It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 GM Board Draft Discussion Thread!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:05 pm 

stillenigma wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
stillenigma wrote:
There is a slam dunk pick here that also fits the Steelers MO. Don’t overthink it.

I don't generally pick for the Steelers' MO, but if I were... I'm not sure who that would be.

Their first round MO:

young player
position of need
productive in major conference
culture fit

Justin Reid

I will make an avatar bet for a year that there is zero chance the Pittsburgh Steelers will draft Justin Reid this year.

They seem very reluctant to pick early from out west-- Decastro was an exception. Their pro day is the same day as Ohio State, so chances are neither Tomlin nor Colbert is going to go to Stanford pro day (something they always do before picking a 1st round player) and... they simply don't believe they can chance an actual anthem protest in Heinz Field with their #1 pick. The fanbase fucking twisted themselves inside and out with apoplectic outrage from a non anthem protest, and don't think the ownership didn't notice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 pm 

I don’t buy the West angle. JuJu was West, too. I would guess Tomlin and Shaw know each other decently well as part of a small fraternity of pretty successful black coaches. I hadn’t thought of the protest angle. That will have been vetted during the interview process, so who knows. As you said, we will have a better idea after pro days.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:41 pm 

stillenigma wrote:
I don’t buy the West angle. JuJu was West, too. I would guess Tomlin and Shaw know each other decently well as part of a small fraternity of pretty successful black coaches. I hadn’t thought of the protest angle. That will have been vetted during the interview process, so who knows. As you said, we will have a better idea after pro days.

I know that Justin did some interviews explaining support for the protest-- or, more accurately, he explained that he sees the protest as a form of civil rights protest and not a protest vs the military nor flag.

As for out West: (2) 1st round picks in 22 years. Decastro (fell unexpectedly to them) & Troy (obvious outlier).

I just don't think they feel as strongly about their scouting on the west coast or don't think highly of the Pac 12 or something along those lines.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:30 am 

Anyone looking to trade up for the Colts pick i will listen to offers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:03 am 

Nick Foles still on the block, SP.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:05 am 

I will make my pick at 9ish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:16 am 

Also, cheers to 58. Basically snagged two solid first round picks with his first and second picks. Jackson also being represented by my boy Gary Vaynerchuk's new venture, Vaynersports. Great dude, and wish him luck in the sports management foray. Wine Library TV was the best, and did a bunch for making a sort of stagnant wine industry a little more populist.

And hey, Nick Foles. Super Bowl MVP.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 am 

Ice wrote:
Also, cheers to 58. Basically snagged two solid first round picks with his first and second picks. Jackson also being represented by my boy Gary Vaynerchuk's new venture, Vaynersports. Great dude, and wish him luck in the sports management foray. Wine Library TV was the best, and did a bunch for making a sort of stagnant wine industry a little more populist.

And hey, Nick Foles. Super Bowl MVP.

Thanks Ice. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 am 

Ryan Tannehill is on the trade block for picks.

PM if interested.

He's ready to roll. He told us so. He could be yours. Let's make a deal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Anyone interested in trading up for pick 28th? Now would be a good time.

you should just make a pick, trading back is completely unrealistic for tombert...in fact you should be sprinting to the podium lol

Players on my board taken ahead of 28:
Quote:
1 2 NYG - JackLambert58 - Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
1 3 IND - jebrick - Bradley Chubb, EDGE, North Carolina State
1 4 CLE- SP - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
1 6 CLE- SP (fr NYJ) - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
1 7 TB - OhioSteeler - Derwin James, Safety, Florida State
1 8 CHI - sheppardmj-Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
1 9 SF - FC -Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
1 10 OAK - Pabst - Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
1 12 CIN - FortyThree - Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
1 16 BAL - SteelDrama - Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
1 17 LAC - Obviously - Vita Vea, NT, Washington
1 18 SEA - fractal - Arden Key, EDGE, LSU
1 19 DAL - STD - Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
1 20 DET - CharlesDemarr - Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
1 21 BUF - GreekSteel - Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State
1 22 BUF - GreekSteel - Maurice Hurst, DL, Michigan
1 23 LAR - sgtrobo - Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
1 25 TEN - Ironzabo - Rashaan Evans LB Alabama
1 27 NOR - ol skool Harold Landry of Boston College

That's 19 guys, more than I can ever remember coming off my board before any 1st round pick I've had.

Wasn't Hurst sent home from the combine with some type of heart issue?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:
Wasn't Hurst sent home from the combine with some type of heart issue?

He was, but not expected to be serious.

By the way, I was blowing a lot of smoke... was all set to take Reid or Lorenzo Carter at 37, only... you see how that worked out.

By the way, I think Reid, Carter, Griffin-- all examples of players that SHOULD be on the Steelers' radar. Multi-tools who can do a lot of stuff, are extremely productive/disruptive. All three make plays at all levels of the defense, can man cover, play the run, blitz, have ball skills.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:55 am 

I think Griffin will be a special teams demon. I also think he will go on day 3. If he had 2 hands he would be picked in the top 25. Giving up the chance for interceptions and the issues with tackling will drive him down.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:57 am 

Shaquiem Griffin???? :lol: :lol: Sorry B2B all due respect to you, what a laughable pick, i just mock broke my tv set..im callin for yours/colbertsand tomlins head now...wow what a downer of a pick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:00 am 

jebrick wrote:
I think Griffin will be a special teams demon. I also think he will go on day 3. If he had 2 hands he would be picked in the top 25. Giving up the chance for interceptions and the issues with tackling will drive him down.

He had no issues getting INTs in college. Looked good catching it at combine. I'm not sure that's a big issue for him. IRL, I believe he goes no later than last 1/3 of round 3.

