a running back this high this year? Well, given Bell’s past injuries and his threat to hold out into the season or retire, the Steelers must protect themselves. Even if Bell reports on time and plays a full season, drafting a prospect would give the Steelers a better option than Fitzgerald Toussaint, or someone like him, as the No. 3 running back next season.

Wadley is a smallish back with potential as a rotational player. He is not big enough to be an every-down back, but he could thrive as a change-of-pace back as a runner and a receiver on third downs. He doesn’t have to play a big role as a rookie, but if Bell leaves after the 2018 season, the Steelers can get a sneak peek at what a running back rotation with Wadley might look like. More teams around the league are going to a rotation rather than a feature back. It certainly worked last season for the Patriots and the Eagles, as well as several other playoff teams.

Also considered: WR Anthony Miller of Memphis

4. No pick

5a. (via San Francisco) — TE Troy Fumagalli of Wisconsin — The Steelers took a long look at all of the tight ends at the combine, a sign they’d like to add a rookie to the group in 2018. That makes sense considering Jesse James is entering the final year of his rookie contract and Vance McDonald struggled with injuries last season. Fumagalli improved as a blocker last season and can get open against zone defenses. He’s a good solid option as a No. 2 tight end if James is not signed to a second contract.

Also considered: TE Tyler Conklin of Central Michigan

5b. — LB Shaquem Griffin of Central Florida — The Steelers would like to add more high-character players to the mix, a trend they started with last year’s draft. In Griffin, the Steelers get perhaps the most inspirational player in the 2018 draft class. Griffin had his left hand amputated when he was 4 due to a birth defect, but he hasn’t let that affect his drive to compete at the highest level on the football field. At 6 feet 1, 227 pounds, Griffin doesn’t have a true position right now. It will be up to a creative defensive coordinator to figure out the best way to use him. Enter Keith Butler. Instead of using slot corner Mike Hilton as a blitzer so often the Steelers could now use Griffin in that role. Or instead of bringing Vince Williams so often as a blitzer, just insert Griffin and let him do damage as a pass rusher. Griffin can be a joker of sorts, a player who can fill a variety of roles. At the very least, he will add an immediate impact as a special teams player and what Mike Tomlin refers to as an “energy bringer.”

Also considered: S Troy Apke of Penn State

7a. (via New York Giants) WR Quadree Henderson of Pitt — The Steelers could use another slot receiver to compete for a roster spot. Eli Rogers is a restricted free agent and his availability for training camp is in doubt due to a knee injury suffered in the playoff game against Jacksonville. Henderson would provide an immediate upgrade to the kickoff and punt return units while possibly making an impact as a situational role player on offense. Yes, I know the Steelers haven’t had a lot of luck with diminutive niche players in recent years. But Dri Archer and Chris Rainey were taken in the third and fifth rounds, respectively. Taking a chance on Henderson in the seventh round isn’t a big gamble. The Steelers are set with their top three receivers. It’s not as if they need him to be anything more than a gadget player on offense. And maybe his impact as a returner is well worth the pick by season’s end.

Also considered: WR Justin Watson of Penn

7b. DL Matt Dickerson of UCLA — The Steelers can afford to add some depth along the defensive line and a developmental prospect such as Dickerson could pay dividends down the road. Dickerson never played to his potential in college due to injuries, but Tom Bradley coached him, and he could develop in time under new defensive line coach Karl Dunbar if his injury issues are behind him. The Steelers took a chance on Daniel McCullers in the sixth round in 2014. That didn’t work out, but maybe this late-round pick will.

Also considered: DL Lowell Lotuleilei of Utah

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1803070039

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:31 am 

uhhh that would be a new tv kind of draft for me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:30 am 

McShay's most recent shows his lack of any research.

Quote:
28. Pittsburgh Steelers

Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina*

Hurst is a big (6-4, 250), athletic target who can contribute immediately. A former pro baseball player, Hurst has good ball skills and can help stretch the seam for Ben Roethlisberger and that potent Pittsburgh offense. He's also a good blocker.