The tackling-- he's unorthodox, but it's not like he misses a lot from not being able to grasp. Like a lot of really fast players who go a million mph, he misses tackles from overrunning more than hands issues. He can't help but remind you of Troy-- combo S/LB with great burst and always around the football-- and Troy never used his hands to tackle, either. FWIW, Griffin had the same number of INTs in college as did Troy Polamalu.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:40 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
jebrick wrote:

He had no issues getting INTs in college. Looked good catching it at combine. I'm not sure that's a big issue for him. IRL, I believe he goes no later than last 1/3 of round 3.

The tackling-- he's unorthodox, but it's not like he misses a lot from not being able to grasp. Like a lot of really fast players who go a million mph, he misses tackles from overrunning more than hands issues. He can't help but remind you of Troy-- combo S/LB with great burst and always around the football-- and Troy never used his hands to tackle, either. FWIW, Griffin had the same number of INTs in college as did Troy Polamalu.

b2b, while I appreciate your comparisons of Griffin to Troy, as hands go, I can tell you Troy's were one of his greatest assets. As someone that has shook hands with Troy on several occasions, for a guy his height and weight, he has some seriously big and muscular paws on him - I mean freak-like thickness. First time I shook his hand, I was like WOW, I can see why once he got his hands on you/the ball you/it weren't going anywhere. I was truly amazed, and I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of players (seriously not bragging)! I do realize Troy had a penchant for low missile tackles and not wrapping up, but rest assured, his hands were more than capable of rag-dolling the biggest/strongest of dudes. While Griffin certainly compensates nicely for only having one hand, his lack of a hand will not be an asset like Troy's two were. Not even close.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:24 pm 

DP39 wrote:
his lack of a hand will not be an asset like Troy's two were. Not even close.

Sheesh.

I actually like the pick, and while you could wait till the Steelers R2, you're definitely taking a chance that somebody doesn't fall in love with the guy and draft him just ahead of you. I agree, early 2nd to mid-3rd is about the window for this kid, and if you're looking to guarantee he's on the team in August, and you're sitting at 37...

The Steelers currently have ZERO explosive players on defense, and this draft is thin on them. May not be the "safe" pick, but it's also, considering what the board looks like, a gamble worth taking if you're sold on the kid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:44 pm 

I mean, obviously, if he had Troy's hands, he'd be, without question, a top 15 pick.

Surely you get some value out of Jabril Peppers' return game, but can anyone honestly say he was a better defensive prospect than one-handed Shaquem Griffin? Peppers went 1.25! Neither Troy nor Peppers could line up in the wide slot vs a speed receiver and not only carry him on a go route 40 yards downfield, but also outplay him for the ball in the air. Honey Badger can't do that, Sean Davis can't do that. Mike Mitchell can't do that. And Griffin does it 25lbs heavier than the next biggest guy.

Besides, look at the board. It was either take a player at one of the deepest positions on the team (and most of those position groups in this draft have depth for days) strictly as BPA, or take a guy that fits, who can help, and who is better than people realize.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I mean, obviously, if he had Troy's hands, he'd be, without question, a top 15 pick.

Surely you get some value out of Jabril Peppers' return game, but can anyone honestly say he was a better defensive prospect than one-handed Shaquem Griffin? Peppers went 1.25! Neither Troy nor Peppers could line up in the wide slot vs a speed receiver and not only carry him on a go route 40 yards downfield, but also outplay him for the ball in the air. Honey Badger can't do that, Sean Davis can't do that. Mike Mitchell can't do that. And Griffin does it 25lbs heavier than the next biggest guy.

Besides, look at the board. It was either take a player at one of the deepest positions on the team (and most of those position groups in this draft have depth for days) strictly as BPA, or take a guy that fits, who can help, and who is better than people realize.

im willing to acknowledge some of us may be wrong and he may just possibly be better than some people (like me) realize but he also may be nothing more than what others think a severly limited light 1 handed ILB. He aint going top 50 imo and ill be surprised if he goes top 100 just my opinion of course.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:01 pm 

Great pick treat..Gisecki on the packers? Hell of a fit in that offesnse and with AR throwing to him, matchup nightmare indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:08 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Great pick treat..Gisecki on the packers? Hell of a fit in that offesnse and with AR throwing to him, matchup nightmare indeed.

Great athlete-- anybody got a clip of him threatening the seam? To me, Gesicki is a very athletic big WR. Nothing wrong with that, and it might work on the Packers, but Gesicki isn't as good as his workout. I sense a theme with the Penn State guys: the strength and conditioning program must be ridiculously good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:09 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

Great athlete-- anybody got a clip of him threatening the seam? To me, Gesicki is a very athletic big WR. Nothing wrong with that, and it might work on the Packers, but Gesicki isn't as good as his workout. I sense a theme with the Penn State guys: the strength and conditioning program must be ridiculously good.

I agree on the WR assessment. He is a more natural catcher than JJ ( who tends to fight the ball).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:11 pm 

As far as TEs go, I like Tyler Conklin in the middle rounds. Hell of a good athlete, and plays with a bit of nastiness.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:12 pm 

jebrick wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

I agree on the WR assessment. He is a more natural catcher than JJ ( who tends to fight the ball).

id rather roll the dice by far on Giseckis rawness and natural atheltic ability than Shaqs ability to play at his weight and physical limitations but thats just me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:12 pm 

jebrick wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

Actually love Gesicki's hands and body control when leaping. Plays above the rim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:14 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
id rather roll the dice by far on Giseckis rawness and natural atheltic ability than Shaqs ability to play at his weight and physical limitations but thats just me.

Griffin's tape is so much better than Gesicki's. It's not close. Watch the tape and forget about his hand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next