I would challenge him to find a time when Mike Tomlin drafted anyone over 21 in the 1st round. No team in their right mind would draft a 25 year old in the 1st round.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:17 pm 

Andy Reid did it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:21 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
uhhh that would be a new tv kind of draft for me

I don't know if I'd be chucking the TV, but I certainly haven't bought into LVE in the first yet. Donte Jackson could be a pretty good CB, and if the plan is to move Sutton to S, then maybe you go that route. You can do better than Wadley in r3. Griffin would be great at that spot, and Dree is a hometown guy with some serious open field moves. Not the worst ever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 pm 

Like the first two picks solid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 pm 

BY DAVE BRYAN MARCH 7, 2018 AT 06:30 PM

Now that we have 2018 NFL Scouting Combine behind us it’s time for me to release my second Pittsburgh Steelers mock draft of the offseason. Unlike my first mock draft that I posted right after the Senior Bowl, I did not use Fanspeak. This time, I reverted back to the old school method of placing players I think the Steelers might like in the rounds I think they might could be drafted.

As usual, I urge you to critique the players I have in this mock and not the round I have them being drafted. It makes for a better exercise for all of us if you do that. Tell me what you like, dislike or hope to learn more about each player.

Round 1 – Pick No. 28 Overall – S Justin Reid – Stanford – Reid is an incredibly smart and position flexible player with an NFL bloodline to boot. If the Steelers address the inside linebacker position during free agency with a higher-dollar player like I think they might, it will be hard not to mock a free safety type to them in the first-round up until the draft takes place. Reid, who had an excellent combine, figures to be a late first or early second-round selection. He played seven different positions during his career at Stanford — right cornerback, left cornerback, strong safety, free safety, nickel, dime and outside linebacker. The Steelers love drafting players with position flexibility and to top things off, Reid’s 134.2 SPARQ score will also have Pittsburgh’s attention. Reid has the potential to be the Steelers next free safety for several years to come.

Round 2 – Pick No. 60 Overall – OLB Josh Sweat – Florida State – The Steelers need depth at the outside linebacker position and especially behind Bud Dupree, who might not be back after the 2018 season if he doesn’t have his fifth year option picked up this offseason. While Dupree is certain to start in 2018 on the left side, having a developmental edge rusher such as Sweat behind him would be ideal. Will he last to the Steelers in the second? It’s hard to say after he posted a 142.4 SPARQ score at the combine. Personally, I think Sweat might wind up being drafted somewhere late in Round 2 so that’s why I put him in this mock. He has played on his feet some at FSU and that would help with his conversion to a 3-4 outside linebacker. Sweat finishes his college career with 14.5 sacks and 138 tackles in 32 games. His injury history might be the reason he falls. I have to think the Steelers will be present at his pro day.

Round 3 – Pick No. 92 Overall – ILB Genard Avery – Memphis – Avery was used as a hybrid linebacker at Memphis and thus lined up on the edge and off-the-ball. He’s a pure athlete and his off-the-ball tape is quite fascinating. He can play out in space well and while there aren’t many instances of him covering down the field, he’s a fluid enough of an athlete to do that. He tested great at the combine and while he’s probably not day-one starter material, he potentially could be one at the weak inside position and a special teams demon and backup as a rookie. Avery was a two-time first-team all-AAC selection at linebacker. He finished his career second in career tackles-for-loss, with 45.5. His 21.5 career sacks are third in school history, including 8.5 in 2017. A bit of a reach here, maybe? It’s possible.

Round 5 – Pick No. 148 Overall – RB Kalen Ballage – Arizona State – The Steelers could use a third running back behind Le’Veon Bell and James Conner in 2018 and Ballage would likely be a good developmental runner. The 123.4 SPARQ score he posted art the combine should make Ballage attractive to the Steelers and with so many good running backs in this year’s draft class, he might just fall to the fifth round. Ballage had 1,984 rushing yards and 27 rushing touchdowns in college on 450 total carries. He also caught 82 passes for another 684 yards and 2 touchdowns at Arizona State.

Round 5 – Pick No. 165 Overall – WR Jester Weah – Pittsburgh – Weah is a bigger bodied wide receiver with some speed. While not the field-stretcher that Martavis Bryant is, he can still get separation down the field and he catches with his hands. He had a small drop problem at Pittsburgh but is good after the catch and in traffic. He didn’t however, make many jaw-dropping catches in college from what I have seen. He’s a more than willing blocker, a physical player and thus should be able to contribute on special teams as a rookie.

Round 7 – Pick No. 220 Overall – TE Durham Smythe – Notre Dame – The Steelers appear to be set at their top-two tight end spots right now. Unless Vance McDonald or Jesse James are cut, they shouldn’t address the position during the first two days of the draft. If the Steelers draft a tight end at all this year, I think it might be in the sixth or seventh round and one that excels as a blocker more than a pass catcher. Smythe appears to fit the bill on tape I have watched of him. He only had 28 catches for 381 yards during his college career but did register 6 touchdowns. If drafted by the Steelers, he should be able to play on special teams if he can make the 53-man roster.

Round 7 – Pick No. 246 Overall – NT Joshua Frazier – Alabama – Frazier is a developmental defensive tackle and one new Steelers defensive line coach Karl Dunbar knows well. The Steelers will likely need to draft another defensive tackle this year with Daniel McCullers unlikely to be back in 2018. If the Steelers address this position with a cheap free agent, then perhaps they will draft a defensive end type to challenge L.T. Walton instead.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/br ... g-combine/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 pm 

I love how he acts like SPARQ is some kind of magic formula until he gets to the second round 5 pick, and then it's like, fuck SPARQ!

I feel like SPARQ for certain positions is great, for others I don't care that much-- but, if anything, I think it is perfect for late-round picks, because it assures that you have something to build on, and you're going to have to build them from scratch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:11 am 

I noticed that too B2B. I agree with your logic applying SPARQ to the late RND guys. You know what you have 'usually' in the top RND's that's why they are taken in the top RND's. To be honest, I don't like Reid in the 1st RND. Big reach IMHO. Not a fan of Sweat. FC made a comment the other day during the combine saying this was a Steeler pick unfortunately. I feel the same way. Tested like tarzan plays like jane. I agree Dupree needs to get pushed. Either to playing a lot better or off the roster completely. If Lorenzo Carter was to be there at 60 I target him for edge. I disagree with Bryan, I believe they target a FA safety like they've always done and then target a 1st RND ILB. Perhaps look at safety in the later RND's. I do like Ballage and Smythe. Smythe is that blocking TE prospect that can catch. Ballage is that later RND sleeper type IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 am 

Man, it's such a shame that Pierre-Louis has legal trouble, because he's IDEAL as a value buy FA.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:00 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I noticed that too B2B. I agree with your logic applying SPARQ to the late RND guys. You know what you have 'usually' in the top RND's that's why they are taken in the top RND's. To be honest, I don't like Reid in the 1st RND. Big reach IMHO. Not a fan of Sweat. FC made a comment the other day during the combine saying this was a Steeler pick unfortunately. I feel the same way. Tested like tarzan plays like jane. I agree Dupree needs to get pushed. Either to playing a lot better or off the roster completely. If Lorenzo Carter was to be there at 60 I target him for edge. I disagree with Bryan, I believe they target a FA safety like they've always done and then target a 1st RND ILB. Perhaps look at safety in the later RND's. I do like Ballage and Smythe. Smythe is that blocking TE prospect that can catch. Ballage is that later RND sleeper type IMO.

I'd take Carter in the 1st. As much attention as Edmunds is getting, Carter should be getting more. Edmunds is long. Carter is longer. Edmunds is athletic. Carter is moreso. Edmunds is position flexible and has tape to prove it. Carter has the same and more, from a better conference against elite competition. He also checks most of the Steeler draft tendency boxes for the 1st round. If he's there at 28, I might applaud a podium sprint.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:59 pm 

Ice wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

I'd take Carter in the 1st. As much attention as Edmunds is getting, Carter should be getting more. Edmunds is long. Carter is longer. Edmunds is athletic. Carter is moreso. Edmunds is position flexible and has tape to prove it. Carter has the same and more, from a better conference against elite competition. He also checks most of the Steeler draft tendency boxes for the 1st round. If he's there at 28, I might applaud a podium sprint.

one guy is 19 and the other is, what, 23?. I think that's the thing. Carter is more of a finished product (still raw) and Edmunds is a freak at 19. I would take Edmunds over Carter purely as an ILB, but I think Carter can play in any defensive front and excel at LB.